New DISH Network Mosaic

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Ideas I have: Weather Channel maps in several screens (one for temps, surface maps, radars, severe weather, forecast, etc). Perhaps one channel national, one channel regional, another one indicating all the weather warnings up to date with specifics. A National Weather Service channel or interactive Dish Home application would be GREAT! Maybe they could implement one channel with several markets in boxes on each of them to save a bit of bandwidth and zoom in to each smaller box to make it big (making it compressed).

Received on my 522 a couple of days ago

I think this is one of those ideas that sounds really good, but has very little practical value. I'm not sure it was that great during the last presidential election. I didn't use it then.

I'm not sure why they chose the channels that they did. As far as I know they're not the 6 highest rated "cable" channels.

I know someone earlier was joking about this, but I actually think it would have more practical use if it had 6 shopping channels. If you were into that, you could compare offerings on the channels. As much as people joke about it, someone is watching those channels.

The best (for me at least) would be 6 sports channels, but I don't think that's practical because of all the different Fox Sports Channels.

To me the best thing would be the idea that was discussed during the last Technical Chat: the ability to do split screen rather than PIP on a two tuner box (such as the 522).

Well of course it's not practical. They could just get rid of the shopping channels, add other channels that people are actually interested in, and call it a day. Instead, they'll spread their money out to a bunch of different things bound to flop (mosiac, dish on demand, portable DVR, Suckfreetv) instead of offering more television channels.

I sometimes wonder if they forget they are a satellite TELEVISION service. They're not a gaming service, they're not a mall, they're not a best buy showfloor, their sole job is to bring me television channels of various interests, from around the world. Last I checked, people work out (oxygen, fit tv or whatever it's called), last time I checked, Football was quite popular (NFL network, CSTV), last time I checked the USA was a melting pot (additional dishes, and outrageous prices, for foreign channels, how about some japanese stuff?), etc...

Oh, and last time I checked, people liked their home electronics to be reliable...

Since BITV is in free preview I've been checking it out every once in a while. So far I havn't been able to watch it for more than a couple of minutes before getting bored. I guess if I was into the stock market it would be different.

I'm suprised Fox News didn't make the MUX.

JL

Doesn't Direct TV have something similar? I happened to go to the CES in Las Vegas and I thought they were touting their system.

Again, I think this ends up being more of a marketing ploy than anything else. It looks good to the potential customer, looks good in a store selling Dish, really does nothing for you and me.

That being said, I have no problem with them doing it, and can understand their motivation. However, even if it had my five favorite stations playing, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be going there to make my viewing decision...

E* had it first for Olympic coverage last year. A fairly good use as you could see what was on each channel that was potentially playing Olympic material (except your local NBC).

Then they revived the channel for election coverage. Another fairly good use as it allowed you to see the major news channel and if there was something catching your attention you could go there quickly.

At CES D* introduced their many mosaic channels and E* showed their news mosaic in a presentation announcing it would be coming later in the year. Each of the mosaic channels does cost slightly more than one channel of bandwidth. D* felt they had the space. E* apparently didn't.

Around April the news mosaic quietly turned into the new dish home mosaic and it has taken E* the past 4-5 months to get it working and ready for release.

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts