New Cablevision Install

tiraggi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
long island n.y.
I'm scheduled for a new install on 4/18 (Triple Play) and am dumping D*. Can anyone tell me what HD-DVR Cablevision will be installing? Does it have HDMI/DVI interface, optical audio out or coax? And lastly, are you happy with the PQ (HD / SD) from CV? I just hope I'm not making a mistake by switching. We will see...:confused:

8300 HD DVR. Make sure to call them and ask them to give you the one that has firewire. To give you an option in the future.

I just got installed last week for the basic family package. Yes it has HDMI and optical audio coax and the other type (don't remember name).

The positive is that you can add more space to the DVR if you nee more hours of HD. Check this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=528330#post528330 I ordered the 400 GB HD and I should have it this week. About the PQ, I am very positive about what I have seen on INHD, INHD2 and SNY HD. I watched Leno last night on NBC HD and compared to the NBC HD I get OTA and I was quite happy to see that the similarity between the PQ was there. I haven't checked the rest of the HD channels yet but I will.

Thanks, Sean.
The only things that I'll probably miss from D* is Discovery HD, and the HD Nets. The rest of the BS i will not miss. Hopefully, CV will add these channels in the near future.

tiraggi said:
Thanks, Sean.
The only things that I'll probably miss from D* is Discovery HD, and the HD Nets. The rest of the BS i will not miss. Hopefully, CV will add these channels in the near future.
Itiraggi , Im just like you I recentally just switched from D* also (got the Double Play, Cable & Internet)

I am very happy with the picture quality on CV over D*, HD is noticably much sharper than D* is doing now (HD-Lite)

I too miss Discovery-HD, Hopefully CV will be adding this soon :(

You will still get the Nets-HD on YES-HD on ch 715,
PLUS we now get INHD & INHD2, and ALL Our Local RSN's in HD (YES-HD, SNY-HD, MSG-HD & FSNY-HD) Plus Starz-HD.
It is also rumored that we will be getting the Voom channels soon :)

The SA8300 HD-DVR is NO tivo, but it is usable and gets the job done,
Plus as Sean said its real easy to add a external hard drive, its simple Plug n Play. You cant do this with the HD-Tivo.
I have added a 250G external hardrive to me SA8300HDDVR and I now have nearly 50 hours of HD recording space.

I am Very happy with CV's HD offerings,
Mostly because they dont downrezz and you will see a noticable difference in HD Sharpness coming over from D* HD.

Just check out the Razor picture of tonights Met game on SNY ch 730. You will be Amazed by the Clarity and Sharpness,
this is the way HD should be!!! NOT what D* is calling HD :down

EVERYTHING will be PERFECT when Tivo releases the Series3 HD-DVR in a few months, :bow
When this happens I probably will NEVER go back to D* :neener

Last edited:
Made the switch too - hoping it works out

Curious about the comment - make sure it's the one with the firewire. The boxes are not all the same? I had the SA manual up because I wanted to see if there was an OTA tuner and during the conversation I got excited about the firewire port because I have a digital VHS recorder that I was never really able to take full advantage of. The 921 I purchased did not support firewire even though it had a port. Triple play install set for sunday. Already have Optimum online, but upgrading it to Boost. Anything you guys would recommed I get settled with Sales before the installer comes out?

Thanks

cwatters,

welcome. Just enjoy it when you get it. Please post your comments about the firewire. My box has firewire and it is supposed to be active but I do not have the VHS recorder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)