New DISH Hopper Won't Connect Over HDMI

NextGen_Gamer

Original poster
So yesterday DISH finally showed up (I scheduled the appointment back in mid-May) and hooked-up two Hopper's and two Joey's in my home. One Hopper is connected to my Sony HDTV and works just fine. The two Joey's both connect to the other Hopper, which is connected to a Samsung 32" 720p HDTV. Here is the problem: HDMI seemingly does not work with the Hopper connected to the Samsung.

The Samsung HDTV is model LN32B360C5XZA; it's a low-end 720p 32" LCD. The HDMI worked fine with the 722k receiver that was hooked-up to it previously. And the Hopper, weirdly enough, was working just fine over HDMI yesterday when DISH was here. The receiver auto-turned off during the night, and this morning suddenly refuses to work. Now, this is ONLY the HDMI that doesn't work. Both of the Joey's that connect to it are working completely fine, and if I plug-in the standard yellow video cable to the Hopper it displays just fine to the Samsung (but of course in 480i definition)

What would cause the HDMI to stop working? I have tried the following things so far: switching the HDMI ports (there are two total, and both have no problem working with a Vizio Blu-ray player); unplugging both the HDTV and Hopper; replacing the HDMI cable; updating the Samsung HDTV's firmware to the newest version; pressing the reset button on the Hopper.

Any suggestions or ideas? What more can I do?

When Dish came to do my initial install, my 56" Samsung DLP would not connect through HDMI either. We tried everything. Finally I hooked it up using composite and was able to get video. Then I changed the default to 720p, switched to HDMI and all was well. It seems to be a Samsung issue. Others have mentioned something similar. I don't know why it worked for you at first, but I would try this.

KRUZNBY said:
When Dish came to do my initial install, my 56" Samsung DLP would not connect through HDMI either. We tried everything. Finally I hooked it up using composite and was able to get video. Then I changed the default to 720p, switched to HDMI and all was well. It seems to be a Samsung issue. Others have mentioned something similar. I don't know why it worked for you at first, but I would try this.

Not bad advice given that most techs set the receiver resolution to 1080.

I've had similar happen while installing a new hopper. I had to install AV cables to see what I was doing, hook up the hdmi cable, then change the HD setting & change back & fourth until I found a format that the tv supported. It might be that your hopper simply changed to a format not supported by your tv.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

I agree. As a tech, I often set resolution to 1080 regardless of the TV. 99% of the time it doesn't matter. However in your case I would try adjusting resolution settings using your composite cables. If this doesn't fix it, try component cables. Last would be to replace the Hopper for a bad HDMI port. I've seen it happen with all of our receivers, but if I were you I'd bring a smaller TV into the room and test the HDMI port on the Hopper first.

I had a bad joey hdmi port. It worked for a week then quit. Then I only got a pic with av cables until i switched to 24g hdmi cable, even then i only fot a pixelated picture thru hdmi with the setting set to 480p. I spoke with dish advanced support or something like that and they sent a new joey. Hdmi works fine now ar 720p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)