New Channels

Rexorg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
North Central Indiana
Sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone ever asked E* if they could provide information about new channels and/or dropped channels, etc. on say Channel 100, or 101? This seems like a no brainer. For the 99.999% of E* customers who do not subscribe to forums like this have no idea when things change at E* unless they come across them in the EPG.

They use to have Dish News Network on Channel 100 which did just that. I hate to say it but it was one of my most favorite channels on Dish Network, and I actually miss it.

I think a good idea would be to upload a short clip of info to the receiver, just like they did awhile back for the shameless promotion of the pocketdish. As long as they didn't abuse it and only send important info, this would be a great way to communicate.
My old Dishplayer had a blinking info light on the front when a message was uploaded. That system worked quite well...

I realize we like to second guess E*'s management and decision making on an alomst daily basis(sometimes even hourly :D ), but in this case, I have to believe that if it made sense to E* to spend the time/money on such a channel, then there would be one.
Perhaps marketing is the reason why such info does not appear on an existing/dedicated info channel. Maybe they like to target specific subs, for specific reasons with new introductions.

I truly believe that the subject has been/is discussed by E* management, but for whatever reason it is not currently deployed. Part of the reason may lie in the 'Charlie Chats' and/or 'Tech Chats', new channel introductions are routinely discussed in these chats. Perhaps they are trying to guide you to these chats for such information, because as we all know, these are also a form of direct marketing for E* in regards to programming and hardware upgrades.
A channel showing just new channel additions, might just keep a few subs from tuning into these 'upsell' chats.

Rexorg said:
Sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone ever asked E* if they could provide information about new channels and/or dropped channels, etc. on say Channel 100, or 101? This seems like a no brainer. For the 99.999% of E* customers who do not subscribe to forums like this have no idea when things change at E* unless they come across them in the EPG.

I agree that before I joined this group, I rarely knew what changes were happening with new channels, particularly when I only had SD channels. I tended to just use the favorites menus I created, and would not know there was something new unless I happened to scan through all-subs. Today however, its less of an issue since I primarily use All-HD which makes it easier.

But there is no doubt in my mind that because I spend time on Satelliteguys every day I know a helluva lot more than I ever used to....

Comcast here does this with the e message feature on their digital STB's, it is one of the features I do like. E* has had e message capabilities in their box's from the beginning, but in all the years I had E*, they never used it. :(

I don't remember where it was -- probably Usenet -- but I once read that someone asked Dish why they didn't use the message feature, and was told that they didn't want the call center flooded with people asking why there was a light flashing on their box. Unfortunately, I can believe that there are users that stupid. As far as I know it was in the manual, but you know how many people never read anything.

rockymtnhigh said:
I agree that before I joined this group, I rarely knew what changes were happening with new channels, particularly when I only had SD channels. I tended to just use the favorites menus I created, and would not know there was something new unless I happened to scan through all-subs.

I know what you mean. If I hadn't have read about it here, I wouldn't have even known that OLN went away, that Lifetime went away, that both came back, and they added Oxygen. As none of these were/are in my favorites lists, these changes were invisible to me.

Same for the DOC channel, which I'm glad I found out about.

I can't believe it would be difficult or expensive to have a ticker running at the bottom of the Dish info channel with such 'news' while we are watching the little guy teaching us how to read our bill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)