New DISH Products At CES 2012

Ken McPherson said:
Wow. So I guess all the glowing comments about 3d from everyone on this forum who actually has 3d (including Scott) are delusional?

If what you say is true, why is every manufacturer out there is expanding their 3d line? Why have none dropped their 3d lines? Why are new 3d projects being announced everyday? Why have the 3d forums at AVS exploded with activity over the past year?

If 3d is proving to be just a gimmick, there should be less 3d products at CES this year, right?? And if there ARE an increased number of new 3d products announced at CES, what will that mean to your theory?

Based on what I have read on this forum 3D still has a way to go to really become main stream. You must wear special glasses that are very expensive. I gather they aren't the most comfortable over the long term. I have yet to see any programming in 3D. So that just leaves us with bluray 3D. How many movies are produced in 3D? Does production span all genres? Seems to me 3D is a pretty big investment for the average consumer at this point, one that may not fit into the budget in this economy.
However once 3D content is widely available on cable and sat systems as well as ota maybe it will become truley main stream.
As far as the influx of. 3D equipment into the market I think it is just a marketing ploy to get folks to spend money. Again I ask how much content is available in 3D on Sat, Cable, and OTA?
Just my opinion.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

HD is not really main stream yet. There are tons of folks who won't pay extra, don't have a cc or just plain don't care.

Sad part is when they announced it they showed it off on a 922 whichhas me stumped of why its not on the 922 yet!
Are you referring to the press conference broadcast on 101? IIRC they selected a movie and nothing happened! They cut away before it had a chance to embarrass Dish further.

Wow. So I guess all the glowing comments about 3d from everyone on this forum who actually has 3d (including Scott) are delusional?

If what you say is true, why is every manufacturer out there is expanding their 3d line? Why have none dropped their 3d lines? Why are new 3d projects being announced everyday? Why have the 3d forums at AVS exploded with activity over the past year?

If 3d is proving to be just a gimmick, there should be less 3d products at CES this year, right?? And if there ARE an increased number of new 3d products announced at CES, what will that mean to your theory?
Are 3D Movies Dying A Slow Death? | Fox NewsWant to buy your own glasses so you can watch it in the movie theater? Sony to Stop Paying for 3D Glasses in May 2012 (Exclusive) - The Hollywood ReporterThere are as many saying it is overused and badly done as are saying it is great. 3D Films: On The Decline, Or Stronger Than Ever?Who Killed 3D? Four theories on the death of 3-D. - Slate MagazineA lot of what it comes back to again is the greed of the Movie Studios. Also have a friend that is in the process of perfecting holographic technology. Now that has the WOW factor that Avatar had. It won't be something that will be in your living room soon but he has working prototypes for live stage performers doing shows. And to think he used to be the limo driver for a band that I did sound for a few years ago. :cool:
BTW I knew I was a little off topic with the post but for those that are going to CES wanted to give them a hint of what will be debuted there. I've been hearing about the development of 4k now for a couple of years. No they won't be taking it out of a Dish DVR.

Last edited:
I Just read an article blaming 3D on the lack of theater goers in 2011 in USA Today, (no proof but he mentions it in the byline) I think 3D will be in force again at this years CES, I still do not understand all the hate against ...

It's the glasses that most people detest with all the hatred. The other reason for people hating the 3-D movies is the PRICE. Who wants to pay $3.00 - $4.00 more PER TICKET to watch a movie with dark glasses on? At home we have a new 3-D tv but the glasses hurt your ears and strain your eyes after time. We watched one 3-D movie so far and it has been Capt. America on DISH pay per view. It was very good ,but there have been No more 3-D pay per views on my receiver since November. As for 3-d blu-rays , way too high in price and no real selection . I don't even buy regular blu-rays due to PRICE. So physical discomfort of the glasses and physical discomfort of the PRICE are the to main factors in all the hatred of 3-D movies.

I agree Scott. I have 2 3D TVs now (didn't buy either because they were 3D, they just happened to be the best deal/quality for what I wanted for those locations). However, I have zero 3D glasses in the house. I borrowed some and watched a little when I first got it, but decided it wasn't worth the extra $150 to get a couple pairs of my own. I don't care for it.

James Cameron did an interview a while back and explained that good 3d takes a huge amount of resources to produce (suggesting that most producers don't have what it takes). Then he went on to describe how you can't lay on your couch watching since the viewing angles are critical. He didn't seem to think it would be a great success for the tv market.

Ad I agree with him, while I enjoyed Avatar in 3D in the theater I found it painful to watch at home in 3D. Normally I like watching stuff in my home theater more but 3D does not do it for me, that is something still better in a real theater.

Absolutely, the glasses are killing it. I've watched 3D on a friends TV and there is no way I would have a set and use the glasses. It's possible that if they can get the glassesless sets out I might be interested. Mostly though it's not worth the money or the pain it gives. I got a headache when I watched my friend's TV.

I agree with the other post.

Dish should ONLY show things that are completed and in final Beta testing with firm release dates sometime in the next 3 months.
I am tired of announcements that don't release for sale to the public until One year later or are not as advertised at CES.
also known as Vaporware.

I would say about 65% if not more of the stuff shown at CES last year was never released. It's not just a DISH issue... and is probably why DIRECTV does not do CES anymore, how many years did it take to get that new DIRECTIVO out the door anyways?

Much of what is shown at CES is always cutting edge tech that will never ever see the light of day. It is much like concept cars that are shown at auto shows. It is to show off what we are working on not necessarily what will ever come to market. They do this to see what interest shows up in each of the products to see if they want to continue development or not.

All of the TV makers jumped on the 3D bandwagon because of how successful Avatar was in 3D and while I agree that Avatar was a great 3D movie, most (if not all) people forget to mention that some of the theatres only offered Avatar in 3D ONLY. I can tell you for a fact that the movie theatre I went to (It was an AMC theatre) didn't even offer Avatar in 2D, just 3D ONLY. And yes, while most people probaly would have went to see it in 3D anyway, I'm sure some of the more budget-conscious consumer would have rather seen it in 2D if it was available (rather than paying the extra $3-5 per ticket just to see it in 3D.) Again, I'm not saying that it wasn't worth the extra money to Avatar in 3D (I thought it was), but Avatar's success financially has been inflated due to the fact that Avatar wasn't available in 2D everywhere. If it was, Avatar probably wouldn't have made $1 Billion in the theatres, the 3D sales would have been lower, and we probably wouldn't be seeing 3DTVs on the market today. Oh, and the manufacturers probably wouldn't have wasted their time and money marketing 3D and making 3DTVs in the first place.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)