New Channel: FXM

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Just noticed a new channel at 384, FXM for FX Movie Channel. But the channel is SD only. PLEASE, Dish, if you are going to add any channel, especially a movie channel, do so in HD. Or does an HD feed for this service exist? The content appears to be previously released movies, nothing new here.

No, this is not a new channel. It's been on the line-up for at least a decade. This is Fox Movie Channel which was rebranded by Fox as FX Movies (FxM). Interestingly enough, Fox Movie Channel made its debut as FxM over a decade ago.

Just changed location from 133 to 384 as it is in Titan TV.
133 is now IFC, which was at 131 and that is now occupied by AMC, previously at 130.
Round and round we go.

Forgot 130 is HDNetMovies which was 383.
-Ken

Last edited:
No, this is not a new channel. It's been on the line-up for at least a decade. This is Fox Movie Channel which was rebranded by Fox as FX Movies (FxM). Interestingly enough, Fox Movie Channel made its debut as FxM over a decade ago.
they merged two channels awhile back..the classic movie channel and FXM (current movies with commercials)..looks like they are dropping the classic movies

they merged two channels awhile back..the classic movie channel and FXM (current movies with commercials)..looks like they are dropping the classic movies
FxM Came out in the mid 90s. In the early 2000s it changed its name to Fox Movie Channel. On January 1 of 2012 it changed back to FxM and added commercials. I started a thread about this on December 2011.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...nnel-starting-commercial-interrupions-1-1-12?

No channels merged. No new channels created. The only difference was they added commercials and started adding more current movies. And they lost my eye-balls just like AMC, IFC, Sundance, etc when they added commercials. :)

DVR or not...with as many different options to watch movies today, why bother watching one edited and chopped up with commercials? Admittedly, sometimes when I'm channel surfing, a movie on one of those channels sucks me in briefly...but as soon as a commercial break happens, I'm gone.

Actually it is a NEW channel. While the block of programming existed for some time, it was only very recently that FX Movie became a full channel of it's own, and I haven't noticed this new SEPARATE channel until a few days ago on Dish. The following is from the Wikipedia entry:
"It was announced on March 27, 2013 that FXM would go from being a programming block on Fox Movie Channel to being a full scale network of the FX Networks family, which also includes FX and FXX"

As for HD, Wikipedia continues:
"FXM provides a high definition simulcast feed that broadcasts the channel's film content in the 720p resolution format, the company's default transmission format."

DVR or not...with as many different options to watch movies today, why bother watching one edited and chopped up with commercials? Admittedly, sometimes when I'm channel surfing, a movie on one of those channels sucks me in briefly...but as soon as a commercial break happens, I'm gone.

Only movies I watch on cable w/commercials are SYFY original movies. They have to be DVR'ed as I won't watch them live.

I hope we get FXM, FXX in HD but I'm not holding my breath since FOX is claiming DISH is violating US Copyrights and such.

Actually it is a NEW channel. While the block of programming existed for some time, it was only very recently that FX Movie became a full channel of it's own, and I haven't noticed this new SEPARATE channel until a few days ago on Dish. The following is from the Wikipedia entry:
"It was announced on March 27, 2013 that FXM would go from being a programming block on Fox Movie Channel to being a full scale network of the FX Networks family, which also includes FX and FXX"

As for HD, Wikipedia continues:
"FXM provides a high definition simulcast feed that broadcasts the channel's film content in the 720p resolution format, the company's default transmission format."

I guess it depends on your definition of "New Channel". If the Cartoon Network changes its name to the "Adult Swim" channel and drops the kid stuff, does that make it a "new channel"? Not to me and most people who recognize programming changes. Wikipedia's entry is far from "official" too.
Was SpikeTV a new channel or a name change from TNN? Was SyFy a new channel or just a STUPID name change from SciFi?

It was never a "separate" channel. People can call it that if it makes them feel better about it.

As far as I can tell FXM SD replaced Fox movies SD. No gain no loss of a channel or of HD unless you liked Fox Movies SD better than FXM SD. I do think it's fair to say it's a new channel even if some content was part time of an existing channel.

