New Dish Network DVR 510 Promotion

I would hop on a $99 deal on the 522 with name based recording in a heartbeat and would not likely consider switching to D* for a long time if ever. This would beat the D*Tivo deal because of the larger hard drive and independent output capability. E* also should make the DVOD fee per account. 2 x 522's with only 1 DVR fee feeding my 3 x TV's would be sweet indeed. ;)

The second tv output would be a biggie for me, I jus wish both tuners would be UHF. I think its also a great idea to have a 200 foot range for the UHF remote.

If the whole point of the DVR fee is to recoup their initial subsidy of the box then why not sell them for $99.00 with a two year commitment and $4.98 fee which ends at the end of the commitment? They would still end up with a huge installed base of DVR customers and they would only end up eating about $100 each (based on approximate "real" cost to produce) at the end of the two years. And everyone would be happy! :D

Because Dish is lieing to us. :no The real reason is the bottom line: they wan't more money and they feel this is the way to do it. :yes I will never buy a DVR from them that charges me a fee & I will not sub to their crappy SD programming to get the DVR for "free" either. :mad:

Jesus christ, bitch about everything. I'd understand if Dish's SD programming was much worse than it is, but it's one of the best. What the hell are you complaining about if you can't go out there and do much/any better?

How is dish lying to you? The VOD does help subsidize the product, it also helps them make more of a profit. What's wrong with that? If it didn't help subsidize the equipment then Dish would have left the 510 at $200-300. I believe they should probably offer a "life-time" subscription, but wanting them to only charge the VOD fee for a minimal time isn't realistic. They're not a bank.

I understand expressing your opinion about unfair or poor quality, but some of you take it too far. Don't bitch for the sake of bitching.

I'm not complaining - I just bought a 508 (which I love!) so the point is moot for me. It does seem that the fee should add value to the device though. If they added valuable functionality to my 508 I would gladly pay the fee (I should bite my tongue now!). The biggest gripe IMHO is that the fee seems to be arbitrary and this latest "rumor" of possibly eliminating it as a promotion just fuels the fire.

Do I wish my 508 were a Tivo? Well maybe. Am I happy with it the way it is now? You betcha! Would I like it to do more? Sure, but not at the expense of introducing new bugs. I just hope Dish takes their time with name based recording and really gets it right before rolling it out.

Depends on your idea of value, they did add 40 extra hours to the 510, and they made it available for $0-$99. Seems like you're getting a bit of value there for the $5 VOD fee.

I'm not going to bitch. I'm letting my wallet speak by planning a move to DirecTV. I feel that Dish Network's PVR had a market advantage in that it provided some basic functionality and had no additional charges associated with it's use. When compared with the DirecTivo that has advanced features and has additional charges, for people like myself who didn't NEED such advanced features, I was happy to sit with what Dish was providing.

With Dish determined to charge addtional fees for using a feature set that is substandard to one offered by the competitor, when it came time for me to add a DVR device.. I had to take a hard look at DirecTV.

Now I could spend a couple hundred dollars and get a reman 508 and avoid the fee still. But the 508 plus my existing 501 won't really give me what I can get from DirecTV, as a new customer, for under $200.

Thus I don't need to gripe. One of the benefits of a market that has competition.

Its worth the $5 if you have to swap the box out every 3 or 4 years to a new one with more storage, features, and functionality, if they give you a subsidized deal again.

It was probably adressed in this thread, but I couldn't find it.
does anyone know if you can purchase(or allowed to purchase) 2 or 3 of these
of these @the $99 special?

You should just give Dish a call and see what they can do for you. Usually the $99 deal for Dish receivers has been just one. But they also seem to have a swap out deal sometimes where they will swap out older receivers as well. So you might get a combination of deals.

DirecTV Tivo receivers are for sale at the $99 price point at Best Buy. So I guess you can buy as many as you want.

Any word on this promotion and the DVR fee credit?

Dish1Up pissed me off and with the rumblings from Rupert I find it's not worth my time to switch if DirecTV is going to screw up their Tivo units.

I need another DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts