New Dish Network customer question

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
I'm sneaking in here from the Directv forum to ask a few questions for my brother, who is about to get Dish. He moved into my house which is wired up with one coax to each TV that goes to a central location (had a single wire setup with Directv when I moved out). He is planning on getting the HD DVR that works with two TVs. So, my questions:

Can the HD DVR work with one coax run from the dish to the DVR? Can it be split (like DirecTV SWM or cable) if he decides to add additional receivers in the future? (there is only one coax run to the dish location, so we're looking to keep it as simple as possible) Or, does it need multiple lines to a switch and then one line from the switch to the DVR?

Can the TV2 agile output be diplexed back down the same cable that comes to the DVR?

What's the standard satellite locations now? I've heard about eastern arc, etc. He's in the Birmingham, AL market. The problem is he only really has LOS for 99-119 (DirecTV 5LNB system gets 100% signal strength across all satellites). I don't think he could get 61.5 or anything that far off from the 110/119 range.

One cable for each receiver is all that is needed for all of the newer receivers, but a separate cable is required from the LNB assembly or external switch to each receiver.

Yes, the TV2 output can be backfed with a diplexer.

Birmingham is an eastern arc DMA. That's 61.5, 72.7, and 77. The locals are on both arcs so if there is no EA LOS then he'll likely get a western arc install (110, 119, 129) or some combination of the two that works.

awesome, thanks :) is the backfeeding with a diplexer setup a pretty standard thing promoted by dish that the installer will try first, or will we have to talk him into it (and out of trying to run a second coax from the DVR)?

awesome, thanks :) is the backfeeding with a diplexer setup a pretty standard thing promoted by dish that the installer will try first, or will we have to talk him into it (and out of trying to run a second coax from the DVR)?

Backfeeding is the usual method in most cases, but just tell the installer specifically what you want when he/she arrives. Most will do exactly what you want if it's a reasonable request.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)