New channel in Local area

NHDishOwner

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 12, 2004
New Hampshire
Hello all
I wanted to know if anyone knows who to contact at E* about why one of my local channels are not carried on E* but it is carried on D*. The channel in question is WMUR channel 9 Manchester NH. At the moment we get all the Boston stations from 110/119 and I have a second dish that gets the rest of my local station from 61.5. The stations that are on 61.5 are all NH stations except WMUR. WMUR is not on E* at all. I would think it would be smart if they were to add it to add it to 61.5 since the rest of the NH stations are on that bird. If anyone has had any experience with this, please let me know. I would like to email someone and find out why it is not included. Thanks everyone.

I had a question about one of my locals not being carried on DISH but being carried on DirecTV. I emailed ceo@dishnetwork.com (include your acct # or phone number to get a call back) and asked why it wasnt being carried. After researching the issue, I got a call back about a week later with a very detailed answer.

NHDishOwner said:
I would think it would be smart if they were to add it to add it to 61.5 since the rest of the NH stations are on that bird.

Almost all are on that satellite. One NH station is on 110.

This question has come up several times and each time I have to answer the same way.

Why doesn't Dish carry WMUR?

Because WMUR either doesn't want to be carried by Dish or WMUR wants more money for their signal than Dish is willing to pay or the station wants Dish to foot the bill for getting a good signal to their POP and Dish is not willing to cough up the money.

If WMUR wanted to be carried by Dish, all they had to do was tell Dish they demanded miust carry and provide Dish with a good quality signal. Dish, by LAW would have had to carry the station. As a matter of fact, Dish had a slot reserved for WMUR and had a test signal up (color bars) for some time after the must carry channels went up.

Why is DirecTV carrying WMUR and not Dish? First off DirecTV is a different company with the reputation of paying whatever it takes regardless of the bottom line. That's fine if you are a subsidiary of a multi-billion dollar corp. It's not okay if it's your entire business.
Second, Dish's POP is much further south than DirecTV's and the signal cannot be harvested with an antenna. Some DirecTV subs in the Boston area have also mentianed that the WMUR signal on Direct is not the best because it is obviously harversted by an antenna.

Lastly, WMUR is owned by the same people that own the ABC affiliate in Boston (WCVB-TV ABC - Boston), Hearst-Argyle. If Hearst really wanted to push the issue, they could hold the Boston ABC hostage. And if it came to an all-out war, Hearst could pull all their stations from Dish after the contract expires. It's not like it would be the first time. When Cincinnati and Greenville, SC first came on, the Hearst stations took a month or so to show up due to a contract dispute. So I would write Hearst as well and ask them why they don't want WMUR carried on Dish.
http://www.hearstcorp.com/broadcasting
These are the other Hearst stations listed on the Hearst web site:
WMOR-TV (Ind - Tampa)
WTAE-TV (ABC - Pittsburgh)
WESH-TV (NBC - Orlando)
WBAL-TV (NBC - Baltimore)
WISN-TV (ABC - Milwaukee)
WLWT-TV (NBC - Cincinnati)
KMBC-TV (Ind - New York)
KCWE-TV (UPN - Kansas City)
WYFF-TV (NBC - Greenville, SC)
WDSU-TV (NBC - New Orleans)
WPBF-TV (ABC - West Palm Beach)
KOCO-TV (ABC- Oklahoma City)
WGAL-TV (NBC - Harrisburg, PA)
WXII-TV (NBC - Greensboro, NC)
WLKY-TV (CBS - Louisville)
KOAT-TV (ABC - Albuguerque)
KCRA-TV (NBC - Sacramento)
KQCA-TV (WB - Sacramento)
KCCI-TV (CBS - Des Moines)
KITV-TV (ABC - Honolulu)
KETV-TV (ABC - Omaha)
WAPT-TV (ABC - Jackson, MS)
WMTW-TV (ABC - Portland, ME)
KSBW-TV (NBC - Monterey, CA)
WPTZ-TV/WNNE-TV (NBC - Burlington, VT) - the second station is in Hartford, VT and also not carried on Dish. 95% repeater.
KHBS-TV/KHOG-TV (ABC - Ft. Smith) Repeaters.

See ya
Tony

Both Dish and DirecTV's normal way of getting locals signals is by antenna over the air. Any other way, the station provides. Months (and in some cases years) prior to putting locals on, both send reps around to many local stations in a DMA to do a survey of how the signals of other stations are and offer a contract to the chosen site.
For instance, in this market, DirecTV is at the PBS station with feeds. The PBS, of course, has a direct feed from their plant, in the same building, to DirecTV. One station gets over a bad reception by feeding the OTA SD Digital signal to the sit via a receiver at the plant while the ohers are picked out over the air by professional antennas and receivers.
Dish is at the ABC affiliate and the ABC sends a signal from their plant to the Dish system The others are off air analogs received by Dish's receivers.

Heres another good one for you guys. 2 stations broadcasting off the same tower owned by the same company, managed by the same people. One is CBS the other is UPN. their digital numbers are 13.1 and 13.2 why the heck wont dish or direct carry the upn station. they could get a great deal from it because it comes from the same location.

ShadowEKU said:
Heres another good one for you guys. 2 stations broadcasting off the same tower owned by the same company, managed by the same people. One is CBS the other is UPN. their digital numbers are 13.1 and 13.2 why the heck wont dish or direct carry the upn station. they could get a great deal from it because it comes from the same location.

If the UPN is either low powered or digital only, it doesn't qualify for must carry

In Duluth, MN the UPN is a digital subchannel off of the NBC. The UPN doesnt qualify for must carry.

They started putting it on many of the cable tiers and you can pick it up with a UHF antenna but they arnt at full power(not Digital) I dunno.. i dont care too much because their digital channel looks amazing for it only being SD anyway.

TNGTony said:
WPTZ-TV/WNNE-TV (NBC - Burlington, VT) - the second station is in Hartford, VT and also not carried on Dish. 95% repeater.
See ya
Tony
Actually WNNE is carried by Dish on the Burlington locals.

Also they're due to start testing digital signals next month and possibly ready my end of year to pass on NBC HD broadcasts.

WaltinVt

TNGTony said:
This question has come up several times and each time I have to answer the same way.

Why doesn't Dish carry WMUR?

Because WMUR either doesn't want to be carried by Dish or WMUR wants more money for their signal than Dish is willing to pay or the station wants Dish to foot the bill for getting a good signal to their POP and Dish is not willing to cough up the money.

Actually thats not true. My inside sources tell me that WMUR cannot get an adaquate (sp) OTA signal to Dish Network's uplink in Boston.

n1wbd said:
Actually thats not true. My inside sources tell me that WMUR cannot get an adaquate (sp) OTA signal to Dish Network's uplink in Boston.

You mean that THIS PART of the response you didn't read is true, correct?
Dish's POP is much further south than DirecTV's and the signal cannot be harvested with an antenna. Some DirecTV subs in the Boston area have also mentianed that the WMUR signal on Direct is not the best because it is obviously harversted by an antenna
Once again, if WMUR really wanted to be carried on Dish, they would be. They are not providing a "good quality" signal so Dish cannot carry them without footing the bill. They are not going to do that.

waltinvt\ said:
Actually WNNE is carried by Dish on the Burlington locals.

I should have looked at my own chart before posting this. :) Correct you are!

See ya
Tony

So I guess there is a reason

Hello all
So I guess there is a reason why they are not carrying WMUR. But the strange thing is that they carry WNDS and that is a low power UHF station. WMUR is a much higher power VHF station with digital sub feeds to boot. The reason I am asking about all this is that WMUR does a much better job reporting the weather for southern NH than any of the Boston station do. WNDS does a pretty good job with the weather, but the picture is soft, it becomes very noticeable when you jump from a clean picture to a soft one. Thank you all.............

P.S. It might be easier to set up rabbit ears to pick up WMUR when the weather gets bad. It is hard to think of using them when you have a dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)