New Channels Needed

kfried001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Would the FCC see VOOM a more viable 3rd sat provider if they offered more channels than they do now. In doing so, could it block the sale of R-1 if they feel VOOM is a better alternative with MORE programing. Just a thought and if so VOOM should add the following ASAP.

1) RSN's ( HD or SD)
2) Encore TRUE
3) Cinemax 5 Starmax
4) Cinemax OuterMax
5) Trio
6) History International
7) Hdnet
8) Hd Movies
9) Inhd1
10) Inhd2
11) The Outdoor Channel 1
12) The Outdoor Channel 2 HD
13) OLN HD
14) ESPN2 HD
15) Nick West
16) Disney West
17) Fine Living
--Spuer Station Package Like E* for $5.00 month
18) TBS
19) WSBK
20) WWOR
21) KTLA
22) WPIX
23) WGN

24) Exxxstacy - E* Charges something like $30.00 month and is making a killing according to a friend of mine.
25) Encore WAM
26) MTV Hits
27) VH1 Mega Hits
28) Starz Theater
29) Starz Edge
30) Starz Kidsand Family
31) Starz Cinema
32) Starz Comdey
33) Wealth TV
34) Sundance
35) NBA

No Capacity, then ditch Divine, HDnews, LAB, Ultra, Auction. If this would save the sale of R-1 which if we need to expand, then I would tak a hit on SD pic quality for a while, as long as HD was kept good. Also we are gaining Encore HD so that is 6 HD channels, if we ditch Gallery. Maybe we can get creative and combine a fre cinema's as well although I do like the breakout. But maybe Gunslingers and GuyTV or GuyTV and VICE or some other creative combination.

This would make VOOM look really viable.

Also since they announced all the new channels in March and everything is still status quo, why don't they add them. Nothing has really changed except for infighting.

Just a late night thought.

kfried001 said:
Ditch Divine, HDnews, LAB, Ultra, Auction. But maybe Gunslingers and GuyTV or GuyTV and VICE or some other creative combination.

kfried001, I have agreed with some of your posts before, but since when are you the 'gold' standard for programming and Voom being viable? Let's not ditch anything. That you want to combine or ditch those, is pure personal preference and has nothing to do with Voom being viable or not. Those channels are being watched. Most cable systems have as much SD as Voom currently has, and are pretty viable.
E* and D* have much less HD and are pretty viable. You could have shortened your post and just said, Voom add everything that is available for distribution and you'll be viable. Sorry for the rand, but reading to take channels away, is obvious only personal preference and can't be taken seriously.

They already offer many of those channels that you listed.

I tend to agree with you that they can suceed by adding SD and HD channels that the others don't have.

kfried:
You have a long list. I would trim you list down to:

RSN's (HD & SD)
HDNet
ESPN2 HD
inHD
Outdoor Channel 2 HD (to be launched in June 2005)

I am not trying to be the gold standard of anything. I was just thinking that there are channels that everyone is used to seeing on cable, D* and E* and by proding them noone would have an excuse not to switch. All I rreally care about is:

1) RSNs
2) HDnet
3) Inhd 1 & 2
4) Outdoor Channel.

If there are peole that like LAB, and Auction etc... that is fine, my point was MAYBE there is a creative way of combining some channels to free up space IF and only IF there were a capacity issue which precented the above HD's and RSN's from being added. What do you think is more important for subscriber growth, LAB, Auction and Divine or RSN's, Inhd1 & 2 and Hdnet? So I am not trying to be the gold standard of programming, but I VOOM needs to ramp up subs quick and I think the popular channels are the way to go. Just my opinion and not trying to impose my opinions on anyone. I just think it makes good business sense IF there is a capacity issue. I apologize if I offended you by saying ditch some of the channels you like.

I don't understand what people's problem is with Divine? I used to watch Here tv on dish and they just added a monthly option for people with direct. So it should show that people are actually watching gay & lesbian programming.

As for lab I can't wait to see it. But from what I understand it'll just be my background noise most of the time. who knows? we'll see

Walter L. said:
kfried:
You have a long list. I would trim you list down to:

RSN's (HD & SD)
HDNet
ESPN2 HD
inHD
Outdoor Channel 2 HD (to be launched in June 2005)
I know, I did go overboard. It was late at night. The one's I really care about are the exact ones you mentioned and that's it. Add OLNHD and I am there! VOOM is smokin'

danielle_s said:
I don't understand what people's problem is with Divine?..............people are actually watching gay & lesbian programming.
I think you answered your own question.

danielle_s said:
As for lab I can't wait to see it. But from what I understand it'll just be my background noise most of the time. who knows? we'll see
I like Moov (just can't get used to calling it LAB!). But what do I know -- I also watch movies on Divine. I do however, refuse to watch anything on Kung-Fu for fear that I'll turn into a Kung Fu fighter. :D

As far as new channels go, I'm with the RSN's and anything with "HD" in its name.

MarcelV said:
kfried001, I have agreed with some of your posts before, but since when are you the 'gold' standard for programming and Voom being viable? Let's not ditch anything. That you want to combine or ditch those, is pure personal preference and has nothing to do with Voom being viable or not. Those channels are being watched. Most cable systems have as much SD as Voom currently has, and are pretty viable.
E* and D* have much less HD and are pretty viable. You could have shortened your post and just said, Voom add everything that is available for distribution and you'll be viable. Sorry for the rand, but reading to take channels away, is obvious only personal preference and can't be taken seriously.
This was a question. The first line of my statement asked if the FCC would see VOOM as a more viable 3rd provider not if I thought they would. I am not trying to be any kind of programmer for VOOM. My statement was purely aimed at the question of whether of not the FCC would see VOOM as a provider of mainstream programming like cable, D* an E* providing the same programing plus much much more. If so, would that block the sale of R-1. That is all it was meant to be, nothing more and to list the channels that the others provide and not VOOM. But as of today, that list got even shorter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts