New DISH Products At CES 2012

I hope they announce a way to record programs from my DVR/Sling to the iPad (not just streaming) the way you used to be able to with an Archos.

Based on what I have read on this forum 3D still has a way to go to really become main stream. You must wear special glasses that are very expensive. I gather they aren't the most comfortable over the long term. I have yet to see any programming in 3D. So that just leaves us with bluray 3D. How many movies are produced in 3D? Does production span all genres? Seems to me 3D is a pretty big investment for the average consumer at this point, one that may not fit into the budget in this economy.
However once 3D content is widely available on cable and sat systems as well as ota maybe it will become truley main stream.
As far as the influx of. 3D equipment into the market I think it is just a marketing ploy to get folks to spend money. Again I ask how much content is available in 3D on Sat, Cable, and OTA?
Just my opinion.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

If you buy the right model like LG's passive 3DTVs you do not need to spend hundreds on glasses. In fact there are many models that come with four pairs of them. If happen to need to purchase an extra pair they are about $25. As for the content you are correct with most of it being on BluRay but there are hundreds of movies that are available in 3D. Almost every movie that comes out now is released in 3D. There is a website that shows all the movies available in 3D and I think you'd be surprised. Now price on the other hand for these movies is not very cheap.

What's getting 3D into people's homes are the bundled deals around the holidays. I bet the percentage of people with 3D capable TVs went up big time after Christmas this year and will continue to rise until the Super Bowl is over. We sold a lot of the LG 3D LED TVs that came bundled with four pairs of glasses and a 3D BluRay player. I never sold a 3DTV until this holiday season. As soon as 3DTVs have a larger market share you will start seeing more providers carrying 3D channels. I don't know if it will stay popular for years to come or just for the next 5 years but the popularity is increasing. Just wait until new models role out this spring, I bet you see manufacturers making a lot more of 3D capable models.

If you buy the right model like LG's passive 3DTVs you do not need to spend hundreds on glasses. In fact there are many models that come with four pairs of them. If happen to need to purchase an extra pair they are about $25. As for the content you are correct with most of it being on BluRay but there are hundreds of movies that are available in 3D. Almost every movie that comes out now is released in 3D. There is a website that shows all the movies available in 3D and I think you'd be surprised. Now price on the other hand for these movies is not very cheap.

What's getting 3D into people's homes are the bundled deals around the holidays. I bet the percentage of people with 3D capable TVs went up big time after Christmas this year and will continue to rise until the Super Bowl is over. We sold a lot of the LG 3D LED TVs that came bundled with four pairs of glasses and a 3D BluRay player. I never sold a 3DTV until this holiday season. As soon as 3DTVs have a larger market share you will start seeing more providers carrying 3D channels. I don't know if it will stay popular for years to come or just for the next 5 years but the popularity is increasing. Just wait until new models role out this spring, I bet you see manufacturers making a lot more of 3D capable models.
Let's see now are people buying them because they are 3D sets or just getting a new set. Most of the new sets are 3D capable, and they are streaming capable. So how can you figure why they are buying it. May be no more than getting a new set. We've tossed it around here and as I've pointed out as weall as others there are as many saying that 2012 is going to be the death of 3D unless they come out w/ the glassesless sets.

Let's see now are people buying them because they are 3D sets or just getting a new set. Most of the new sets are 3D capable, and they are streaming capable. So how can you figure why they are buying it. May be no more than getting a new set. We've tossed it around here and as I've pointed out as weall as others there are as many saying that 2012 is going to be the death of 3D unless they come out w/ the glassesless sets.

Here's a list of 3D movies in the theaters and in the pipe, not to mention the DVD market.
Search for Movies - New Movies - All Movies - Fandango.com

The 3DTVs I've been selling are because they want the 3D. I noticed a lot more interest in them this holiday season than any other time. I will admit that some TVs that people are buying just happen to have the capability but I'm mostly talking about the customers that want the feature.

The 3DTVs I've been selling are because they want the 3D. I noticed a lot more interest in them this holiday season than any other time. I will admit that some TVs that people are buying just happen to have the capability but I'm mostly talking about the customers that want the feature.
Apparently the makers and investors of 3D entertainment see something also.

356B said:
Apparently the makers and investors of 3D entertainment see something also.

It's because it does not really cost them more to enable 3D in new sets they sell. The big expense is the glasses which they sell seperately anyways.

It's because it does not really cost them more to enable 3D in new sets they sell. The big expense is the glasses which they sell seperately anyways.

My oldest son works in the studios in LA, his story is they don't do anything that is not expected to make money. Profit is the game, so again, somebody is buying this stuff or they, (the studios and the equipment manufactures) would not be messing with it. Yea I know 3D will be gone it a year of two......I wouldn't bet the house on it.
As anything the glasses will get cheaper or not be needed in future generations; Hell I can remember a "VTR" (video tape recorder) was selling for a 1000 bucks, tapes were 50 bucks. Within a couple of years the "VCR" (video cassette recorder) was under 500 dollars.
HD TV's were once 10K and there was no HD or very limited examples.
I know a guy who thinks HD is a myth, says he can't tell the difference, and he's Harvard educated.....As always the market sorts this stuff out. 3D has targeted a very specific market that is interested in anything new to them, (the programming speaks for itself).

I know a guy who thinks HD is a myth, says he can't tell the difference, and he's Harvard educated.....As always the market sorts this stuff out. 3D has targeted a very specific market that is interested in anything new to them, (the programming speaks for itself).
Just shows that even Harvard turns out dummies too. :D:wacko:

Last month in November, I bought a 46" /3 -D Toshiba LED HD Tv last month for $999.99 and got a Toshiba -3-D Blu-ray player with all the internet apps on it thrown in for free. Damn good price for a brand new tv and was cheaper than a non 3-D tv ,same size with only 120hz. Mine is 480hz and has the sharpest picture I've seen in a long time. So we got it for 36 months and NO interest at Conns. I will pay it off online tomorrow . We've watched ONE real 3-D pay per view on DISH and it was Captain America. We have watched a few shows upconverted to 3-D ,but it just isn't the same. I think 3-D is still just a fad and if you want to see it done correctly , you go to the movie theater.

Last month in November, I bought a 46" /3 -D Toshiba LED HD Tv last month for $999.99 and got a Toshiba -3-D Blu-ray player with all the internet apps on it thrown in for free. Damn good price for a brand new tv and was cheaper than a non 3-D tv ,same size with only 120hz. Mine is 480hz and has the sharpest picture I've seen in a long time. So we got it for 36 months and NO interest at Conns. I will pay it off online tomorrow . We've watched ONE real 3-D pay per view on DISH and it was Captain America. We have watched a few shows upconverted to 3-D ,but it just isn't the same. I think 3-D is still just a fad and if you want to see it done correctly , you go to the movie theater.
Captain America was an upconvert, watch one of the filmed in 3D movies, sports events or series ... (why I keep Directv along with the distants)

This applies to me a bit. I wanted my new TV's to have Netflix and DLNA built in, with nothing else needed. LG did that. So, I ended up with that LG TV with 4 pair of glasses from Newegg with 0 tax and 0 shipping. I have NEVER used 3D, but the Netflix and DLNA browsing is awesome.

I just want a TV that has higher resolution than 1080p so I can sit on the couch and use it as a monitor. :D I play on my 67" now, but it could look a little better. :)

I have not had time to keep up with the rumor mill so this is all old rumors that might have already been debunked.

Dish is considering a switch in switching technology over to SWIM ,
Dish has a Multi room box like the HR34 running using the RVU like the HR34
Dish to announce Tmobile partnership or buyout.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)