New DirecTV installation and Philips TV - remote control not working properly!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

highlanderfil

Original poster
May 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I just got the Philips 42PFL5704D/F7 TV and had DirecTV installed today. Here's the sequence of events so that maybe the culprit could be isolated.

1. TV received as I'm watching cable on my old CRT. Remote works fine.
2. TV installed and set up on a different surface from before (and older lacquered coffee table) and hooked up to the old cable box. Remote seems to work fine, but I only clicked a couple times.
3. I leave to look for a different table to put it on. Having found nothing, I return - TV works beautifully as a PC monitor but the cable box remote no longer works at all. Sometimes when I press the buttons in "Cable" mode, a light on the TV flashes, sometimes nothing happens.
4. DirecTV installed today. Remote only works half the time and that's only when pointed directly at the IR spot on the box. Again, a couple presses of buttons in the "DirecTV" mode result in light blinking on the TV as if its infrared receiver is picking it up instead.
5. I dig around and fortuitously find an IR receiver for an AverMedia TV tuner which I promptly stick into the DirecTV box's USB port. Voila, seems to be working at least 70% better.

So what could it be? The table? The TV? And what can I do to fix it aside from the IR extender which works OK, but still not 100% of the time?

Last edited:
You may be suffering from IR interference. This is when a second source of IR (possibly from another remote) is confusing the receiver.

Also, many devices will show that they have received an IR signal even though it isn't for that device.

Which box did you get? If you received a HR22-100 change it to a RF receiver to see if that helps. If you didn't get that receiver look on the back of the remote for a FCC warning label this will indicate a RF remote and adjust the receiver accordingly.

Which box did you get? If you received a HR22-100 change it to a RF receiver to see if that helps. If you didn't get that receiver look on the back of the remote for a FCC warning label this will indicate a RF remote and adjust the receiver accordingly.
I am not sure which box it is, but from what I'm told, all HD DVRs are RF-capable, aren't they? There is an FCC sticker on the back of the remote, so I guess all I need now is an RF antenna?

If you refer to the Directv manual it will help you set your remote to RF. Some TVs have a setting that detects room lighting that will interfere with the IR remote.

If you refer to the Directv manual it will help you set your remote to RF. Some TVs have a setting that detects room lighting that will interfere with the IR remote.
That's the first thing the tech guy and I tried - I don't have an RF antenna on the box. Ordered one yesterday.

LOL...remote(s)??? How many have you purchased over the years?

Which model did you buy and will it work with my PC as well?

NOt sure if they work with PC's or not. Over the years I have tried 5 or 6 universal that say they work with everything but do not. I have the Harmony 510 and to program I hooked into the internet typed in what i own and viola.............

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts