New D* Customer Install Question (Two HD DVR's)...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

willx45x

Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
I am switching from Comcast to D* and have an install scheduled for this Saturday. I currently have two HD DVR's with Comcast - one upstairs, one downstairs. I'm getting two D* HD DVR's to replace those and figured there would be no real issues. Now I'm concerned about two primary issues after doing some research and searching previous topics on this forum:

1. It seems my D* HD DVR's require two cables and not one. Does that mean a new cable jack in each location? If so, how hard is that to accomplish (wiring is in the attic upstairs) and how much additional will that make my "free" install? I don't want to get the guy out here only to find out that he can't do it. This is recent construction and I think wiring is pretty standard but not overly cutting edge.

2. I currently have cable internet coming from a separate cable jack upstairs. Will that still work, or do I need to switch to DSL before my install? I would like to keep cable for the time being, but can change if I have to.

Many thanks for your input! I don't remember having two cables jacks when I had an E* HD DVR. In fact, I believe the tech used some sort of splitter/signal booster from the wall to the unit. That DVR controlled two TV's - one HD, one standard. Just trying to figure out how involved this is likely to be.

THANKS!!!

w

I am switching from Comcast to D* and have an install scheduled for this Saturday. I currently have two HD DVR's with Comcast - one upstairs, one downstairs. I'm getting two D* HD DVR's to replace those and figured there would be no real issues. Now I'm concerned about two primary issues after doing some research and searching previous topics on this forum:

1. It seems my D* HD DVR's require two cables and not one. Does that mean a new cable jack in each location? If so, how hard is that to accomplish (wiring is in the attic upstairs) and how much additional will that make my "free" install? I don't want to get the guy out here only to find out that he can't do it. This is recent construction and I think wiring is pretty standard but not overly cutting edge.

2. I currently have cable internet coming from a separate cable jack upstairs. Will that still work, or do I need to switch to DSL before my install? I would like to keep cable for the time being, but can change if I have to.

Many thanks for your input! I don't remember having two cables jacks when I had an E* HD DVR. In fact, I believe the tech used some sort of splitter/signal booster from the wall to the unit. That DVR controlled two TV's - one HD, one standard. Just trying to figure out how involved this is likely to be.

THANKS!!!

w

Most likely the the install will still be free. The installer will probably use two sets of doubleline RG6 cable. The HD DVRs can use one cable but that device (SWM Single Wire Multiswitch) would cost around $100 so they don't like to use it also it seems a lot of installs don't have that device yet. If you got 3 HD DVRs they might throw it in for free but I dunno.

Just tell the installer not to touch the comcast cables and everything should work out.

Adding on a bit...

It really does depend on the installer and what they have in the van. Some installers would just run one additional line to each room, some a twin line. The SWM is running at $139 from Sadoun, but allows for a single run to each compatible receiver (HR2x HD DVR included). If the installer seems to be stubborn and wants to charge extra, save the money and buy the SWM. It is quite simple to install and you guarantee you won't disable your cable internet.

Your cable modem sounds like it's on an isolated line coming in from a second drop from the Cable Interface Box. If this is the case, the installer would not be able to touch this line at all. Your Cable Internet is safe ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)