New D*User-Installation coming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nhebert

Original poster
Feb 7, 2007
I am currently on digital cable with Tivo Series 3. Going to D* for the wealth of HD programming, plus NFL network which our cheap cable co will not pick up. Some questions:
1. Went the Circuit City route, not the cheapest I know but at least it is coming next week. Told the guy I wanted EVERYTHING, but I didnt specify the extra HD pak. How do I add this ? Tell the installer ?
2. I know its not Tivo, which in MHO is the best DVR software on the planet, but does anyone have any experience from going from Tivo to the D* software ? IE season pass, etc
3. Any experience with remote phone devices ? I have to use one since I dont have phone line near the HDTV. I have a cable phone, but have had no problems with my security system that is connected to the cable phone system.
4. Does it do photos etc from a PC in the house ? Docs are not clear on this although its not that big of a deal
5. fyi, I have a Mitsubishi 65 inch DLP set in the LR, and a 50 inch LCD in the BR. Im getting 2 HD20S in those rooms, and a regular SD receiver for upstairs guests
6. HD on cable through TIVO 3 looks FANTASTIC, just not enough channels.
7. any problems with HDMI connectivity ? My TIVO series 3 HDMI did not work well with my TV.
8. Planning on weaknees to upgrade my hard drive to 100 hours HD, as I did with my TIVO series 3. ( TiVo Superstore | High Capacity TiVo DVRs, Upgrades, Remotes, Parts & Repairs )

Any tips/suggestions welcome.

Thanks for any help

First of all:
:welcome to the site.
Look around stay awhile !!!

1.Either the installer will tell them when he calls in or you can call in and add it, might ba able to do it online, but not sure about that.

2. I've never had TIVO, but as far as the season passes, I have plenty of them and have no problem with any of them.

3. The only thing that need a phone line for is if you want to order a PPV thru the remote, everything else comes over the datastream (dish).
You can order PPV's online as well.

4. Yes it will, do a search either here or at dbstalk,theres plenty of info available.

5. You mean your getting 2 HR20S's (R designates Recorder)

7. From what I've heard lately, HDMI is working better with the newer products, remember the HDMI issue is NOT strictly a D* problem, there are alot of issues with it in various products.

8. Only a 100 ??? How many GB's are you planning on adding ?

Jimbo

5. yes, HD recorders
8. weaknees.com, a $399 750 gb drive from weaknees.com will do about 100 hours HD, and 700 hours SD. The $599 1 TB drive does 145 ours HD, and 1000 hours SD.

Should I do ESATA external drives instead ?

eSATA is cheaper

5. yes, HD recorders
8. weaknees.com, a $399 750 gb drive from weaknees.com will do about 100 hours HD, and 700 hours SD. The $599 1 TB drive does 145 ours HD, and 1000 hours SD.

Should I do ESATA external drives instead ?

Just plug and play. You can also open the box and swap a new drive in. It formats itself. You can buy a 750gb SATA for under $200. BestBuy had Seagate 750gb eSATAs this weekend for under $200.

External HD upgrade is the way to go. As was stated above, the 750gb Seagates w/5yr warranty, were on sale this week at Best Buy for $199. Only way to go as far as I'm concerned. Just plug in, restart, and play! Simple.
You'll find the switch to the D* software is simple and very easy to get used to. Also, these HR20's are very complicated machines, (mini computers). They really need a good surge supressor at the least, or a battery backup as the best setup. Sometimes when they lose power suddenly, it deals them fits getting back up again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts