New DirecTV satellite!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fistfullofbeer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
I tried to get the HD channels setup on DTV last year but was unsuccessful in doing so because of LOS issues. The technicians very plainly told me that since I dont have LOS to the 119 satellite, the only way I can get HD is if DTV moves all their HD channels to the 99 or 103 satellites (the only 2 that I have LOS too).

I know that the new satellite was launched a little while back (September?) but I have not followed it very closely. Has anything changed significantly with the addition of this new satellite (with the angles or programming) to help me get LOS and my HD channels?

Is anything going to change significantly in the future to let me get access to the HD satellites?

I live on Whidbey Island in WA state.

Thanks.

As of now, no HD channels have moved from 119 to the new satellites, only new channels have been added to them.

They can install the dish anyway, but you won't get the HD channels on 119. Last I checked, 119 has ESPN2 HD, HDNet, and the HD DNS feeds for CBS East & West, NBC East & West, ABC East, and Fox East. All the rest of the HD channels are spread out on 110, 101 and on the two new locations. If you can live without the channels on 119, you can try to get them to install the dish anyway and say you're aware that you won't get them.

However, if you can't get 110, there will be several others that you can't get.

Here's a link that shows what's "supposed" to be on 119, DirecTV USA on DirecTV 7S at 119.0°W - LyngSat. Those channels can and do change when D* shuffles things around trying to fit in all the old MPEG2 channels when NFL Sunday Ticket fires up.

If you don't mind missing the old MPEG2 channels that might go there all the new HD channels are currently coming from the 103 position (DirecTV10). Now all you'd have to do is find an installer that would install even without access to 119 and take a chance that D* won't put anything there in the future that you might want.

Here's a link that shows what's "supposed" to be on 119, DirecTV USA on DirecTV 7S at 119.0°W - LyngSat. Those channels can and do change when D* shuffles things around trying to fit in all the old MPEG2 channels when NFL Sunday Ticket fires up.

If you don't mind missing the old MPEG2 channels that might go there all the new HD channels are currently coming from the 103 position (DirecTV10). Now all you'd have to do is find an installer that would install even without access to 119 and take a chance that D* won't put anything there in the future that you might want.

Dtv has no plans to add any HD channels to the old sat.

True, but they could rearrange the current MPEG2 channels so what you receive today you may not get tomorrow of you don't get 101/110/119.

There is talk of grandfathering in current subscribers but at this point I dont think they have made there mind up, I herd no grandfathering at first then, that some accounts would be. But that was a wile ago haven’t herd anything new in the last month, of coarse they always reserve the right to move channels out of subs but for now IDK of any plans yet, honestly there are still a large number of people that have the old HD and are paying the 9.99 for the old channels.

There is talk of grandfathering in current subscribers but at this point I dont think they have made there mind up, I herd no grandfathering at first then, that some accounts would be. But that was a wile ago haven’t herd anything new in the last month, of coarse they always reserve the right to move channels out of subs but for now IDK of any plans yet, honestly there are still a large number of people that have the old HD and are paying the 9.99 for the old channels.

I'm not saying that they'd move MPEG2 channels to MPEG4 just that the transponder that a certain channel is on today example HBO on 110 could move to 119 then he'd loose it.

I'm not saying that they'd move MPEG2 channels to MPEG4 just that the transponder that a certain channel is on today example HBO on 110 could move to 119 then he'd loose it.
It could happen but its not likely to come soon. The talk Ive herd in not IF the move it to mpeg4, its when.

It will happen, the question now is when. I agree with everyone and believe that the MPEG2 channels still have 6 months to a year of life before they are moved to exclusivly MPEG4.

I predict that when D11 goes into operation, you can start the clock on the move of then MPEG 2 HD on 110 and 119 over to MPEG 4 from 99 and 103.

Status
Please reply by conversation.