New Dish customers read these existing customer posts

$11/month increase!!

Hi, folks,

I signed up with a year commitment around August 05 with a 811 hd receiver and the HD package and Voom package. I wanted the DVR but wouldn't spend that kind of money. In the end, free install and discounted price for several months wasn't that bad a deal.

I called E and said I want to get EspnHD2. She said I need to pay for a $49 upgrade and an extra $11 a month to upgrade the HD package. Ok, I don't mind paying $49 to upgrade to the new 211, but why $11 extra a month??? I am already subscribing to the HD package and to the Voom package. Besides, I am watching Universal HD with my 811. So Worldsport HD, EspnHD 2 and what else is new?

Now, my other questions:
1. I read somebody saying their 300GB hard drive was in! I assume people with DVRs can increase storage with an external hd. I thought I saw a USB port on my 811, but I was wrong. It must have been on my cable box from back when I was subscribing to them.
2. HD Lite. A poster said that even cable companies have HD Lite. I thought cable didn't have to compress HD because they don't have bandwidth problems. The reason I am asking is because at the end of my agreement with E, I don't know what I'm gonna do. I just want to see the World Cup in HD.

Thanks,
George

htbum said:
Hi, folks,

I signed up with a year commitment around August 05 with a 811 hd receiver and the HD package and Voom package. I wanted the DVR but wouldn't spend that kind of money. In the end, free install and discounted price for several months wasn't that bad a deal.

I called E and said I want to get EspnHD2. She said I need to pay for a $49 upgrade and an extra $11 a month to upgrade the HD package. Ok, I don't mind paying $49 to upgrade to the new 211, but why $11 extra a month??? I am already subscribing to the HD package and to the Voom package. Besides, I am watching Universal HD with my 811. So Worldsport HD, EspnHD 2 and what else is new?

Now, my other questions:
1. I read somebody saying their 300GB hard drive was in! I assume people with DVRs can increase storage with an external hd. I thought I saw a USB port on my 811, but I was wrong. It must have been on my cable box from back when I was subscribing to them.
2. HD Lite. A poster said that even cable companies have HD Lite. I thought cable didn't have to compress HD because they don't have bandwidth problems. The reason I am asking is because at the end of my agreement with E, I don't know what I'm gonna do. I just want to see the World Cup in HD.

Thanks,
George

First, my Comcast hd picture is superb and as cystal clear as Voom used to be. It is not compressed and is as good as it gets. On the other hand, I would never show off the Dish hd picture to visitors.

If you have just the hd pak + voom 10 right now, and own your own hd receiver (mpeg 2), you are paying $9.95 (hd pak) + $5 (voom 10) + $5 access fee.

With the new hd pak + voom 15, and you own your own mpeg 4 receiver, you are paying $29.95 + $6 access fee.

So it is actually a $16 increase, not counting the cost to buy or rent the mpeg 4 receiver.

Shelly

Last edited:
I don't think its clear cut for either side.

Their are many factors involved in the decision. Some people are picture quality fanatics and watch tv 24/7 and complain over a 1 sec freeze over a 4 hour football game.

Their is the whole internet factor. Some people can only get hsi through their cable company and if they don't sub to cable tv, they add $15 a month.

I'm at the crossroads myself after seeing my cable bill. Its around $145 a month with internet/3 hdtv boxes/ digital cable. No premium channels.

I decided to order SBC dsl for 17.99 a month so that will save me $25 a month.

I'm not sure what to do with the tv service. Cost is a big factor for me. I am pondering switching to dish so I can save the $10-$15 month even though I'll lose HD locals. I'm not sure how they'll treat me though. Been an international SUB for 8 years and purchased all the equipment myself so not sure if I have to sign up a different family members name.

Every situation is unique so no point in dogging on other people for making a choice one way or the other.

mdonnelly said:
The fact is, Dish hasn't injured me, or 13 million other subs, to the point where they want to chuck the service.

True, not all 13 million subs have chucked the service. Many are locked into contracts, or don't like their other options, or maybe like me, spent $1000 on equipment and installation and really don't feel like it's a wise financial decision to drop Dish today. Not all "injured" subs can or will depart immediately... the impact from unhappy customers could take months to a year or more to see.

So instead, some of us prefer to try to influence E* future decisions in ways that would benefit us... including issues like the fake Mpeg4 headers (one you said you cared about). I am one paying E* customer who is not happy about some of the ways I have been treated recently... so I will speak up about it. If you are satisfied, you should continue to say so, and E* will know that there are customers who are happy with what they are doing.

kenny911 said:
Their are many factors involved in the decision. Some people are picture quality fanatics and watch tv 24/7 and complain over a 1 sec freeze over a 4 hour football game.

Thanks for the reply.

I am not worried about a 1-second freeze/tiling over a 4-hour football game. But the constant ?pixelation? is what concerns me. You see it on any provider if you get close enough to the screen (LCD front projector in my case). I do not know how to explain/call it, but it goes back and forth, constantly switching every half a second or so. That annoys me very badly. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Watch this random video I picked from google and look at the top right corner of the movie from the beginning to about 20 seconds into it, because it's a still portion of the movie.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8079411349144989883

That's what I am talking about even in HD channels. Now, for example, ESPNHD SportsCenter is worse about this issue on my E* than I remember it being on Time Warner Cable ESPNHD in Memphis, TN. You can see it especially on the anchors' black/greyish suites. ESPN Sunday night football is poorer in my opinion on E* than it was on cable.

Anyone knows what I am talking about? Have you had experiences between cable and sat, especially in the Memphis/Midsouth area? Comparisons?

Thanks,
George

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)