New customer, having problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

billunc

Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Stedman, North Carolina
Hey all,
Just found this board after researching about my new install for DirecTV. Pretty much a noob to all of this and was looking for some help, looked through the first few pages of threads and couldn't find anything like this:

Have the HD-Dvr and it is a HR23. Problem I'm having is the HD picture keeps "freezing" up. Sometimes it will just freeze for a split second, other times the little box will actually come up and say searching for satellite signal. It does this all the time on any broadcast in HD! Have an additional standard receiver and the picture hasn't had any problems yet. Installer said all of my signal strengths looked good. Does anyone have any ideas or experienced this? I have a 60 day guarantee so I'm thinking of having the installer come back out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit to add it happens very frequently when I change it to a new channel...almost like it has to make contact for that channel or something.

Try several different channels, both SD and HD, and see if the problem appears on all of them or just one or two. There's a list (I think in the technical discussions sub-forum) that translates channel numbers into transponder numbers... you can use that information to check signal strengths on specific transponders. If you're not sure what I mean, post back and we can help.

I looked at all the channels that I mainly watch, espnhd, espn2hd, nflhd, local fox in hd....all the strengths are in the 90s on the particular transponder that matches up with those channels. Could it be a problem with a receiver causing the picture to freeze? Everytime I turn to a new channel it is very slow to load then when it finally does come on it will freeze every so often for a split second.

yep, reset the box 3 times now. I guess I will just call the installer and have him come out and take a look. Like clockwork though, if I change to a new HD channel it takes a second to load, then gives a finding satellite signal for a split sec, then it will come on. then it will proceed to freeze up every once in a while, almost like if the weather is bad, but it's been clear here all week?

Well, installer came back out and said everything is fine. Said my signal strengths are strong and doesn't know why I'm having this freezing problem, all cables are connected securely. Does seem to occur more frequently when watching a game live on ESPNHD, installer said it's probably just their broadcast that is having problems. Anybody else noticed any freezing problems or frames skipping when watching a game on ESPNHD? I would think that this isn't a common issue seeing as I can't find hardly any threads on that matter.

well native mode was already off and it was set to 720p. i tried turning native mode on, still the same picture freezing/skipping frames problem when watching a game on ESPN hd. Seems almost like the DVR can't keep up with the fast moving broadcast.

Last edited:
If you can look at the dish and see if there appears to be a splice real close to the dish. For some reason the new LNB's (white filter on front of the dish) has a pre-made "pigtail" which is junk. If it does ask the tech to install a new pigtail at the dish.

Also

Did he 100% install new cable lines or use existing? If existing is any of it RG59 or real old RG6? Did he update the connectors and any barrell splices that were there to begin with? If he used existing cable there may be a problem with it, that your previous provider wasnt affected by.

Well, installer came back out and said everything is fine. Said my signal strengths are strong and doesn't know why I'm having this freezing problem, all cables are connected securely. Does seem to occur more frequently when watching a game live on ESPNHD, installer said it's probably just their broadcast that is having problems. Anybody else noticed any freezing problems or frames skipping when watching a game on ESPNHD? I would think that this isn't a common issue seeing as I can't find hardly any threads on that matter.

No issues here with any ESPN feeds, on any receiver.

You comment "if I change to a new HD channel it takes a second to load, then gives a finding satellite signal for a split sec, then it will come on" makes it sounds as if you system is NOT setup correctly; as in the questions Zynergi is asking above. YOu say the installer says the strengths are good; but what are the exact numbers? BUT all said you could have something defective.

If you can look at the dish and see if there appears to be a splice real close to the dish. For some reason the new LNB's (white filter on front of the dish) has a pre-made "pigtail" which is junk. If it does ask the tech to install a new pigtail at the dish.

Also

Did he 100% install new cable lines or use existing? If existing is any of it RG59 or real old RG6? Did he update the connectors and any barrell splices that were there to begin with? If he used existing cable there may be a problem with it, that your previous provider wasnt affected by.

Ok, I can check the dish outside tomorrow when I can see and look for that splice. But I can check the cables tonight. Originally, the installer reused the cables left from the cable company. I have looked at one of these cables which is leaving the jack and going to the SWM....it doesn't say whether it is RG59 or RG6, and that cable was put in by time warner a couple years ago. Now the cable leaving the SWM going to the DVR is RG6. When the installer came out the 2nd time he changed out the connector at the jack, said he thought that could be the problem since the original installer didn't do that. But obviously the problem still persists.

No issues here with any ESPN feeds, on any receiver.

You comment "if I change to a new HD channel it takes a second to load, then gives a finding satellite signal for a split sec, then it will come on" makes it sounds as if you system is NOT setup correctly; as in the questions Zynergi is asking above. YOu say the installer says the strengths are good; but what are the exact numbers? BUT all said you could have something defective.

Ok ran my signal strengths and this is what comes up:

98 98 96 99 96 100 97 99
96 98 98 96 97 100 97 100
96 0 98 96 97 100 97 100
97 0 98 95 97 100 96 100

99(c)

93 96 91 96 91 95 91 95
91 95 91 95 95 96 Rest is all N/A

99(s)

0 0 0 0 0 20 n/a n/a
n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a 88 95
86 82 96 96 96 97 95 95
rest n/a

103(s)
96 86 95 92 0 99 na na
na na na na na 0 0
24 0 49 0 97 0 0 0 rest na

103(c)

96 97 94 95 95 95 93 95
95 95 94 96 95 97 rest na

SWM

100 100 100 97 97 97 97
97 rest na

SWM experts, should all 9 channels on the SWM signals have readings (don't see where OP says whatelse they have conncted).

I wonder why then all 9 channels on the SWM readings have something? On my SWM readings there's a number of channels that show zero and they have two HD DVR's and a non DVR connected to it. What I don't know is if the reading should be zero of a value, I've seen two different answers to that question, if the channel is busy does it have a zero or non-zero reading?

My HR23 does this too, I just thought it was standard. Sometimes it does this, but just for a second or two. Not a big deal for me though, I think it is the DVR. My H23 has no such freeze, but the HR23 does this all the time. One notch that Dish can place on their belts is that the 722 has no such issue. But, half the HD that the HR23 does.

I would try shaking all the cable to see if any change can be produced. Then tapping on the LNB and or swapping the position of the feeds. Try to make the problem move. The signal levels look good but somehow they are not consistent. Last thing it could be is a box problem.

Joe

The problem isnt the transponders, he is obviously able to ping them fine. The problem is in the lines, somewhere a bottleneck is being created which is blocking the upper frequency range... probably above 1450mhtz.

My guess would be as simple as updating the wallplates (seriosly), there could be a slight possibility the SWMLnb or SWMSplitter is bad but Channel 9 is also an upper frequency and not getting it means guide data is not being transmitted to that box properly.

See if you are getting all 9 channel readings on SWM on your D12. If you are swap the D12 for the HR and see if they still show up. You could also move the HR into the D12 location and see if the problem persists.

My guess is that the following need to be replaced

WallPlate
Connectors behind the wall plate
a Barrel or 2 in the lines

The lines themselves should be fine, but the listed need to be checked and changed if they do not have PPCEX XL fittings on them The line behind that wall plate could be crimped too if the excess is being squished in the wall box.

The problem isnt the transponders, he is obviously able to ping them fine. The problem is in the lines, somewhere a bottleneck is being created which is blocking the upper frequency range... probably above 1450mhtz.

My guess would be as simple as updating the wallplates (seriosly), there could be a slight possibility the SWMLnb or SWMSplitter is bad but Channel 9 is also an upper frequency and not getting it means guide data is not being transmitted to that box properly.

See if you are getting all 9 channel readings on SWM on your D12. If you are swap the D12 for the HR and see if they still show up. You could also move the HR into the D12 location and see if the problem persists.

My guess is that the following need to be replaced

WallPlate
Connectors behind the wall plate
a Barrel or 2 in the lines

The lines themselves should be fine, but the listed need to be checked and changed if they do not have PPCEX XL fittings on them The line behind that wall plate could be crimped too if the excess is being squished in the wall box.

Yes,

Inside the wall box.......even if the barrel connector is ok.........for some reason electricians insist on twist on connectors when they run coax. DTV goes to the trouble of using a good quality compression fitting but the builder supplies twist on fittings installed with a box cutter and pliers.

If the fitting comes off when pulled it should be recut.

Could be it.

Joe

ok well here's my next question...when I call to have someone come and out check these should I call DirecTV or the company that installed the system? The company that did the installation said any problems within 60 days to call them and not Directv and they will come out for free. But since they have already been out twice and the problem is still there I'm starting to get a little frustrated. I also have the Directv home protection plan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)