New channels coming soon?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

danielle_s

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Dodge City, Ks
I decided to use the live chat feature instead of tying up the phone lines and I asked about the new channels. This is what she had to say:
BBC America
Discovery Home
Discovery Kids
Discovery Times
The Science Channel
The Military Channel
DIY
Fine Living
Great American Country (GAC)
CNN International - Looks like CNN found a home for it's international station. Kindof a waste and a gamble since neither dish or direct picked up this station.
History International
Fox Movie Channel
WGN

When asked about the FSN networks she had no word on those stations
When asked if she had any updates on the new encoders, she said that all the problems should be fixed by the time they they get all the channels up and running.

We'll See?!

If list has already been posted, pardon me and either lock or delete this thread.

danielle_s,

When I'm abroad I often watch CNNi as it is available globally. It's good. Quite good. They do an excellent job presenting news from a global persecutive and an international staff from around the world. This service originates in the EU as opposed to CNN in Atlanta. You'll find CNNi very refreshing, enlightening as well as entertaining. It's in-pace very much with euro expectations... calmer without the loud American music and hype we see on CNN, FOX, etc.

CNN will handle the advertising for the U.S. while EU and global clients who want U.S. exposure will run there native CNNi ads.

It'll be a culturally rewarding experience.

Now if we could only get around the BBCs bloody exclusive American agreement with the DiscoveryNetworks we could have BBC24.

ITN would be another excellent source.

AND I would very much like to see EuroNews as it is a very interesting news channel out of France simultaneously broadcast in English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Dutch, Spanish and more with a single video feed!!! You simply set the audio to the language you desire and magically the audio and video are seamlessly meant for each other... Simply Brilliant!

When I read the news I read international first (3 to 7 sources: BBC-UK, Peoples Daily-Bejing, International Herald Tribune-France, AlJazeera-Middle East, etc.), U.S. (Google Feeds) and finally local.

vurbano said:
yawn......... wake me up after all of the bologna is added.

Sorry for this but please explain to me why with over 5500 posts in a year here and on AVS most of your input is is negative and unnecessary. Occassionally you do have something to add to a discussion but it is rare on either forum. :confused:

dlm10541 said:
Sorry for this but please explain to me why with over 5500 posts in a year here and on AVS most of your input is is negative and unnecessary. Occassionally you do have something to add to a discussion but it is rare on either forum. :confused:

1st. Voom doesnt have the bandwidth for this crap. PQ is deteriorating. And its going to get worse when this garbage is added.

2nd. It makes it even more ludicrous since after 3/31 as far as we know Voom will not be broadcasting.

3rd. I have no interest in SD. If I wanted decreased PQ and lots of SD I would sub to D*

From a newbie point of view these extra channels will be a godsend.. My deal with D* ends on 3/11/05 and I switched to Voom 3 weeks ago. My wife was absolutley livid that she lost all of her favorite channels. Now with them being added to Voom, I can see a bunch of people subscribing now. I can wait for the FSN channels. At least my home life will be much easier to handle! hehe..

bradley said:
danielle_s,

When I'm abroad I often watch CNNi as it is available globally. It's good. Quite good. They do an excellent job presenting news from a global persecutive and an international staff from around the world. This service originates in the EU as opposed to CNN in Atlanta. You'll find CNNi very refreshing, enlightening as well as entertaining. It's in-pace very much with euro expectations... calmer without the loud American music and hype we see on CNN, FOX, etc.

CNN will handle the advertising for the U.S. while EU and global clients who want U.S. exposure will run there native CNNi ads.

It'll be a culturally rewarding experience.

Now if we could only get around the BBCs bloody exclusive American agreement with the DiscoveryNetworks we could have BBC24.

ITN would be another excellent source.

AND I would very much like to see EuroNews as it is a very interesting news channel out of France simultaneously broadcast in English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Dutch, Spanish and more with a single video feed!!! You simply set the audio to the language you desire and magically the audio and video are seamlessly meant for each other... Simply Brilliant!

When I read the news I read international first (3 to 7 sources: BBC-UK, Peoples Daily-Bejing, International Herald Tribune-France, AlJazeera-Middle East, etc.), U.S. (Google Feeds) and finally local.
Maybe Voom is not left Wing???

