New Dish Network Pricing

Shopping channels pay to be carried. Your bill would go up to drop them.

While providers love to blame high priced channels for the cost of service, I believe in reality the cost of the channels is around 25% of the price charged for the service. The distribution system is where the real cost is... Having to build/launch satellites, providing receivers, installing dishes, etc. On the cable side of course you have to lay all that cable to every house.

I don't like ESPN and shouldn't have to pay for it. Those who want that content should have to pay. Bad job by E* for not having it in a separate tier.

Keep in mind it's the broadcasters and not E* that bundles channels and keeps E* from offering all channels Ala carte. Charlie has said many times that if it were up to him all channels would be offered Alla carte so you would only pay for the channels that you want.

It's also possible Dish could throw us the proverbial curve ball.

$10 for entry level HD. Voom ONLY!
$15 to add HD only channels like HDNet, HDNet Movies and HD Theater.
$20 for the HD counterparts to the SD channels we already pay for.

They may include things like FoodHD to the $15 package where the programming is different than the SD version.

We can yak, yak, yak here about this and that but whatever will be will be. The future's not ours to see. Que sera sera. Unless Charlie's personal therapist chimes in.

Speculation, contemplation, variation, screwing all our nation. It's the new Ball of Confusion.

I don't really know anything but it's possible Charlie goes this route.

I'd say we will see the prices go up around $10 over the next 5 years. If it went up $20 in 5 years there would not be many satellite customers left as they would go back to cable and their bundling deals.

Not necessarily. Cable is crap. Period. Tried it for a week with the "bundling" deal. Switched back. Quality was horrible, internet was out or slower than dial-up 80% of the time, didn't even have the service long enough to mess with the phone. Don't get me started on the HORRID DVR they had. Oh yea, and don't forget that after a year when the service goes full price, the internet is $45, the cable almost $60 for BASIC cable.

I'll stick with my Dish Network and Verizon internet. I will NEVER EVER switch back to Mediacom AGAIN!

How about this:
$10 - Voom with 960x1080i @ 2Mbps mpeg4
$20 - Add the rest of the HDs with 1280x1080i @ 4Mbps mpeg4
$40 - Stand Alone HD Pack -EVERY HD channels with 1920X1080i @ 8Mbps mpeg4

I'd never go to the cable company here as long as they keep their current lineup. They only have 20 some channels and one HBO channel that can be purchased as a premium. It's all analog. No high speed internet available in the area. I am surprised that the cable company still does business here with everyone having satellite service.

Not necessarily. Cable is crap. Period. Tried it for a week with the "bundling" deal. Switched back. Quality was horrible, internet was out or slower than dial-up 80% of the time, didn't even have the service long enough to mess with the phone. Don't get me started on the HORRID DVR they had. Oh yea, and don't forget that after a year when the service goes full price, the internet is $45, the cable almost $60 for BASIC cable.

I'll stick with my Dish Network and Verizon internet. I will NEVER EVER switch back to Mediacom AGAIN!

If your cable internet is slower than dial up you have a serious problem!!! There is no way in hell that is possible! We have Mediacom here in IL and the cable internet rocks, getting 7.7Mbps on an 8Mbps service with almost no downtime. Also, have their VOIP service. Now, their TV service, that is a different story, have to agree on that.

Scott,

Isn't AT100+ only $5 more than AT100?

If the last column is Dish DVR Advantage, doesn't it exist for AT100+?

Scott,

Isn't AT100+ only $5 more than AT100?

If the last column is Dish DVR Advantage, doesn't it exist for AT100+?

I would personally like to see this.

$10 - HD counterparts to SD channels
$15 - HD extra like HD Net, Universal, Disc Theater, NHL, NBA - Need above package to order
$5 - Voom channels - Can be ordered with the above packages or independently. Perhaps the enabling fee would be required if ind.

This way I dont have to feed the Voom pig :). Voom lovers are now happy because you can enjoy voom exclusively.

$15 - HD extra like HD Net, Universal, Disc Theater, NHL, NBA - Need above package to order
$5 - Voom channels - Can be ordered with the above packages or independently. Perhaps the enabling fee would be required if ind.

This way I dont have to feed the Voom pig :). Voom lovers are now happy because you can enjoy voom exclusively.

very similar to what I think they should do:

$10 HD Base Package- HD counterparts to subscribed SD Channels
$5 HD Premier Pack- HD only channels (minus Voom) - need base package to subscribe.
$5 HD Voom Pack- Voom channels - need base package to subscribe (but not premier pack).

If your cable internet is slower than dial up you have a serious problem!!! There is no way in hell that is possible! We have Mediacom here in IL and the cable internet rocks, getting 7.7Mbps on an 8Mbps service with almost no downtime. Also, have their VOIP service. Now, their TV service, that is a different story, have to agree on that.

You never know... I might have had a problem. But I found it didn't work (could have been the modem, not sure.) But that's ok. I don't mind Verizon DSL.

how about

$0 - HD counterparts to SD channels.

I think it's lame that HD still has a premium. HD sets are probably starting to outnumber SD sets after this christmas so it shouldn't be considered a luxury to have a HD set.

Charlie E. - i'm not giving you $120 for a year of HD for the channels I already get in SD. Until you come to your senses and remove the premium, I'm not paying a premium and thus I'm also not upgrading to HD receivers. my HD will come from off-air and large dish and not from DISH Network in 2008.

Is it just me, or have the tiers, at least in regard to HD, been re-structured each of the last two or three years?

Is this what we can expect from E* from now on? So, every time they add 5 more HD channels, they'll restructure the packages to eek out the extra dinero?

If that's the case... just give me an option to choose an HD channels only package. Once they add SciFiHD and USAHD, I'd be content with a "fairly" priced HD package and my OTA's. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of figuring out how much extra I'm paying each time they add new channels and change their packages. Math was never my best subject :mad:

EDIT: I guess I'm an advocate of ala carte programming, even though I understand how futile that is...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)