New Car Antenna?

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
I had Sirius installed in my 2005 Grand Marquis, using the FORD/DELCO sirius addon to the standard built in radio (6-cd changer, am/fm1/fm2/sat).

The problem is that the antenna they give is huge, and black and looks bad.

I've seen alot of cars with toned/plastic/colored to the car antennas on the car.

Why does FORD/Mercury use this honkin' antenna? It is 2/3 the size of a dollar bill! Yes, huge!

Is there any way to change antennas? Can I splice in a new antenna, smaller, to the lines already run thru the car to the dash?

Does anyone do nice smaller colored to the car antennas?

There used to be a company that offered color match antennas but I can no longer find their web site. As far as splicing it in. I know people who have spliced antennas together that they messed up but never with a factory install. I assume it could be done but would probably be difficult.

If you can find a replacement antenna is there anything to stop you from spray painting it? Would that reduce it's effectiveness?

minorthr said:
There used to be a company that offered color match antennas but I can no longer find their web site.

They no longer offer the color match antenna. They did the color match using quality paints, and clearcoat, and the cost of buying the paints was getting too high, and instead of charging ultra high prices for the color match, they focused on just offering sirius equptment.

As for 'splicing' - Find where the antenna connects to the radio. If the plug looks the same as an antenna you can buy, which 'most' do. Just hide the wire yourself, and install the new antenna.

minorthr said:
There used to be a company that offered color match antennas but I can no longer find their web site. As far as splicing it in. I know people who have spliced antennas together that they messed up but never with a factory install. I assume it could be done but would probably be difficult.

That web site is TSS Radio, formerly the Sirius Store , but I do not know if he still does the painted antennas. Ask for Taylor, owner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts