New Dish 922 Spec Sheet

There is a web browser in the 922, just the current beta software has it disabled as they want folks to test other parts of the software. :)

I do wish however that the browser supported Flash.

Aargh. I was looking forward to the web browser. Between the XBox360 and the 922 now refusing to give me a browser window, I'm still looking for a way to get to teh web via my bigscreen TV. 10 years ago I had it with the WebTV portion of my Dishplayer. I've bveen trying to get it back ever since.... Been trying to avoid getting a PC as my stack is already out of space (I have a built in unit with shelves that are two sided (back end is accessible from a utility closet built on the other side of the wall from my media room in the garage....

It will be there (the web browser) they even demoed it on the last Tech Chat.

I just find it funny you cant view the Dish Network website with it since they are heavy on the flash. :)

Wow, this looks like a complete "give up" by Dish just to get a new reciever out. I see nothing here that makes this reciever any better than my 622 with my slingbox. Why even bother when they could just box a 722 with a slingbox and include a hookup diagram?
Maybe I am the only one, but I am waiting or either:
a. HD on the second TV output or
b. Share recordings over Lan like a Tivo (so I can get a simple HD reciever in my bedroom and watch the same recordings).

Why do I get the feeling Dish might have already laid off half their R&D staff to cut costs......

Glad they got rid of that I-Phone remote. Older people would have gone batty with a button free remote.

Why do people insist on this ageist prejudice? I read this site daily. I have seen only a very few positive comments from anyone about the touchpad remote. I am assuming that this board has a reasonable distribution of ages. In fact, Scott, the moderator, was one of the most vocal against the touchpad remote. He is certainly a young man. I think that if you re-read every post here about the touchpad remote, you might more correctly say that people, old and YOUNG, would have gone batty with the button free remote.

I agree . The button less remote control would of definitely kept me from getting a 922 receiver. I am 47, but even I thought this remote control was a losing idea. I am glad that they went with a remote control that I would be familiar with . Now if they would just create a receiver that does hd on tv 1 AND tv 2 I would be pretty happy. I have all hd tvs now and it would be really cool if they could enable hd on the coax .

There is a web browser in the 922, just the current beta software has it disabled as they want folks to test other parts of the software. :)

I do wish however that the browser supported Flash.

Excellent point, Scott. The lack of certain extras to these browsers should not be ignored either. I thought having the browser feature enabled in my PS3 was a good idea but I often find the lack of support for certain media on the web rather disappointing. Sometimes, just going with the HTPC is not such a bad idea.

You may have heard that I finally have a 722K on the way with the OTA module so a 922 for me is at the bottom of my list of wants now.

I would like to say that I am one of the lucky beta testers and I am 26. I thought the touchpad remote sounded cool at first but after using in my home for a while now the remote is a pain. Very inconvenient. I agree wit Lt. DISHER, not user friendly for young and old.

Does the 32.0 remote have the orientation ribs on the underside like my 622. I miss them on my 722k 21.0 learning remote. Replaced them with a rubber band but it's not the same.

Last edited:
Why do people insist on this ageist prejudice? I read this site daily. I have seen only a very few positive comments from anyone about the touchpad remote. I am assuming that this board has a reasonable distribution of ages. In fact, Scott, the moderator, was one of the most vocal against the touchpad remote. He is certainly a young man. I think that if you re-read every post here about the touchpad remote, you might more correctly say that people, old and YOUNG, would have gone batty with the button free remote.

.....chill man or you won't live long enough for it to matter to you. :D

Got some new information on the 922 which I will be posting in a little bit... and again there is no mention of the Web Browser feature. So it looks like Web Browsing could be gone from the 922.

The browser they had wasnt bad, but with no keyboard it was klunky to use and because it didn't support most mime types (flash, java, silverlight, etc.) it made the browser useless anyways.

I also found out that the 922 will be made available on February 1st, 2010.

Scott,

Do you think Dish will make the 922 available to existing customers on Feb 1st?

Thanks

Scott, got a question, in your view with web browing most likely not be a feature, to make this investment in the reciver, as a customer would you say the main feature would be the sling feature over the current Dish recievers, would the guide, layout or Dishonline be an improving feature over the current recievers??

So without the web browser what is so different about the 922 vs the 722k except the $10.00 dvr fee and the new menus and guide with channels Logos? Oh the sling would be nice if you could sling the picture from the 922 in HD to another hd tv in your house. But I doubt they will allow us to do that even if we bought sling catchers ourself for each additional hd tv in our house.

Scott, got a question, in your view with web browing most likely not be a feature, to make this investment in the reciver, as a customer would you say the main feature would be the sling feature over the current Dish recievers, would the guide, layout or Dishonline be an improving feature over the current recievers??

Got to be honest I only used the web browsing a few times, and it was a bad experience all around. I am not going to miss it, although I hope they continue to work on it and roll out the Web Browsing feature at a later date.

I would love to read my facebook and check twitter through my HDTV.

Sling is the main feature, but the new UI is amazing and clean. Also the fact that it has a 1TB drive is also a huge feature. Yeah they have started filling it up with movies and stuff, but still lots of room for your stuff. The 922 will give folks a nearly true VOD feel with hundreds of things to watch instantly at your fingertips.

Got to be honest I only used the web browsing a few times, and it was a bad experience all around. I am not going to miss it, although I hope they continue to work on it and roll out the Web Browsing feature at a later date.

I would love to read my facebook and check twitter through my HDTV.

Sling is the main feature, but the new UI is amazing and clean. Also the fact that it has a 1TB drive is also a huge feature. Yeah they have started filling it up with movies and stuff, but still lots of room for your stuff. The 922 will give folks a nearly true VOD feel with hundreds of things to watch instantly at your fingertips.

For a high price of course.

If they way they are doing DishONLINE now has any indication then there will likely be a decent amount of stuff available for free. The question is how easy is it going to be to find stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)