New Dish customer!

Character Zero

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I finally made the switch from cable to Dish. My local cableco wasn't getting enough HD channels and somehow they had a monopoly in my area. I found the TurboHD Silver pack to contain most of the channels I watch. The others I am able to fill in with Hulu. Turns out the package is going to be $13 less than my cable bill! Although I am keeping the phone and internet. So, of course, I have a few questions:

1) I think I can getting the 612 HD DVR for one TV. And I am getting the 222 Hd reciever for 1 HD and 1 SD Tv. I have an ethenet connection avaliable for the 612, but I do not have a phone or ethernet close for the 222. Is it correct to assume that DishComm could work in this setup, connecting the 222 to the ethernet of the 612 (given that the electrical system works out)?

2) If Dish adds HD channels, like FXHD, what package would they add that to? Would they add it to the base Broze package or to the Silver of Gold add-on packages?

I will probably be activating the USB port for external storage on the 612. And I hope the DVR interface is better than my horrible SARA interface on the SA8300HD. Anything a new subscriber should know before the installer comes. I am keeping my cable active until the Dish install is working.

I finally made the switch from cable to Dish. My local cableco wasn't getting enough HD channels and somehow they had a monopoly in my area. I found the TurboHD Silver pack to contain most of the channels I watch. The others I am able to fill in with Hulu. Turns out the package is going to be $13 less than my cable bill! Although I am keeping the phone and internet. So, of course, I have a few questions:

1) I think I can getting the 612 HD DVR for one TV. And I am getting the 222 Hd reciever for 1 HD and 1 SD Tv. I have an ethenet connection avaliable for the 612, but I do not have a phone or ethernet close for the 222. Is it correct to assume that DishComm could work in this setup, connecting the 222 to the ethernet of the 612 (given that the electrical system works out)?

2) If Dish adds HD channels, like FXHD, what package would they add that to? Would they add it to the base Broze package or to the Silver of Gold add-on packages?

I will probably be activating the USB port for external storage on the 612. And I hope the DVR interface is better than my horrible SARA interface on the SA8300HD. Anything a new subscriber should know before the installer comes. I am keeping my cable active until the Dish install is working.
My guess is your getting a 722 and a 211,
But maybe you'll get lucky and get a 612 and a 222.
Dishcomm , I don't know a whole lot about.
If you have FX SD in your base package now , you will get it in HD when it becomes available.

I think the 722 is the upgrade from the 622 right? It has more recording space so I assume I will get the one with the least recording space. Also I am getting just the single TV version.

I don't have a base SD package, only the TurboHd silver.

1The 612 does not have an additional tuner charge since it only outputs one signal at a time, the 222 does since it can operate two independent tv's. Dish comm should work but there are also other options, wireless dsl with home plug or the device that allows phone signal along your electric wires in your home using household plugs among other things should DishComm not work.
2. If you have the AT package with the channel, you will get the HD once it appears.

Only thing you should be aware of is your existing wiring should the need arise to use part or all of them and where you would like the dish mounted (if there are various places it would get a line of sight. Also, easy access to all the tv's in question would be helpful.

I believe how it works is this:

AT100->Bronze
AT200->Silver
AT250->Gold

So if an SD channel in AT100 gets the HD treatment, Bronze and up get it. In AT200, Silver gets it, and so on. I think FX is AT200, so you should be good.

I would personally rather have the 722/211. That way you get 2 DVR enabled TVs. Only issue is if TV2 is watched frequently live, as recording will tie up TV2.

With that setup, dishcomm is moot as single tuners do not need to dial out to avoid the fee. Ethernet is fine for a 612 or 722.

I think the 722 is the upgrade from the 622 right? It has more recording space so I assume I will get the one with the least recording space. Also I am getting just the single TV version.

I don't have a base SD package, only the TurboHd silver.
I could be wrong ,but I don't think new customers get 622's any more. When I ordered my 3 room 2 HD 1 SD system a 222 is considered an upgrade . So I got a 622 1 HD and 1 SD and a 211 that did one HD room.

I was using FX as an example but thats exactly the info i was asking for.

Ok the setup I have is I have 3 TVs that I want connected. One is the main HDTV that will have a DVR connected. The second HDTV is in the bedroom and doesn't really need DVR functionality and I want it to be in HD. The third is SD and is the guest room TV. So I just need the single Tuner HD-DVR and I am just taking what is offered without paying any extra. I can add my own space. And the bedroom TV is going to be just a HD receiever and its going to be dual tuner with the TV2 connected to the guest room. I really don't want to buy anything extra to get it a phone/ethernet connection. Thats why I was asking about DishComm. I want to avoid the $5 charge which seems cheap of me, but the guest room TV maybe gets watched 7 days out of a year. If I can't avoid the $5 charge with my current set up then I will forgo the 3rd Tv.

I will have everything set up for the box install. I will have HMDI, coax, optical, and ethenet wires in place for the HD-DVR box and Component for the HD box. Would there be any reason for the tech to get to the wall jack or anything?

If you want to avoid the 5 dollar charge then a 722 211 setup ,only requires 1 phone line hook up. A 612 and a 222 requires 2 because daul tuner receivers require 1 phone line for every daul tuner.
If you get a 612 and 222 ,I'll be shocked.

Maybe I can getting numbers confused but from the website it has the ViP612 as the HD-DVR reciever for 1 TV. It has the ViP222 as the reciever for 2 TVs. They said if I went with a 2 TV HD-DVR then it would cost more. I don't need the DVR on the SD TV. I have 2 HD Tvs and want 2 HD boxes. One DVR on the main TV and one regualr one on the secondary TV. The third TV is an added bonus provided I can avoid the $5 charge.

From what I understand the ViP recievers can use DishComm to share a phone line or ethernet connection. The 612 won't need the ethernet connection but thats where I have one. The 222 will need the connection so I want to share it from the 612 to the 222. I understand that with the 622 or 722 I can have the DVR on an SD TV, but I don't need that, its excessive for my set up. Its just a guest room TV that no one uses unless someone visits. It would just be nice for thier TV to work, hence the 222 reciever.

Edit : I had been going through the set up online (signing up for service) just to see what boxes I would get. I remeber one time it showing the 612 and the 222. Now it wants to give me the 722 and 211. I didn't want this since they were going to charge me $50 for the reciever. I know I get the $50 credit so it would be essentially free, but I don't really need the SD tv to have DVR. If I went with the 222 instead of the 211 and had it be the tuner for the 3rd TV I wouldn't get the $50 charge and could apply ther $50 credit to the first bill. I think this is what I ordered.

Last edited: