New customer very IMPRESSED and SATISFIED with DIRECTV!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Glad the new guys are enjoying the service. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Jason Crandall, when you talk about losing HD signal in a storm, are you talking subscribed HD or regular? Because I'm not subscribed too or paying for any HD packages on Directv, but like on my local stations like NBC, ABC, CBS, some programs like when I watch "The Today Show" or "The Early Show" in the mornings before work, they are offered in HD or atleast say they are on my Guide Menu. But anyways, no even when the strong thunderstorms and gusty 35+ mph winds came a few days ago to my area, I didn't lose any signal at all. No "signal loss" or "searching for signal" came on....I was still watching my favorite tv shows that evening as if no storm came at all. I also don't think or know if I lost any HD signal at all.....if I did it certainly didn't show it nor did I realize I did. :)

What he means is, if you have HD service, the actual HD channels tend to go out before their SD counterparts do. For example, if you are watching ESPN HD and a storm comes through, it may go out. However if you switch to the SD version of ESPN, it may still be watchable. Is that a little more clear?

Its compression. The E* Signal is more compressed, and relies heavily on the receiver to decompress the signal, thats probably wy you have higher failure rates on E* HD units, because the gpu's are working hard.

Its compression. The E* Signal is more compressed, and relies heavily on the receiver to decompress the signal, thats probably wy you have higher failure rates on E* HD units, because the gpu's are working hard.
:haha

I wont even go into how wrong this statement is. The compression happens at the NOC ( Network Operations Center) that is where the picture get ruined by dish and by direct to a degree. which then gets uplinked to there there satellites and beamed down to customers dishes. Now 1. the GPU not that there is one in the boxes but the gpu is not responsable for any type of decompression. the raw transport stream goes from the tuner to the dedicated mpeg decoder, now the decoder doesnt work any harder if the signal is compressed down to the clarity of mud.

But I am not here to argue I will tell you this this is not a place to go bashing E* I am ashamed that you have chosen the name you have and made the post that you done. Dish TSR staff does not mention D* out of professional courtesy here at these boards it is a neutral playing field. If you dont like it go back to what ever hole you come from.

I wont even go into how wrong this statement is. The compression happens at the NOC ( Network Operations Center) that is where the picture get ruined by dish and by direct to a degree. which then gets uplinked to there there satellites and beamed down to customers dishes. Now 1. the GPU not that there is one in the boxes but the gpu is not responsable for any type of decompression. the raw transport stream goes from the tuner to the dedicated mpeg decoder, now the decoder doesnt work any harder if the signal is compressed down to the clarity of mud.

Just to add:

The master broadcast feeds for the most part are very sharp & clean with little or no digital artifacts. The picture quality goes down due to the lack of bandwidth on the small dish services, the amount of channels in a mux, the down rezing of the original, and the bits available to that channel from statmux at the time it's needed. Its all done at the NOC like stonecold said. That is why the end result can look like crap. It has nothing to do with the receiver at your end. Its receiving the garbage to start with. Garbage in garbage out.

It's a shame that services like Dish and Direct can't pass along the master in it's virgin state. If most people saw the real quality of the master signal, they would never want to watch the poor excuse these second generation providers with limited bandwidth provide.

The C Band HD Master Page

HD Lite The Big Lie...

Just to add:

It's a shame that services like Dish and Direct can't pass along the master in it's virgin state. If most people saw the real quality of the master signal, they would never want to watch the poor excuse these second generation providers with limited bandwidth provide.

The C Band HD Master Page

HD Lite The Big Lie...

But what's the tradeoff? Would you rather have more "HD Lite" channels or fewer HD channels that might be 10% better than the "HD Lite".

Having watched a season of college football DVR'd from E* broadcasts and OTA broadcasts, I would take more channels. The difference between a minimally compressed mpeg2 OTA signal and E*'s mpeg4 broadcasts is very small. Maybe if I had a 110" projector setup in a darkened theater setting I'd notice the difference a lot more, but on my 50" plasma it is virtually unnoticeable.

On a related note, does anyone know how physically large a typical 3.5 hour game is on the DVR? I know on E*, the average game was typically less than 8gb vs. ~21gb for an OTA recording. The common school of thought is that E* compressed more than D* and I am just trying to decide if I need to get an external HDD or not.

While I am impressed with many things having just switched myself, I'm not satisfied with my bill. I'm still hoping it will be straightened out...
Strange billing update: all my rebates were removed from my online account yesterday. Then later on 2 of 3 were added back and I submitted them just to try to move ahead.

Then CSR emailed to say they were all posted to my account and my base package pricing had been straightened out. That wasn't true - so I reminded them that one rebate status now showed up as 'ineligible' and the base package price hadn't posted a change.

It's confusing to me. I originally told them of all the billing errors 6 weeks ago and it's like all the details when out the window. Each time they claim the errors are all fixed, I go to check and only one is fixed. Then I have to remind them about the remainder. It would be nice if it could be just fixed and not drag on and have to restate the issues every couple days. Thank goodness for email instead of waiting on hold for endless hours...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)