New Channels in October

Status
Please reply by conversation.
MPEG4 isn't reliant on the satellite, just the STB. They could just as easily send MPEG4 over the existing satellites once the boxes are ready. MPEG4 is just a more efficient way of encoding a digital signal. Once the boxes are ready to go out they can start broadcasting wherever they want. The new birds just make it easier on the customers. If they put a markets LIL onto the new bird using MPEG4 encoding the customers with the old boxes will still receive their locals like normal. When customers are converted to the new boxes they'll aim at the new birds. This is going to be a mammoth project for D*.

I assume D* will begin converting non-HD customers after all the HD people are swapped out. That would mean every time they convert a DMA that spot beam would be freed up for more content!

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
The entire Detroit DMA will enjoy being the first folks to be upgraded to DIRECTV's new MPEG-2/4 equipment, which will enable them to see their network locals in HD through their DIRECTV dish.

If all goes well 11 more DMA's will be upgraded in November and 12 more by year end.

Of course, my company will be providing the new MPEG-2/4 systems to new subscribers as they sign on to DIRECTV service.

This new service will permit DIRECTV to roll-out their promised 150 new national and 1250 LIL HD channels over the next two years.

-Robert

So it's October now and beginning of a week. Has MPEG4 started in Detroit yet?

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
It will not be a TiVo DVR as we already know and is scheduled for release sometime in Q1-06.

The first round of upgrades will be for the dish system and to replace all existing MPEG-2 HD STB's. HD DVR customers don't have to worry about the delayed release of the new MPEG-2/4 HD DVR as DIRECTV will not interrupt the HD MPEG-2 stream for at least two years.

All is OK and just be a little more patient as the best is yet to come.

-Robert

It sounds like there will not be any new channels added before the new MPEG 4 HDDVRs are available. Which means waiting until Q1 of 2006 to swap out my HD Tivo for an HD DVR should be no big deal. I am wondering if they do however start to add a bunch of HD channels on MPEG 4 if I can have D* switch out my two regular HD boxes and then switch out my HD Tivo at a later date once the new MPEG 4 DVRs are ready?

Is the 1st MPEG 4 channels going to be the major 4 networks only? I thought we might see WB, UPN & PBS added right away with MPEG 4.

Lastly any info yet on D* honoring Tivo Lifetime subscribers on the new non-Tivo based equipment?

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Yes, NY is the largest DMA and we should see existing DIRECTV HD customers begin to be upgraded by mid November. DIRECTV will offer the next generation HD DVR at no charge to customers who agree to a new 2 yr. programming commitment. It will not be a TiVo DVR as we already know and is scheduled for release sometime in Q1-06.

The first round of upgrades will be for the dish system and to replace all existing MPEG-2 HD STB's. HD DVR customers don't have to worry about the delayed release of the new MPEG-2/4 HD DVR as DIRECTV will not interrupt the HD MPEG-2 stream for at least two years.

All is OK and just be a little more patient as the best is yet to come.

-Robert

That's a sweet deal if its true. If it is true, will Directv offer the HD DVR to those of us that have just a regular HD recevier?

DIRECTV will not provide HD DVR's for HD customers with HD STB's. You will get MPEG-2/4 HD STB for every HD STB and a HD DVR for every HD DVR you have active on your account.

The Detroit DMA will begin the upgrade process by end of October for existing customers. New subscribers will get the H20 and Plus 5 LNB dish beginning October 18, 2005.

-Robert

Robert, I am in the Detroit market...how do I ensure I get in on this at the ground level? Everytime I call DirecTV CSR, they don't know what I am talking about or are not familiar with MPEG-4! Would love to be one of the first to get/test/try MPEG-4 HD set top boxes! Will DirecTV call when the new STB will beavailable? Will there be an HD swap out or trade-in?

Robert, Do you have any specs on the new dish? Size? Outputs? - Someone on AVS is quoting you as saying there will be 5 cable runs from the outside and a 2" diameter mast.. Havent been able to find a post where you have said that yet

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
DIRECTV will not provide HD DVR's for HD customers with HD STB's. You will get MPEG-2/4 HD STB for every HD STB and a HD DVR for every HD DVR you have active on your account.

The Detroit DMA will begin the upgrade process by end of October for existing customers. New subscribers will get the H20 and Plus 5 LNB dish beginning October 18, 2005.

-Robert

Yes, it's true that the new Plus 5 LNB dish will have 5 coax outputs and a 2" OD mast.

If you need more than 5 outputs a new KA/KU 6x8 switch will be required.

DIRECTV will be taking care of all existing DIRECTV HD customers and swapping the HD STB's and antenna system for a cost of $49.99 installed.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Yes, it's true that the new Plus 5 LNB dish will have 5 coax outputs and a 2" OD mast.

5 cables? I thought all the buzz up to this point said 4 cable's.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:

If you need more than 5 outputs a new KA/KU 6x8 switch will be required.

DIRECTV will be taking care of all existing DIRECTV HD customers and swapping the HD STB's and antenna system for a cost of $49.99 installed.

-Robert

Wow if it's 5 cables that will be perfect for me and I had the installer already run the 5th line when he came and installed my HD Tivo.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
You are correct, I was told that the original design had 4 coax outputs. This is the latest information I have.

-Robert

Robert, well that stinks, my dish is pole mounted in the back yard and running another cable unground will be a pain. Will D* run it and bury it or expect me to do it???

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
-Robert

Robert, do you know if they are going to offer any kind of an upgrade deal to existing HD subscribers to upgrade to a HD DVR?

DTV TiVo Dealer said:

-Robert

Hi Robert (sent you an e-mail as well). I just had an installer from Michigan Microtech (the local Detroit D* installers) over to move/re-aim my dish. He said they have heard nothing about the new MPEG-4 dishes or any timing yet.

Have they pushed back the date that you know of?

Status
Please reply by conversation.