New Dish Install

Tac

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 12, 2003
Erie, PA
I am having Dish installed on Wednesday of this week (hoping that the RSN's come back) due to the fact that I will save $40.00/month on my bill over 2 years. I have had Direct for about 10 years and even though I had discounts I want to save even more for at least 2 years. I realize that both providers have contract issues, but I can tell that At&t is hurting the satellite business.

My question is, will the Dish installer use the same wiring as the Direct install? This install of Direct was new as of 3 years ago.

Thanks!

I am having Dish installed on Wednesday of this week (hoping that the RSN's come back) due to the fact that I will save $40.00/month on my bill over 2 years. I have had Direct for about 10 years and even though I had discounts I want to save even more for at least 2 years. I realize that both providers have contract issues, but I can tell that At&t is hurting the satellite business.

My question is, will the Dish installer use the same wiring as the Direct install? This install of Direct was new as of 3 years ago.

Thanks!

If the wire is a good quality 3Ghz rated RG6 then they'll probably use it.

Thanks!
Mine reused some that he deemed suitable, but ran some new cable into the house, where they DirecTV cable had been run.

My Hopper 3 install, several years ago, the installer "toned" the lines to test them for capacity and reused the good ones, replaced the weak ones.

I presume each installer has such a device?

Likely yes, but the installer will determine that when he is there.

If the regional sports channels are important to you, I would seriously consider holding off your install till the dispute is resolved. Or at the very least, call dish and express your concerns and see if they will offer you anything to go forward with the install

Last time they pulled fox sports was 2011. It was off for 30 days.

Likely yes, but the installer will determine that when he is there.

If the regional sports channels are important to you, I would seriously consider holding off your install till the dispute is resolved. Or at the very least, call dish and express your concerns and see if they will offer you anything to go forward with the install

Last time they pulled fox sports was 2011. It was off for 30 days.

And given the RSNs weren't even (reportedly) asking for an increase, Dish may be drawing a big, fat line in the sand on channels that don't get broad viewership. This could take a while.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I just switched my neighbors over to dish from DTV and the one installer, a young guy, said he's never seen so much cable. The other installer was "Mr. Know It All" and he didn't. He screwed things up and I couldn't get them out of there fast enough so I could get things fixed. I got it all fixed and running great on the Direct cabling.

One thing though, I had them buy a sound bar like the one I got for my mother and mom's is amazing. Theirs was not so. I thought it was a bad bar. The second I fired up the H3 through their 4K . . . "OMG!!!" What a difference. The whole house shook. It was startling. But this told me that the audio out on the H3 is billion fold better than the 7 tuner DTV box.

The installers used all of the direct wiring and things are running great. Love the Hopper over the directv receivers.

Now just waiting for the ACCN and the RSNs hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I just switched my neighbors over to dish from DTV and the one installer, a young guy, said he's never seen so much cable. The other installer was "Mr. Know It All" and he didn't. He screwed things up and I couldn't get them out of there fast enough so I could get things fixed. I got it all fixed and running great on the Direct cabling.

One thing though, I had them buy a sound bar like the one I got for my mother and mom's is amazing. Theirs was not so. I thought it was a bad bar. The second I fired up the H3 through their 4K . . . "OMG!!!" What a difference. The whole house shook. It was startling. But this told me that the audio out on the H3 is billion fold better than the 7 tuner DTV box.
Most definitely. I have mine hooked to the Hopper, with enough slack to move it back to my TV when I'm using the Firestick (Which I wish had it's own optical output). Now, did you go into Audio settings and turn Volume Leveling off, leaving the Range to Narrow?? That's how Polk recommends it be set and it's seemingly a profound difference in clarity

Reactions: charlesrshell
And given the RSNs weren't even (reportedly) asking for an increase, Dish may be drawing a big, fat line in the sand on channels that don't get broad viewership. This could take a while.

It’s coming up that.

I think it’s a calculated move on the part of Dish.

First of all consider that half of all the customers are on AT120. Then figure all the customers who have AT200 or AT250 and actually watch the channels.

Then you have the percentage of customers who may watch the RSN, but don’t care it’s missing vs the customers who will actually cancel.

When the Viacom channels first went down about 15 years or so ago, it was so bad with the customer complaints, the channels came back 3 days later.

When OLN, Lifetime and AMC went down, the stations where down for over a month.

If customers don’t seem to care, the channel will stay down longer till they can negotiate a better deal.

I think the RSN’s May come down for good this time. Dish has already done it with HBO, and they have been hinting towards dropping RSN’s for years.

Unfortunately Directv does not have the luxury to drop any sports, as their whole business model has been built around providing the most sports programming.

The biggest impact with Dish will be their commercial customers. But then I don’t know vary many sports bars that are dumb enough to get Dish Installed in the first place

Reactions: ncted
It’s coming up that.

I think it’s a calculated move on the part of Dish.

First of all consider that half of all the customers are on AT120. Then figure all the customers who have AT200 or AT250 and actually watch the channels.

Then you have the percentage of customers who may watch the RSN, but don’t care it’s missing vs the customers who will actually cancel.

When the Viacom channels first went down about 15 years or so ago, it was so bad with the customer complaints, the channels came back 3 days later.

When OLN, Lifetime and AMC went down, the stations where down for over a month.

If customers don’t seem to care, the channel will stay down longer till they can negotiate a better deal.

I think the RSN’s May come down for good this time. Dish has already done it with HBO, and they have been hinting towards dropping RSN’s for years.

Unfortunately Directv does not have the luxury to drop any sports, as their whole business model has been built around providing the most sports programming.

The biggest impact with Dish will be their commercial customers. But then I don’t know vary many sports bars that are dumb enough to get Dish Installed in the first place

The one I go to on a regular basis for trivia night has both. Most TV have DirecTV, but the really big screen behind the bar has Dish with multiple games on the one screen.

And I avoid places with the TV on, especially sports.

But that’s just my wife and I

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Probably as a backup.

I have several bars that keep basic cable just in case the Directv goes down.

No Tv, people start to leave

Probably good to have both. You'd think they'd switch everything over to Dish when DirecTV goes out due to weather and vice versa, but no, they just wait it out with either the big screen or everything else showing error messages, usually the latter due to the way weather rolls through from the west.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)