Status
Please reply by conversation.

Juan

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
For those who were living in a fantasy world!! here comes reality!!

Higher expectations - The Boston Globe

The spokesman, Robert Mercer, said current prices for HD service won't change with the new channels, though DirecTV is in the process of finalizing some new high-definition packages.

For those who were living in a fantasy world!! here comes reality!!

Higher expectations - The Boston Globe

The spokesman, Robert Mercer, said current prices for HD service won't change with the new channels, though DirecTV is in the process of finalizing some new high-definition packages.

Actually Juan, no news here. You seem to be the one living in the fantasy world. Let me guess, E* sub? We all have known for quite a while that the HD fee was not going to go up yet. We all expect that to change when the usual price increases come, usually early spring. So, sorry, you can't rain on our parade, nice try. Now go on back to your TV and watch some Voom, we here have to get ready for our BTN games and some NFL football. Thank you though for being concerned about our bill. Now go pay your $20 HD fee.

I think you are kidding yourself if you think there will be no price increase. I don't care what the propoganda press statements are. Use common sense.

Actually Juan, no news here. You seem to be the one living in the fantasy world. Let me guess, E* sub? We all have known for quite a while that the HD fee was not going to go up yet. We all expect that to change when the usual price increases come, usually early spring. So, sorry, you can't rain on our parade, nice try. Now go on back to your TV and watch some Voom, we here have to get ready for our BTN games and some NFL football. Thank you though for being concerned about our bill. Now go pay your $20 HD fee.

:D LMAO !!!!

Actually I believe in the past they were saying that the new HD channels would be added at no additional cost. So this news does wave a red flag in my eyes.

However we don't know any of the details yet, there is a lot they can do with HD packages especially with some premium HD services coming on line (why subscribe to SD HBO when you can get 11 HBO Channels in full HD) etc.

I would wait for details before screaming there is a price increase coming.

Apparently we have a lack of communication here. Of course there will be a price increase, how could there not be? I am just stating that I I suspect that there will not be one till after the end of the year. They stated no price increase, but that was for the immediate future. So, if the price goes up next year are you all going to be yelling "told you so?"

Actually I believe in the past they were saying that the new HD channels would be added at no additional cost. So this news does wave a red flag in my eyes.

However we don't know any of the details yet, there is a lot they can do with HD packages especially with some premium HD services coming on line (why subscribe to SD HBO when you can get 11 HBO Channels in full HD) etc.

I would wait for details before screaming there is a price increase coming.
The big question is if you "repackage" something does that count as a price increase? If you upgrade to HD Do u lose your grandfathered package? There are pleanty of way's to increase revenues without increasing prices

Here is what DirecTV CEO Chase Carey said a few weeks ago on the earnings call.

More is more'I think there's a magic to having a unique volume," he said. "I think there is a critical mass that is important." The HDTV expansion won't increase DirecTV programming costs, since the satellite provider is negotiating HDTV rights when it does its traditional analog deals, according to Carey.

DirecTV CEO Carey Promises 70 HD Channels By End of Third Quarter

The HD enabling fee of $9.99 has a hidden factor that most haven't awakened to. If you subscribe to "Family Pak" you will only be enabled for HD versions of channels in that package. The same for "Choice" etc so a raise in base package pricing will affect all subscribers wether they have HD or not.

Apparently we have a lack of communication here. Of course there will be a price increase, how could there not be? I am just stating that I I suspect that there will not be one till after the end of the year. They stated no price increase, but that was for the immediate future. So, if the price goes up next year are you all going to be yelling "told you so?"
What if it happens sept 15th? (when they repackage)

I think some folks should re read the statement again...

The spokesman, Robert Mercer, said current prices for HD service won't change with the new channels...
There it says it... current prices won't change.

though DirecTV is in the process of finalizing some new high-definition packages.
Now here is where you can let the speculation begin. This could be a HD ONLY package, this could be HD Preimum Package, this could be the new mythical "All Access" package. We just don't know. :)

Not a terrible article, but I just need to point out a couple glaring omissions by the author...

Now, with television technology undergoing a major overhaul, DirecTV is again looking to gain the competitive advantage: Last month, it launched the first of two new satellites into space that will allow it to offer 100 new high-definition channels -- far more than cable can currently provide -- by year's end.
Er...excuse me, but television has been undergoing a major overhaul the past few years...DirecTV is just finally coming to the table. Also, Verizon FiOS TV (and AT&T's IPTV product for that matter) was ruled to be a "cable technology"...that's why they must negotiate a deal with the local franchise authorities (LFAs). There is no such "advantage" over the FiOS cable technology and their PQ is far superior to anything DirecTV or Dish Network will offer - it cannot be surpassed. Additionally, Comcast and others are currently testing video switching technology that will negate any such perceived advantage. Finally, the author failed to mention DirecTV has been in last place, in terms of both quality and quantity, behind DishHD and cable HD for the past 3 1/2 years.

For now, though, DirecTV can beat cable to the punch for the same reasons the cable companies were able to gain an advantage with their bundled services: technology.
Er...the author forgot to mention that Dish Network already beat them to the punch back in May 2005...more than 2 years ago. Plus, the author conveniently ommitted the impact Verizon FiOS is having on the cable industry.

Anyway, this reads more like a press release than it does an objective new article in the Business/Technology section.:down

Status
Please reply by conversation.