New D* experiences (long)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tpicciani

Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Lancaster, Pa
Just got Directv yesterday, going from Comcast. Got tired of them deleting channels and increasing fees.

My location is Lancaster, Pa. I got 1 dvr, 1 hd receiver, and 3 SD boxes. The dish is a 3 LNB job.

My dad found a 32 inch LG TV under the tree. I arranged to have the install done a day later. It really threw him.

Not everything went smoothly. For instance, when I placed the original order 4 weeks ago I forgot to add an HD receiver. Called them and D* couldn't add another receiver till after the install. To correct the matter and get the install done on the day after Christmas, they had to delete the entire account and resubmit it. Took a week to clean up things and a half dozen emails. But they did the job and I kept my install date. Also, they gave me a free PPV movie for my trouble.

On to the install: First, the funny part. The installer's name are Ariel. Would be funnier if he installed antennas.... Seriously, he was a very nice guy who knew his stuff. If anyone is in the Central Pa. area and is getting a D* install, I'd highly recommend asking for this guy.

We started by having a discussion about the best place to mount the dish. We have a relatively gently sloped roof. He assured us that we could mount the dish behind the peak out of site. Install went well and the signal strength is 95%. Also, he was very thorough with regard to hiding the cable under the molding and siding. Very pleased with his work.

The 5 boxes installed just fine.

Now, the culture shock part. Yes, there is a learning curve. Going from Comcast to D* is like going from a bicycle to a Ferrari! The learning curve is a little steep. I'm a techie guy but my Dad is 70+. So I've been force feeding him the simple suggestion again and again: "Use the Guide button".

He's resistent to change but I think he's coming around. He is very impressed with the HD quality of the images. My signal is better with D* than it was with Comcast.

Also, I set up 2 Favorites lists for him, one short, and one longer. That way he can still thumb through the channels. I have to convince him not to try and memorize channels but instead to use the guide.

Oh, and I had a box go out this morning at 12:30 a.m. I called D* and they walked me through the reactivation page and the receiver reset. Took 2 tries but the guy got me up and running. Since I do a lot of customer service I can say that all my experiences have been quite pleasant.

More later....

Tom P.

Glad he is pleased with it:up

Lots of useful info around here if you need it

FYI, if you have HD DVR boxes try hitting the up arrow (the one above the yellow select button) and see if you got the new QuickTune feature. Might help your dad with some of the channels.

Yeah. I didn't think I'd use the quicktune feature but I've used it several times. Did you get an HD DVR? (if so which model did they give you) or just a regular hd receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)