New Blu-Ray Information

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

drsiebling

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Hello all...

I had a chance to view a pretty nice Blu-Ray demo this weekend at Starpower Home Theatre in Dallas. They showed some excellent clips on a new 61" Sony SXRD and the PQ was outstanding. Scenes from Spider Man 2, and the DVD/Blu-Ray split screen demo from Lawrence of Arabia were particularly impressive. This technology is ready for prime time!

In speaking with the rep from sony, he indicated that the players being released in the first wave from Sony ES and Samsung are going to carry a suggested price of $995. He anticipates pretty heavy discounting with many of the players falling in at around $700.

Anyway, I'm very excited about this technology!

Maybe I'll ask Santa for one; unless he recommends HD-DVD. I just had to upgrade my HD DTV boxes to the "new" HD standard this week. Sigh. This hobby is expensive!

drsiebling said:
Hello all...

I had a chance to view a pretty nice Blu-Ray demo this weekend at Starpower Home Theatre in Dallas. They showed some excellent clips on a new 61" Sony SXRD and the PQ was outstanding. Scenes from Spider Man 2, and the DVD/Blu-Ray split screen demo from Lawrence of Arabia were particularly impressive. This technology is ready for prime time!

In speaking with the rep from sony, he indicated that the players being released in the first wave from Sony ES and Samsung are going to carry a suggested price of $995. He anticipates pretty heavy discounting with many of the players falling in at around $700.

Anyway, I'm very excited about this technology!
I don't think you see any prices below $1000. as these players are in very limited allocation and dealer discounts are only 25% anyway. They are projected to be available the end of June or July 2006. Hope they make their schedule.

-Robert

I have always assumed as with every other device these guys make, that Pioneer Elite (average and way over $)and Sony ES (decent but over $) will always TRY to command the higher prices, lets say $1300, so the typical player would come in say $899 and a strip down version around $599 - street prices. At the $700 - $900 price point I will still wait for the Blu-Ray even if its 6mos later than the HD-DVD.

I think the real question is what will the street prices for BD & HD-DVD players be for the Christmas buying season.

Maybe if I wait until December 2007 I can get a BD player/burner for not much more than $500or $600. I can hope.

And I thought the first BD players were announced to be released in May?

Players under $600/$300, yes. It's the player-recorder I'm hoping for. But then again, with DVRs and my HTPC, maybe the recorder part isn't that important.

Don't see how BR will win the format war if their players cost hundreds more. That does not follow the price driven model for most electronics.

Last edited:
samatha6 said:
Don't see how BR will win the format war if their players cost hundreds more. That does not follow the price driven model for most electronics.

The problem with BR right now is that no one wants to put out a $500 player. If you put out a $500 player you will be competing with the PS3. Why as a consumer buy a $500 player when you can get a PS3 and get a video game too. I do not see any players close to $500 until they go below $300, and the PS3 is not competition any more.

samatha6 said:

I am not on one side or the other but thats how I see it as well. I think BluRay may keep high end fans and techno fanatics but if HD DVD gets the head start, prices are 50% lower, and just as many titles as BR, then I cant see how or why HD DVD wont become the pervasive format.

Sales of these units will be small the first year or 2, at least. And after that, there may not be such a big price difference.

Gotta remember, only about 10% or so of homes have HDTVs, and most of them, IIRC, do not have an HD source and may not be motivated/educated enough to get one. So it's a lot more expensive to buy an HDTV and player than it was to buy a CD or DVD player when they came out.

The winner may be made more by content providers than consumers, esp if they prefer copy protection of one more than the other. Starving a format of content will put it in the bin with laser discs.

mike123abc said:
The problem with BR right now is that no one wants to put out a $500 player. If you put out a $500 player you will be competing with the PS3.

This is their fairy tale, don't believe it. The fact of the matter is Blu-Ray costs MUCH MORE than HD_DVD.
Ah and there's no PS3 out there at all... ;)

Why as a consumer buy a $500 player when you can get a PS3 and get a video game too.

Because you cannot get a PS3 at all. PS3 so far doesn't exist yet, especially not with Blu-Ray.

I do not see any players close to $500 until they go below $300, and the PS3 is not competition any more.

FYI: PS3 closest appereance now is November, promised by Sony - personally I rather believe Christmas...
If anybody would be able to produce a Blu-Ray player or *anything* for $500, they would have released it already, immediately, to be able compete with Toshiba, it's quite obvious for me.

samatha6 said:

We carried 3 of the initial DVD players in March of 1997(?) The Sony 7000 at $1k and a 799 and 599 Panasonic. The Sony was worth 3 of the Panasonics and was an excellent value. With 1 model the Sony out sold the Panasonic models, 2 to 1. For every 1400 in Panasonic sales we had 4k in Sony sales. Over the years, I've learned an important lesson about Sony. The first generation of their products are tanks, work well and are nearly indestructable. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts