new customer with two concerns

Status
Please reply by conversation.

daverp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
I finally had it with Comcast today and signed up for DirecTv and have two concerns. Before agreeing, the customer service guy reassured me that I only need to run one wire to my dual tuner DVR’s not two and that I do not need a phone line as those DVR’S can check in via Ethernet.
With that being said, I can’t find any reference to either of those assurances being true on DirecTv website. Did the DirectTv guy lie to me or these undocumented features?

Thanks,
Dave

I finally had it with Comcast today and signed up for DirecTv and have two concerns. Before agreeing, the customer service guy reassured me that I only need to run one wire to my dual tuner DVR’s not two and that I do not need a phone line as those DVR’S can check in via Ethernet.
With that being said, I can’t find any reference to either of those assurances being true on DirecTv website. Did the DirectTv guy lie to me or these undocumented features?

Thanks,
Dave

He didn't lie...he just had no clue. As of right now, you need dual cables to the DVR's for full functionality (to record two shows at once, to record one and watch another) but they will work just like a VCR with only one input.

The updates are all done through the satellite data stream. The phone line is for PPV ordering, so the DVR's will work just fine without them. I don't think the Ethernet ports are active on the DVR's yet.

He lied then:mad::mad:

He didn't lie...he just had no clue. As of right now, you need dual cables to the DVR's for full functionality (to record two shows at once, to record one and watch another) but they will work just like a VCR with only one input.

The updates are all done through the satellite data stream. The phone line is for PPV ordering, so the DVR's will work just fine without them. I don't think the Ethernet ports are active on the DVR's yet.

they have swm technology coming in a few weeks/months that will let the dvr work on one wire. ir is being tested and working quite well.

phone is only needed for ppv, which can be done on internet too.

He only told a small lie.... Seeing as Masterdeals mentioned that the SWM set up is coming soon, it's in beta testing now.

No phone line needed for use of theHR20-700, -100.

SWM is a mess on the D12. Just ask me. :mad: They have been pushing software updates to us, but haven't got it sorted yet. The issue for me is if the power flickers the D12 goes apecrap and erases part of your favorites list.
Its flawless on my HR20 though, and the Legacy ports that the module itself provides work just fine on my R15. The R15 itself, however, is a steaming pile of elephant dung. :)

If you wanna see a pic of it lemme know I think I have one here somewhere....oh yeah, like Jimbo said, you don't need a phone line except for PPV ordering by remote. you still can order PPV online or call in to do it. Or so I have been told, I haven't ordered a PPV since the late 1990's....

SWM is a mess on the D12. Just ask me. :mad: They have been pushing software updates to us, but haven't got it sorted yet. The issue for me is if the power flickers the D12 goes apecrap and erases part of your favorites list.
Its flawless on my HR20 though, and the Legacy ports that the module itself provides work just fine on my R15. The R15 itself, however, is a steaming pile of elephant dung. :)

If you wanna see a pic of it lemme know I think I have one here somewhere....oh yeah, like Jimbo said, you don't need a phone line except for PPV ordering by remote. you still can order PPV online or call in to do it. Or so I have been told, I haven't ordered a PPV since the late 1990's....

Why are you using a SWM on a D12 receiver that only has one input?

Where was a R-15 mentioned in the OP 's post ?

Jimbo

"I finally had it with Comcast today and signed up for DirecTv and have two concerns. Before agreeing, the customer service guy reassured me that I only need to run one wire to my dual tuner DVR’s not two and that I do not need a phone line as those DVR’S can check in via Ethernet.
With that being said, I can’t find any reference to either of those assurances being true on DirecTv website. Did the DirectTv guy lie to me or these undocumented features?"

He never said what DVR. Could be an HR20 or an R15. Since it said Ethernet it could be HR20, however a SWM only allows one run on HR20 not R15 since it was referred about a switch that still in testing and still has issues.

"I finally had it with Comcast today and signed up for DirecTv and have two concerns. Before agreeing, the customer service guy reassured me that I only need to run one wire to my dual tuner DVR’s not two and that I do not need a phone line as those DVR’S can check in via Ethernet.
With that being said, I can’t find any reference to either of those assurances being true on DirecTv website. Did the DirectTv guy lie to me or these undocumented features?"

He never said what DVR. Could be an HR20 or an R15. Since it said Ethernet it could be HR20, however a SWM only allows one run on HR20 not R15 since it was referred about a switch that still in testing and still has issues.

Good point and your right, seeing he didn't mention it, I just presumed that most would not be getting a R-15 at this time with the HR20's available now, but I guess theres still a use for them on non HD sets .... That said,, I'd getr a HR20 for my non HD set before I'd get a R-15 for it. eventually I'll be buying that second set and it will be HD not standard.

ps. I've got a Sony 27" XBR that looks great, I bought it in '91 and it won't die, I don't want it to die, but you know what I'm saying.

Jimbo

Good point and your right, seeing he didn't mention it, I just presumed that most would not be getting a R-15 at this time with the HR20's available now, but I guess theres still a use for them on non HD sets .... That said,, I'd getr a HR20 for my non HD set before I'd get a R-15 for it. eventually I'll be buying that second set and it will be HD not standard.

ps. I've got a Sony 27" XBR that looks great, I bought it in '91 and it won't die, I don't want it to die, but you know what I'm saying.

Jimbo

I agree, if you can swing it, get the HR20 no matter what. I watch my HR20 on a 10 inch portable screen via composite and looks good. Its more the functionality than the HD picture. Plus, with an HD receiver, you get the HD channels regardless of watching in HD ratio. You loose out on great channels like HDNet. HD channels are only going to keep increasing too so non-HD receivers wont see them.

I'm getting one HD DVR and one SD DVR.

Well I guess you've heard the story,one person's crap is another's diamond?.I have the R15-500 and it has been working great!(no problems).;)

I don't understand the original poster's problem as when Directv installs the DVR they will also install all the lines to make it work right.;)

Jimbo

Well when you can get the R15 for Free or have to pay an upfront fee for the HR20?.It's really a no brainer to me.;)

Thanks,
Dave
i assure you he didnt lie, i can however assure you he is a dee dee dee just an idiot who was trained by an idiot. You absolutely need 2 lines to the dvr, and also a phone line while not being vital is required according to directv. your dvr will still work as downloads/upgrades are done thru the sat.
good luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)