SPIKE TV was a new channel because both the name and its content, aimed at young males, was changed, from The Nashville Network, a country music video channel, and then from The Nation's Network that had a more broad appeal with repeats of past TV shows, but seemed aimed at teens. Spike TV was quite a change after Spike Lee settled his lawsuit with Viacom.

SciFi to SyFY was never promoted as a new channel, just a change in the letters that make the phonetic sound to reflect what was already the case: not all programming on that service was strictly "Science Fiction." Marketing just changed the spelling.

I guess it depends on your definition of "New Channel". If the Cartoon Network changes its name to the "Adult Swim" channel and drops the kid stuff, does that make it a "new channel"? Not to me and most people who recognize programming changes. Wikipedia's entry is far from "official" too.
Was SpikeTV a new channel or a name change from TNN? Was SyFy a new channel or just a STUPID name change from SciFi?

It was never a "separate" channel. People can call it that if it makes them feel better about it.

Well, yes. We may not like it, but if Cartoon Network were to launch Adult Swim channel having its own channel number and its own position on a program guide with the same Adult Swim content 24/7, that does count as a new channel. A good example is Destination America channel. Granted, nearly 100% of its content had aired on other Discovery Networks channel and even the few shows that now premier there, they are soon aired on other Discovery Channel, but, like or not, Discovery America is a new channel. I suppose nearly all the channels on an MVPD line-up could be considered NOT a real distinct channel becasue so many of them air content previously aired on other servcies. The Hub is a good example of this, but is or even the old "N" when it went from a block of programming on Nickelodeon to its own CHANNEL 24/7, and back then we referred to it as a new CHANNEL. After all, if we were to take the opposing logic that new channel mean new content or content having not been aired by any other channels or as blocks on other channels, all MVPD's channel count would have to be greatly reduced to maybe 20, not the hundreds.

But even more simple: when one inquires about the number of channels a service provides, is it not the common opinion that if a service has its own distinct channel number and position on the guide, that counts as a CHANNEL? Most would say YES, but with a great big BUT about common content across a media company's "channels," but still a separate CHANNEL.

So, are you saying the following Wikipedia statement is false and there was no such announcement nor action: "It was announced on March 27, 2013 that FXM would go from being a programming block on Fox Movie Channel to being a full scale network of the FX Networks family, which also includes FX and FXX."

If so, it would be great if you would edit that Wikipedia page with the correct information you have. That's how Wiki's work. Intelligent, knowledgeable folk like yourself having access to keeping things correct and up to date, reflecting the latest changes . I will re-visit that page and look forward to your elucidating us all.

Last edited:
Fox might play the old "FMC" library on their new broadcast digital channel "Movies!" - so people who liked the older films might see if it's available in their local area.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I find it hard to consider this a "new" channel. It's mostly the same content , same channel number (Fox Movie Channel had been already been moved to 384). Maybe the ratio of old to new-ish has been tweaked. Whatever marketing spin they put on it, it's just a rebranded/refocused version of the "old" Fox Movie Channel. They probably made sure it doesn't count as a "new" channel for contract purposes. I'd bet any service contractually obligated to carry and pay for "Fox Movie Channel" now has "FXM" and is still on the hook.

I cannot reiterate this enough. This channel changed its name to FXM 1/1/12...18 months ago. Dish changed the EPG name this week. That is all that happened. The programming HAS NOT CHANGED from last week to this week! It is exactly the same channel now as it was last week.
When Showtime 2 became Showtime Too, it was NOT a new channel. Just a (moronic) name change.

And to the Adult swim thing... I did not say "launch a new channel." I said they drop the kids programming and change the name of the same channel. It is not a new channel. Spike offered ZERO different programming from TNN (The National Network) when the name changed.... they just changed the name. Not a new channel. When The Nashville Network became TNN, then Then National Network, no one said, "Hey look a new channel!"

Format change ? New channel

FXM SD was unwatchable on Directv but is actually pretty decent on Dish Network. I would be surprised if it doesn't go HD in the next couple of months. I really like their old movies which have no commercials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)