Most of us want more HD and could care less about SD programming. I'm ecstatic thqat some of your wives will be happy now but isnt it all really about HD ?

It's nice to see that Voom is adding these channels to be more competitive, BUT I totally agree with vurb on this. He wasn't being negative. He is just voicing that these SD channels are not adding to the HD niche that VOOM is based upon. If Voom was adding the HD feeds (if there were any) of these new channels, then I am sure that he would say that. If this was the case, the new additions would be a LOT more exciting.

I am waiting to see if we get any new HD channels. (ESPN2HD, INHDs, HDNETs.....something).

rasecane1 said:
Most of us want more HD and could care less about SD programming. I'm ecstatic thqat some of your wives will be happy now but isnt it all really about HD ?
A very good post was put up by regarding this issue, there are only 3 0r 5 channels Voom does not carry, " can't make a pie without the dough"

kelljc said:
A very good post was put up by regarding this issue, there are only 3 0r 5 channels Voom does not carry, " can't make a pie without the dough"

I suggest you count again. I count 9, 10 if you want PPVHD. It looks as if D* will add Espn2hd when its ready. Voom needs to at least commit to that.

HDTVChannels.gif

This is my opinion. The only way for Voom to compete with cable, Dish and Directv as a standalone service is to offer the majority of the channels that those services offer. If Voom is missing even 1 or 2 popular SD channels, it will prevent a certain number of potential subscribers from getting Voom installed since most people do not want or will not pay for 2 providers.

Here is my plan for the financial success of Voom:
1) Continue to expand SD channel line-up until 99% of people can say that all of the SD channels that they watch are offered by Voom.
2) Get a functional DVR out quickly with a reasonable lease option.
3) Begin and complete the service calls necessary in order for us to see Rainbow-2 (this will have to be done regardless of what happens with Rainbow-1). Also install the MPEG-4 card at this time.
4) Offer HD or at least SD pay per view. I am assuming that this is a money making service for providers.
5) Offer TYORK a job as quality control manager for all Voom installs:) The installation problems must be decreased.
6) Add all HD channels that are available to them.
7) Change marketing strategy to get the message out that Voom offers everything that Direct/Dish/cable offers + 3X more HD channels. Current marketing strategy has limited appeal to casual viewers.

I hope we have WGN in time for baseball season. Then of course keep it past 3/31 if you know what I mean.

Lucky said:
I hope we have WGN in time for baseball season. Then of course keep it past 3/31 if you know what I mean.
I'm sure the everyone cares about the " Cub's ", I lived in Chicago for 20 year's on Irvinpark Rd. 4 Blocks from the Cub's, never went to a game>

Two posts deleted. There are customers who will welcome these channels for various reasons. Those that are not interested in these channels and want to complaint, please create another thread with your dissastifaction, but don't spoil this thread with your dissastifaction. Thank you all.

Alto101 said:
This is my opinion. The only way for Voom to compete with cable, Dish and Directv as a standalone service is to offer the majority of the channels that those services offer. If Voom is missing even 1 or 2 popular SD channels, it will prevent a certain number of potential subscribers from getting Voom installed since most people do not want or will not pay for 2 providers.

Here is my plan for the financial success of Voom:
1) Continue to expand SD channel line-up until 99% of people can say that all of the SD channels that they watch are offered by Voom.
2) Get a functional DVR out quickly with a reasonable lease option.
3) Begin and complete the service calls necessary in order for us to see Rainbow-2 (this will have to be done regardless of what happens with Rainbow-1). Also install the MPEG-4 card at this time.
4) Offer HD or at least SD pay per view. I am assuming that this is a money making service for providers.
5) Offer TYORK a job as quality control manager for all Voom installs:) The installation problems must be decreased.
6) Add all HD channels that are available to them.
7) Change marketing strategy to get the message out that Voom offers everything that Direct/Dish/cable offers + 3X more HD channels. Current marketing strategy has limited appeal to casual viewers.

And add twin to direct tv's NFL SUNDAY TICKET. :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts