New Cust. Self Install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

keozu

Original poster
May 10, 2005
hey everyone, long time browser of the forums, new poster.

im interested signing up with Direct, but installing myself. purchasing a triple LNB dish off ebay, evidentley the switch is built in the dish? (me understanding i run directly to the recievers without buying a switch or somthing). so if was to get 2 seperate recievers off ebay, mabe one HD and one standard or just DVR capable. after getting all this setup will DIRECT give me problems activating them? any advice or pointing out problems i might run into would be greatly apreciated!

ALL QUESTIONS TOGETHER

1. overall is the dish hard to sync with all 3 satelites?
2. how would I ground the system?
3. i already have an old Direct reciever from when we had them about 3-5
years ago, its an RCA cant remeber the model number but it does say "direct tv plus" on the front. can i use my old access card, or will i have to get new ones for all my recievers?

4. i have DISH at our other house so im assuming bringing my 2nd reciever from
there and just getting a another dish 500 would be breaking the
TOS so i dont wanna go that route.

5. after this mepg4 upgrade, will i have to buy new recievers or will direct
jsut exchange them for similar models?

reason i need to install myself: my life is going very crazy at the moment and having to be out of town alot etc. im afraid to schedule a pro. installation.

so i like i said, im leaning to signing up with DIRECT couse of the built in Switch in the dish as i hope i understand it, but if DISH is more leaniant on cust.'s who do self installation il go with them. thanks.

a triple sat dish like you describe will hold 4 recievers, or 2 regular recievers and a tivo, or two tivos without an external switch. the switch that you would use on this type of dish is not your regular multi switch either.But if you call direct they will install you for free with up to 3 recievers is the deal they are running right now. hope this helps ya!

you will have to get new cards @ 25.00 a pop and sign a 1 year contract but you can schedule an install and have a friend or family member there to let the installer in you may have to call yourself to activate if your not there at the time of installation.so going e-bay will cost ya quite a bit to get what you can get for free

wow 1 year contract when you provide your own stuff? thats ummm kinda sad...... does dish do the same? i know some wireless carriers will do thins, think you may rack up a huge bill and not pay it (go over mins, etc.) so why must direct do this? if there afraid your gonna order tons of PPV or somthing then they could just block that feature. regardless, it makes absolutley no sence.

keozu said:
1. overall is the dish hard to sync with all 3 satelites?
2. how would I ground the system?
3. i already have an old Direct reciever from when we had them about 3-5
years ago, its an RCA cant remeber the model number but it does say "direct tv plus" on the front. can i use my old access card, or will i have to get new ones for all my recievers?
5. after this mepg4 upgrade, will i have to buy new recievers or will direct
jsut exchange them for similar models?
1. As long as you have no line-of-sight issues, aligning the dish is not that hard. The new D10 receivers are only $50. Since the new receiver would include the access card, you would only spend $25 more for a new receiver (which would read all 3 satellites) than on the old receiver. I think it's worth that just for the faster speeds using the online guides!
2. I used aluminum wire to ground the dish and the grounding block. Bought the wire and a grounding stake at Radio Shack.
3. The model number and serial number should be on the back of the receiver. You might be able to display these using the setup menus. The access card will need to be replaced.
5. There has not been an official announcement by D* as to how they will upgrade the non-mpeg4 receivers. Most people seem to think they will swap out the old receivers for free (or a minimal charge). :)

I would just get another Dish 500 and take your reciever to the second house when you go. I'm assuming the second house is somewhat of a vacation home or cabin??

"phatnuts" If your Dish installs are outnumbering your Directv installs, I would think it is becuase of VOOM being added to Dish.

To ground the dish, make sure at least one cable from the dish has a messenger wire, run all (up to four) cables to a ground block and attach the messenger wire. On the other side of the ground block, attach the runs to your receivers. Ground the block with #10 solid-copper green ground wire. The ground wire should be bonded to your home's ground system, not a ground rod.
This is a general description of what the code requirements are. A lot of hack techs do not ground at all. The reason for the messenger wire is the coax does not carry 100 percent of the ground.

VOOMER said:
The messener wire is not a ground ! As most seem to believe.
Messenger (copper coated steel 17awg.) is for static discharge..
Did not know that. So is the ground carried by the braid? Why are Dish Network installs done w/o a messenger wire?
Learn something everyday...

Yes the messenger wire is for static discharge, TO GROUND. So it does ground the dish. I do not know what that last statement about coax not carrying 100% of ground is about.

deezoneezo said:
Yes the messenger wire is for static discharge, TO GROUND. So it does ground the dish. I do not know what that last statement about coax not carrying 100% of ground is about.

the messenger is a ground of sorts, yes, it does ground the dish, but it is NOT a legal ground if you are going by electrical codes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)