New Dish Network Receivers Coming in 2009? How wil Dish Network Handle NTSC turnoff?

You know; when I posted that comment about the ATSC modulator; I completely forgot about the fact that this would be a "free and clear" delivery... You could then use that for an HD TV tuner card and get DRM free copying.

I soooo don't see that happening.

Cheers,

Last edited:
An attenuator lowers the signal strength so that it cannot be "broadcast" outside of your home. You should have received one with your 622. Perhaps the installer didn't install it.

I know what one is I just did not realize I was supposed to have one.

Why can't Dish make an HDMI and Component output for TV2 just as they do for TV1? It would be a lot nicer than the composite output I have to live with now.

Encryption isn't part of the 8VSB spec for ATSC spec. What you're thinking of are the so called "broadcast flags" which I believe the FCC has stricken down.

HDCP is for DVI and HDMI not for ATSC.

Cheers,
You're correct, I was thinking of the broadcast flags; but had thought they were part of the HDCP system.

I believe broadcast flags can be passed over a variety of connections, DVI and HDMI certainly included. It also works over component, S-Video, and so on (I think).

The...

broadcast flag is intended for digital transmissions only - it is only passed over the so-called "HD" outputs (i.e. component, DVI or HDMI) of a tuner. The BF was what the Analog Copy Protection Working Group was attempting to push in order to close the so-called "analog hole". That is why it works on component transmissions, which can carry a 480p (i.e. "digital TV") signal, but not the S-video or composite outputs.

Don't count on it. How do you know that the industry will continue to provide hardware to support nonexistant transmissions? No tuner has supported UHF OTA NTSC channel 72 for years.

That is because 69 has been the top channel for years. There is no broadcasts above that channel and in 2009 you can count on one hand the ones left above 60

51 is break over point

In 2009 there will be NO channels above 52.

52 to 69 are the channels that are to be reassigned. So there will be no TV channels above 51. The following is extracted from the FCC document on final assignment of digital television channels (document number 275789AT).

Stations chose a channel for post-transition operation within the new core spectrum for
TV broadcast channels (channels 2 through 51). The remaining channels (52-69) will be
reclaimed for public safety and advanced wireless services

They just need some sort of widget that converts Component or HDMI to coax and then back again.

It could even be proprietary.

I guess I don't see why they didn't do this already. It'd cost more but it would solve the TV2 problem.

They just need some sort of widget that converts Component or HDMI to coax and then back again.

I guess I don't see why they didn't do this already. It'd cost more but it would solve the TV2 problem.

How about Component to Cat5 instead? If so, then get ye to Gefen for their component video extender. It can also carry audio with the CV + Audio extender.

They ain't cheap but they will do the job.

Cheers,

If they could get the price down then sure.

I think the big issue is it has to be cost effective and easy to install for the installers without adding any more specialized tools. Putting in CAT5 may be the future anyway, as we get into this DishOnline/VOD situation.

It isn't that Dish has no secure transport. It's just a matter of cost or an unwillingness to pursue. Component is still insecure and they support that.. :)

I'm sure there'd be some legal questions about doing that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts