New Dish owner needs help understanding channels

str1der

Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Northern Ky.
Ok I'm new to dish. Right now I'm working on my 622 VIP. I trying to use a favorites list to get rid of all the garbage in the guide. Can someone explain to me why there are multiple versions of the same channels. I'm not talking the standard and the HD. I'm talking about all the crapp that's repeated up in the 5 thousands and the 9 thousands. What are these channels for?

Another quicky. Is there no way to change the terrible colors that the guide uses?

Ok I'm new to dish. Right now I'm working on my 622 VIP. I trying to use a favorites list to get rid of all the garbage in the guide. Can someone explain to me why there are multiple versions of the same channels. I'm not talking the standard and the HD. I'm talking about all the crapp that's repeated up in the 5 thousands and the 9 thousands. What are these channels for?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/186450-difference-hd-mirror-channels.html#post1943730
Another quicky. Is there no way to change the terrible colors that the guide uses?

No.

the 5000's and 9000's channels are the actual channels. Dish maps down the real channel to the lowered numbered ones for ease of grouping and whatnot.

You can lock your system, hide locked channels and lock those 'crap' channels if you like. Then you won't have to ever see them, regardless of your favorites. Same goes with searches.

Go to Menu - 5 - 2 to lock the channels you don't ever want to see. I have about 75% of the channels that show up in the list 'locked-out'. You have to remember to lock your system and hide locked channels as well. And repeat all that for TV2 if you want it the same on that output.

You could change the colors by using a black and white TV. :)

The guide colors change with each favorites menu for the channel currently highlighted, other than that the blue and white background stays the same. The first favorites list is gold, the second green and then i don't know.

The new 922 will have a new guide color scheme, I believe.

On locking channels for the more advanced: If you have recorded channels and lock some of those out, you will have to enter the pass code every time you access each one. I had old recordings in the 94xx group (prior to the map down mirroring) and then switched to the low (and better organized) numbers, it was such a pain that I do not lock any because some of those program have never been shown again and I want to be able to read the descriptions without a fuss.

Question: is the default to lock new channels as they come on-line if you have locks enabled?
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)