New Construction - Which way to go?

Gunfighter

Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Hello all! We've recently moved into a newly constructed home. Though we didn't ask for it, our builder ran RG-6 wire throughout the house (we thought we would only have drops on the 1st floor).

My question is this: What challenges am I going to be faced with in a satellite installation using the pre-run wiring? I'm a current Dish subscriber (have been for 5+ years) and was about to call them to install a dish for me, but I'm concerned that they're going to just drill through walls and make their own drops.

Ultimately, I'd like to have four receivers (only have two now) as well as HD content (down the road). Can Dish Network utilize my current wiring or will I need to abandon them for DirectTV or cable?

Thanks!

RG-6 is what E* and D* both use so you're OK there. The question I'd have is do you need more the one run to any of the rooms or can you get away with only one run? If you need extra work done that's not part of the standard install I believe the installer will do what you want just that you might have to pay extra to have things done the way you want.

rad - thanks for the post.

As for runs, my current setup shouldn't require more than one run, but it's OLD E* equipment. My main receiver is a 5000 series and the secondary is a 3000 series. An upgrade is definitely forthcoming!

Will upgrading to a HD, DVR, or Dual Tuner receiver require an additional run? Adding an additional run shouldn't be too hard upstairs, but forget downstairs, especially the living room. In the end, I want to be able to watch different programming on each set, whether it's my current two receiver setup or a three to four receiver setup in the future.

I'd really like to utilize as much of my current cable distribution as possible with any switches, etc. placed near the entry point of the cable to the house.

Although it is RG6 you have to ask or make sure that have NOT installed any cable frequency (i think 5-1000MHz) splitters or filters in the line, satellite operates on a different frequency (i think 950-2400MHz) and those cable items WILL kill the signal. These items will usually be in the attic, basement or eveb behind the 1st outlet they installed to make their run shorter to save money.

Thanks charper1.

I do believe that there is one splitter, which is located in the basement. Unless they added something before closing up the drywall, I don't recall any other splitters added anywhere else in the runs to each room.

I'm assuming that the splitter can be replaced with whatever the installer needs to do the distribution.

I appreciate all of the help with the basic questions. I did my own install way back when I first got E*, but things have really changed since then regarding hardware. All these new fangled gadgets have steepened the learning curve a bit for me.

- Frank

So, to follow your line of thought... If I wanted to give myself the most flexibility given my current distribution, I might be best off looking at a DPP44 switch? From my understanding of the product, I could then use a single run with a dual tuner receiver. Is there any other device that would allow single runs and dual tuners?

To go a step further, if I ended up with a 942 at some point, I could use that to control the living room and den, then use my legacy receivers in the kids' rooms upstairs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts