New D* HD DVR's (HR20) -vs- Tivo HR10-250 HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thedirtmerchant

Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
I posted this in the S&V forum I usually frequent, but I'm trying to see if other people are bothered by this. Is there anything we can do? Anyone hear rumors of updates for this? Read my post below and you'll see what I'm unhappy about.

I've had my HR10-250 HD DVR for a little over 2 years and I love it. It recently crapped out on me and I was excited to learn that I could upgrade to the new one for $19.95 and a 2 year contract w/ D* (as I've mentioned repeatedly this is not an issue to me). So they ship it out Friday morning and it arrives Saturday afternoon. EXCELLENT. I leave it alone until this evening during halftime of the Giants game and start setup. All good, mentions in the manual that I can record 3 SHOWS at once (2 on the separate tuners and one from OTA). Can't get this to work, but it mentions that it is possible. Sounds good, but we'll see. Anyway on to my actual issue w/ the new receiver...

1. You CANNOT pause one channel on tuner 1, switch to tuner 2...watch show, switch back to tuner 1 and pick up exactly where you left of. I repeat YOU CANNOT DO THIS!!! This was one of the greatest and most convenient things that I now have learned was part of Tivo, but not D* HD DVR's. My wife and I loved it. We would literally watch 2 shows at once. Watch show 1, pause at commercial, switch to show 2, pause at commercial, pick up show 1 at same point, wash, rinse, repeat. Once it hit the end of the time slot we would finish one show out then watch the last 10 minutes or so from the "list" of recorded shows. Excellent! During Football season this was THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD. I would never miss a minute of the Giants game (pause at commercial, switch to any close game/rival team/red zone/any game) switch back to the Giant game and not miss ANYTHING. NOW WHAT HAPPENS is you are UNABLE to even switch to the second tuner at any time. In order to do this you have to record whatever channel, then switch the channel (which is now on the other tuner). However, you do not have the ability to pause the show that is recording then come back to it at the same point. You can pause it, but once you switch channels the pause point is removed and the show continues. You would have to rewind to get to the same point.

2. on the new DVR the channel you are watching automatically has the last 90 minutes of the channel as long as you haven't changed the channel (which is nice). previously it was 30 minutes. on the new DVR it only does this on ONE tuner at a time. It does not occur on both tuners (as it did on the Tivo HD-DVR's).

According to the tech I was speaking with at D* my old Tivo HD-DVR will continue to get any current HD channel, but will not recognize any HD channels being sent from the new satellite. Which says to me that I will keep my "old" HD DVR and echoing one of our other members (forget who) you will have to pry that thing out of my cold dead fingers before I give it up. As it stands the "old" HD DVR is stuck in a reboot loop ("powering up" message, "few more minutes" message, back to "powering up", repeat). MatthewB has mentioned that reseting a couple times cleared it up. I plan to try this soon. Otherwise, who can I send my Tivo to to be fixed? I'll be contacting Tivo I guess...who services these things? D* says they don't, they'll just send out a replacement...

I also plan to send multiple emails to D* regarding this issue. They seriously need to update their code or have whomever makes these new DVR's update their code. I can't believe how annoyed I am about this. If I get my old Tivo working it will remain in my main system and the new one will be in the bedroom or something. UGH!!!

I just switched over to 2 HR20-700 from my HR10-250 and HR10...the only thing I don't like is the menu stuff. Other wise it just takes a little getting used to. I know of no way to record 3 channels at one time. You can record 2 and watch a program that you recorded earlier. I will sell my HR10-250 for 75.00 plus shipping. I live in Florida if your interested.

I just switched over to 2 HR20-700 from my HR10-250 and HR10...the only thing I don't like is the menu stuff. Other wise it just takes a little getting used to. I know of no way to record 3 channels at one time. You can record 2 and watch a program that you recorded earlier. I will sell my HR10-250 for 75.00 plus shipping. I live in Florida if your interested.

There is currently No way to record 3 things at the same time.

Jimbo

There is currently No way to record 3 things at the same time.

Jimbo

Only with Video On Demand. You can record 2 things OTA/Directv and a few with VOD at the same time. Its in testing now for the few, the proud, the Living on the Edge Testers. :)

It has been well documented that the D* non-Tivo DVR's do not have dual live buffers and MANY folks have let D* know that they want it. On the other hand many former Tivo users say they really don't miss it.

One way to get around it is to just record both channels then you can switch between the two recordings. It's a PITA but it works as a circumvention.

This is no secret - it's all over this forum as well as DBS Talk, Tivo Community, AVS and certainly others. Read up on the "dual live buffers".

I too use the dual live buffers religiously on my HD-Tivo - honestly, probably even more than 'record'. Fortunately, mine is still working flawlessly. I have me HR20 on a different TV. A lot of people have just learned to live with the lack of a dual live buffer. I've only had mine for a few weeks, and it's not on our primary viewing TV so I haven't used it a whole lot. I'm sure that will take some time for me...

P.S. Anyone know who I should contact/where I should go to get my HR10-250 serviced?

You almost certainly have a failed hard disk. If you go to the TiVo community forum you will find info on how to replace the disk - you can buy complete preformatted disks from people like Weaknees or can get images which allow you to format a drive you buy yourself.

You almost certainly have a failed hard disk. If you go to the TiVo community forum you will find info on how to replace the disk - you can buy complete preformatted disks from people like Weaknees or can get images which allow you to format a drive you buy yourself.
They charge an arm and a leg. I would suggest buying a drive from Newegg, and instant cake from DVRupgrade (20 bucks). Slap the drive in and old PC, boot up with the linux instant cake CD and let it create a replacement drive.

They charge an arm and a leg. I would suggest buying a drive from Newegg, and instant cake from DVRupgrade (20 bucks). Slap the drive in and old PC, boot up with the linux instant cake CD and let it create a replacement drive.

He's right. Its very easy to do.

I don't think I watch live TV anymore because I always record it, even if it's ready to start in a minute. It just makes things so much easier in case I need to stop watching for whatever reason and don't have to worry about a live buffer. After having used both the HR10-250 and HR20 since the HR20 first came out, the only thing I can say I miss from the HR10-250 is the 3 beeps when fast forwarding. I love being able to use the menus, guide, etc. and still be able to see the picture in the upper right while doing so.

It has been well documented that the D* non-Tivo DVR's do not have dual live buffers and MANY folks have let D* know that they want it. On the other hand many former Tivo users say they really don't miss it.

One way to get around it is to just record both channels then you can switch between the two recordings. It's a PITA but it works as a circumvention.

Well I DEFINITELY miss it. What's annoying is that EVEN if you record 2 channels you can't pause one and go directly to the other. Then go back and pick up where you left off. Looks like I'll swap a HDD and buy that instant cake mentioned. Freakin ANNOYING!!!

Which version of Instant Cake should I be getting?

InstantCakeHD 6.3d Standard

or

InstantCakeHD 3.1.5f Standard

Not exactly sure what the difference is...

Hey plywodstatebum I sent you a private message if you are still interested in selling it.

Which version of Instant Cake should I be getting?

InstantCakeHD 6.3d Standard

or

InstantCakeHD 3.1.5f Standard

Not exactly sure what the difference is...
Depends on which software version you like. I suspect your HR10 was running 6.3d or e if you let it update. Mine runs 3.1.5f, it hasnt seen a phone line in years. Theres a whole lot more yu can do too. You dont have to go back with a 250 GB drive you can use larger, or add 2 drives of equal size at 250 or larger inside with brackets, power cables and IDE cables they sell . You can also get their PTVnet utilities and add networking to your HR10, and even file extraction to PC if you read the threads at dealdatabase.

Last edited:
Depends on which software version you like. I suspect your HR10 was running 6.3d or e if you let it update. Mine runs 3.1.5f, it hasnt seen a phone line in years. Theres a whole lot more yu can do too. You dont have to go back with a 250 GB drive you can use larger, or add 2 drives of equal size at 250 or larger inside with brackets, power cables and IDE cables they sell . You can also get their PTVnet utilities and add networking to your HR10, and even file extraction to PC if you read the threads at dealdatabase.

Been thinking about doing this for a while now, but I think I might wait till the new update comes and see what it's like.

Well I DEFINITELY miss it. What's annoying is that EVEN if you record 2 channels you can't pause one and go directly to the other. Then go back and pick up where you left off. Looks like I'll swap a HDD and buy that instant cake mentioned. Freakin ANNOYING!!!

I think you may be able to do that now, IF you have the HR20-700 and the current CE update, this update added a nice little feature that you can stop a show and then resume or start over, this is new for the HR20, I don't know if the old HR10's did that already or not.

Jimbo

I love being able to use the menus, guide, etc. and still be able to see the picture in the upper right while doing so.

I use this feature on the HR20 on a daily basis and the only time I used dual live buffers was on Sundays during the Fall and early winter for NFL Sunday Ticket. I dropped my subscription this Season so I wouldn't be using dlb at all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts