New Dish install tomorrow 10/6 (advice?)

randym431

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 29, 2004
Will be getting dish tomorrow. They called and said someone canceled and could move the install date up to 10/6. I'd like to be ready for this.
I am getting the HD everything package, one 622 dvr and one 625 dvr.

Right now I have directv with two Dtivo's. Plus an HDtv OTA antenna hooked to my HD PC tuner card. The directv dish up there now, has four cables coming in, two for each dtivo (dual tuners). I dont know how the dish network is set up, but I'm thinking they can just use and swap the cables from the D* satellite dish for the dish net hookup and the OTA HD antenna can be split to run to the 622 OTA input.

If this is correct, then they should not have to run any wires and the install "should be" a snap. Or, am I missing something?

The 622 and 625 (dual sat tuners) do NOT need two sat feeds for each sat tuner? (ignoring OTA for the moment) It only uses one feed from the dish sat to the 622?

D* dual dtivo receivers have dual tuners and require two feeds from the D* dish to the box (one line per tuner).

So I'll actually have one rg6 line unused after the swap for the 622 (and the same for the 625)? Neet!

PS.. Just took a look at the pictures of the 622 back connections. it looks like there ARE two satellite connectors on the back of the 622. I dont understand it needing only one feed??? Are you sure? Why two satellite inputs then on the unit?

Last edited:
The intallation will use either a Dish1000 for sats. 110/119/129, or two dishes, a D500 for 110/119 and either a D300 or D500 for 61.5. Which system is used depends on your geographic location (which you didn't specify). In either case there will likely be a DishProPlus Twin LNBF used for the 110/119 sats., and another DishPro LNB (probably a dual) for the third sat. The Twin has a switch built into it, an input for the 3rd LNBF, and outputs for two receivers. In the case where they are DishPro receivers (like the ones you ordered) the single coax from the Twin can be fed into both tuner inputs using a "separator". This is a typical installation for two receivers and HD programming and greatly simplifies things. There are other, more complex means to do this, but for just 2 receivers this is the likely scenario...

EDIT: Note, both the ViP622 and the 625 are dual-tuner receivers; both have 2 sat. inputs...

Last edited:
randym431: Enjoy! You're gonna love it!

BTW, my installation uses the old "legacy" LNBFs (pre-spliter/diplexor technology), so 3 RG-6 cables are run to the 622 (1-OTA, 2-sat inputs). Works just fine.

---Doug

Well you're right. I do.
Just tuning into those voom HD channels after so long without was soooo nice.

I did not have but a few mins to play with the 622 since I had to run off to work, but I pressed record and got some error msg. It wouldnt record. No idea why as of yet.

Also, in order to get two dual tuner dvr's, like I had with D*, I told them I was installing for 4 rooms and wanted a 622 and 625, which I got. The guys that installed it figured I was only using the single mode with pip, so they did not leave me that TV2 remote. Just got two #1 remotes. Soon
I will want to run the 622 hdmi to the other room/tv someday and I will need that #2 remote. I would think the 622 or 625 would come with two remotes in case you want to do the dual mode.

Anyway, I called cs and they are sending me the #2 remotes. Just wonder why the installer did not leave them with me?

Anyone want to tell me why I could not record and got an error msg? Is there a setting I need to change?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts