New DirecTV customer :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

garn9173

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
Ankeny, IA
Getting installed this saturday with 3 receivers, one being a DVR. I was a long time Dish Network subscriber, so i'm anxious to compare the 2 services.

Going through Qwest with a bundle package of phone, DSL, and DirecTV for roughly $90 a month (extra receivers & DVR isn't included).

Glad to be rid of cable and the stupid Mediacom/$inclair spat and i'm finally going to have the NFL Network :cool:

I was told I would get my phone, DSL, and DirecTV for $99 + $6 for a DVR. I think my first month total bill was over $130 with extra charges and taxes. Not to mention you are not saving anything after they tack $8 on your phone bill for long distance (required to get the package) that nobody uses anyway.

I have been very disappointed in my R15 from DirecTV. The interface is ugly, it has a poor design, and it often only records 15 minutes of my shows. If had to do it all over again I would not have taken my phone company's "package deal" and gone with DISH Network.

Remember to post back with your findings once you have used DirecTV for a few weeks.

I read somewhere that said DirecTV is trying to establish themselves as being more expensive, high end service where DISH is the cheaper low end service. With DirecTV's new R15 I think they have only succeeded in being more expensive.

I was told I would get my phone, DSL, and DirecTV for $99 + $6 for a DVR. I think my first month total bill was over $130 with extra charges and taxes. Not to mention you are not saving anything after they tack $8 on your phone bill for long distance (required to get the package) that nobody uses anyway.

I have been very disappointed in my R15 from DirecTV. The interface is ugly, it has a poor design, and it often only records 15 minutes of my shows. If had to do it all over again I would not have taken my phone company's "package deal" and gone with DISH Network.

Remember to post back with your findings once you have used DirecTV for a few weeks.

I read somewhere that said DirecTV is trying to establish themselves as being more expensive, high end service where DISH is the cheaper low end service. With DirecTV's new R15 I think they have only succeeded in being more expensive.

I looked into an Iowa based teleco that has E* with their services, but unlike Qwest, it didn't appear to be a true bundle and Qwest has unlimited nation wide long distance included in their service, which was a plus to my wife and I. Not to mention, if I were to return to E*, i'd get dinged for not having the DVR receiver hooked to a phone line, when there is no phone jack close by the TV that will have the DVR receiver.

We have to pay a monthly fee to be able to pay per call for long distance with BellSouth. We are literally paying $8 for nothing.

Besides, I could use 10-10-XXX if I had to use my phone for long distance. In reality, I would simply use my cell phone.

I just think I ran into a bad deal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)