New Channels???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerryVolunteer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Memphis, TN
First off, I'm sorry if I am starting rumors but I thought I would spilll what I was told.

I had a problem with a receiver and was speaking to retention and he seemed very knowledgable. He voluntarily told me that we should expect two see a couple national HD chnnels added within the next couple months. He said one of those could be turned on sooner rather than later due to the competition. He also said that this was in addition to the NFL channel that should start up around the regular season kickoff. So if hes right then 3 channels are coming, if he's not then I jsut spread a rumor....but thougth some would like to know.

Hey Jerry, where in Memphis? Live there now, from there or both? I lived in Germantown a number of years through HS and while working for Nike until a 1997 transfer to Phoenix.

Did they drop any hints on names of channels; premium of regular? God I am hoping for something other than the HD versions of NGC, HGTV or FoodTV. I would rather have the SD versions of HBO Comedy and the rest of the Cinemax multi-plex or Starz-HD over those.

I live close to Germantown Mall. He didnt say on channels but I think Dish is suppose to launch some soon so Im sure it will be similar to theirs and I dont care if it is "HD lite" it still better then nothing and alot better then the cable here.

The Old G-town Village Square Mall between Poplar Ave Germantown Rd and Farmington Rd (or is there a new one now)?. I used to hang out there during my freshman year back in the day.

Oh the Wolfchase Galleria in NE Memphis in the old Cordova area. I went to that when I visited my old boss, back when it opened; I thought you meant Germantown had a new mall. Its too bad those residents don't have enough to stave off eventual total annexation. It has started out being a nice area. One buddy is a Detective at MPD and he just moved out of that general area; zip 38133 I think.

Last edited:
I would expect one of the channels to be MHD (MTV's HD channel). I say that just because MHD's website states that D* should be showing the channel soon.

mbetts said:
I would expect one of the channels to be MHD (MTV's HD channel). I say that just because MHD's website states that D* should be showing the channel soon.

Check the date. I think it used to say many years in future.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, maybe D* will have sufficient bandwidth in 2098. Or, not. :p

JerryVolunteer said:
First off, I'm sorry if I am starting rumors but I thought I would spilll what I was told.

I had a problem with a receiver and was speaking to retention and he seemed very knowledgable. He voluntarily told me that we should expect two see a couple national HD chnnels added within the next couple months. He said one of those could be turned on sooner rather than later due to the competition. He also said that this was in addition to the NFL channel that should start up around the regular season kickoff. So if hes right then 3 channels are coming, if he's not then I jsut spread a rumor....but thougth some would like to know.

retention allways "sound knoledgeable" rember you dealing with a department that soul purpose is to prevent churn, (turnover) and keep you paying directv.

not to say that sometimes they are right, but you just gotta rember the source.

its like asking a oil company when those new hydrogen cars are going to come out and will they have stations selling it.

DBSOgre said:
It used to be just InHD 1 & 2 for me, but I want those and National Geographic HD now. I noticed that Fios doesn't have InHD either. Surprising.
Since InHd 1 and 2 are own by cable companies it isn't that surprising. The pricing structure the cable companies are using for InHD is what is keeping it off satellite and Fios.

What kind of market research does D* perform to come up with the channels that they add??

If this MTV channel is the next HD channel added...that is just ridiculous.

JerryVolunteer said:
I live close to Germantown Mall. He didnt say on channels but I think Dish is suppose to launch some soon so Im sure it will be similar to theirs and I dont care if it is "HD lite" it still better then nothing and alot better then the cable here.

So you're saying that DTV might be trying to catch up and carry HD programming that has been on or is coming soon to Dish?!

I'm still upset I never got to watch Spice HD before it went limp. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't surprise me if MHD (MTV-HD) was the next channel. Especially, since they'd be able to say that Dish doesn't have it, even if the channel stinks.

rkr0923 said:
A&E HD just launced 24-hour network
so now were missing that and HGTV-HD

Where did you get this info from? I checked A&E's website and could not find anything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts