New Dish Cell Phone

I won't be surprised to see more Dish phone models coming out as they work on moving subscribers off of T-Mobile and eventually AT&T as the Dish 5G network expands. Showing the FCC phones won't do anything for the coverage goals they have to meet. With phones designed to be compatible with Dish as well as the other carriers, they'll be able shift people over pretty seamlessly.
There is no more growth in cell phones...the smart money is in wireless internet

Reactions: charlesrshell
With phones designed to be compatible with Dish as well as the other carriers, they'll be able shift people over pretty seamlessly.

Po$$ibly.

I’d consider it, but I doubt Dish will cover where we keep our trailer anytime soon. Berkeley County, WV right by the Potomac.

Po$$ibly.

I’d consider it, but I doubt Dish will cover where we keep our trailer anytime soon. Berkeley County, WV right by the Potomac.
Like the other carriers, I expect Dish will have roaming agreements where they're needed. Besides the initial MVNO deal with T-Mobile, Dish also has an agreement in place with AT&T. Adding roaming to those wouldn't be much of a stretch I'd think.

And don't forget Charlie will have a $15 voice-mail fee for each account..you will probably be charged an additional $5 fee for each tower you access also

I won't be surprised to see more Dish phone models coming out as they work on moving subscribers off of T-Mobile and eventually AT&T as the Dish 5G network expands. Showing the FCC phones won't do anything for the coverage goals they have to meet. With phones designed to be compatible with Dish as well as the other carriers, they'll be able shift people over pretty seamlessly.
I really don't see them rolling out more models of their own-branded phone because no one much is going to want it. That last sentence you wrote is key: phones designed to be compatible with Dish as well as other carriers. They've got to get Apple and Samsung, at the least, to include support for DISH 5G bands in their popular phones.

Reactions: TheKrell
I really don't see them rolling out more models of their own-branded phone because no one much is going to want it. That last sentence you wrote is key: phones designed to be compatible with Dish as well as other carriers. They've got to get Apple and Samsung, at the least, to include support for DISH 5G bands in their popular phones.
Do you see getting Apple and Samsung onboard as impossible?

They need customers first..actually apple and samsung have global versions of their phones...that would probably work...thise frequencies are already being used by other nations

Eh, T-Mobile has deployed a ton of mid-range 5G that covers big swathes of metro areas and now Verizon and AT&T are doing the same. It's true that the millimeter-wave 5G -- which is all Verizon and AT&T had deployed before this year -- reaches very few actual users because its range is so limited, like 2 or 3 city blocks and barely able to penetrate into buildings. But that's not the case with the midrange 5G (which T-Mobile has a ton of thanks to their acquisition of Sprint).

Obviously, the best-case scenario for consumers is for DISH to build out a big nationwide 5G network to provide greater competition and better prices for consumers. But again, I don't really know if that's ever going to happen. And if it isn't, then consumers would be better served by the FCC yanking all those unused spectrum licenses from DISH and auctioning them off to the big 3 so that the spectrum can actually be used. Which is why there are deployment deadlines on spectrum licenses. If DISH doesn't follow through, the FCC probably isn't going to find anyone else to step into that number 4 role. Although perhaps they could get Comcast and Charter to team up to buy and build out some of the spectrum to make less reliant on Verizon's network and make the wireless industry a bit more competitive that way.
Thank you for supporting my point: lots of NO SERVICE in the "swaths" of metro areas precisely because none of them have put up enough towers for the very short range of the 5G spectrum (except for Dish's lower end spectrum that does travel farther, but those come with a compromise of somewhat slower speeds) to cover areas at least as reliable and contiguous as their 4G/LTE because it is IMPOSSIBLE for any of the carriers to do because there is a HUGE tower build BACKLOG that is not moving anywhere near fast enough. All the reports are about spotty and huge holes of 5G coverage. The maps of such a HUGE contiguous network are just not true. I think a reputable publication published a story on that, but I can't recall it, but thanks again for agreement and support.

They'll meet at least some, and the FCC will accept and extend because they aint no one else waiting in the wings and it will take TWICE as long to have a REQUIRED 4th wireless player up and running. Dish negotiated some of the suggested some of the requirements itself (a common practice all businesses when dealing with the FCC). The tower build backlog has been used and will be used by all the carriers (again) to get an extension if they need one, and the FCC will talk tough and perhaps load on a few extra requirements, but the FCC will oblige for all the carriers. The FCC knows Dish will get it done, but the FCC does not like the pace--which we all know is likely at the behest of the big 3 wireless companies who would love to see the Dish venture fail because there is no replacement for Dish, and it stays a big 3 ONLY landscape for at least a long time, just as they want. The situation is what it is. No cheer-leading for Dish wireless from me; just the cold, ugly reality of the situation.

Last edited:
Do you see getting Apple and Samsung onboard as impossible?
No, certainly not. But it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing, no? Not sure I see major cell phone brands bothering to support Dish-only bands unless and until Dish widely deploys them and Dish has a substantial number of customers using their brand(s) who would benefit. Not sure I can see Apple doing anything to their iPhone to broaden support for the relatively small low-end Boost brand as it currently exists.

Last edited:
Thank you for supporting my point: lots of NO SERVICE in the "swaths" of metro areas precisely because none of them have put up enough towers for the very short range of the 5G spectrum (except for Dish's lower end spectrum that does travel farther, but those come with a compromise of somewhat slower speeds) to cover areas at least as reliable and contiguous as their 4G/LTE because it is IMPOSSIBLE for any of the carriers to do because there is a HUGE tower build BACKLOG that is not moving anywhere near fast enough. All the reports are about spotty and huge holes of 5G coverage. The maps of such a HUGE contiguous network are just not true. I think a reputable publication published a story on that, but I can't recall it, but thanks again for agreement and support.
At least in the case of T-Mobile, they've also deployed a lot of low-range (600-700 MHz) 5G, so it wouldn't surprise me if that kind of 5G coverage is getting close to their 4G coverage. AT&T has also deployed some low-range 5G too, but not as much, I think. But low-range 5G isn't *that* much faster than 4G, although I think it may have other benefits, e.g. lower latency.

Mid-range is the sweet spot for 5G, which is why every other ad you see on TV lately is from Verizon touting their new "Ultra Wide Band 5G," which refers to all that mid-band 5G that they just lit up this month. AT&T is doing it too, although maybe not as aggressively yet as Verizon. Both are trying to play catch-up with T-Mobile, which has already lit up a bunch of mid-band 5G. You can see their coverage map here. If you zoom into a particular area, like a state-wide area, you can see where they have "5G Ultra Capacity" (i.e. mid-to-high range 5G) vs. "5G Extended Range" (i.e. low-range 5G) vs. 4G.

It's true that there's lots of land across the country that isn't yet reached by mid-band 5G. A lot of it never will be. But in terms of the land where lots of people actually live and work, yes, much of it is now covered by mid-band (and/or high-band) 5G. Which is why T-Mobile and Verizon are now both actively marketing 5G not just for cellular service but also home broadband service. Lots of home are eligible now thanks to all the radios they've deployed on towers across the US.

The current iPhone 13 already supports the frequencies Dish will operate on.
Specifically n29 (700mhz), n66 (AWS3) and n71 (600mhz) bands
I suspect the newest Samsung does as well.
Some of the bands Dish will use, such as n29, are also used by other carriers and therefore are currently supported by Apple (and probably Samsung). But the iPhone 13 does not support either n26 or n70, both of which are important bands that Dish plans to deploy. I don't think any other carrier will be using those frequencies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts