new dish rain Fade???

jbtcajun

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
I am in the south where it rains often.
I loose my picture with a dark cloud or high humidity.
Had VAVAVOOM since 6/4/04 been having troubles since.
Finally got Voom to set up a service call for new 24"dish.

Installs refused the 30" stating 24" on voom does as well as 30 for dish.

Installer shows up with a new box. He says the box is the problem. I said fine change the box and put the new dish. He argued with me reasoning that a larger dish is not what is needed but a larger lnb as thats what captures the single.

I tried to explain that satellite is on a very high frequency with a very small frequency width. A 20% larger dish would give that much more chance to catch a good signal. He refused to see it my way and would not recommend the new dish.

This weekend has had 60% chance of rain, around here that means 60% of the time not the area lol.

I have an old prime star antenna someone gave me.
What would voom do if they found out I installed it?
Can there be legal problems say if their stb gets hit by lightning on my dish?
What should I do? Considering dropping this Hd

I had the same problem. I live in Orlando and just had the 24" upgrade done a week before Charley hit. Took it down b4 the storm hit.
I called voOm and got a service credit for all the days i didn't get reception because of rain fade.
After a while they got wise and sent out the upgraded dish. I was losing picture for up to 5 hours at a time.
Just keep calling and getting the service credit.
You shouldn't have to pay for want you can't use.

Bruce....

jbtcajun said:
I am in the south where it rains often.
I loose my picture with a dark cloud or high humidity.
Had VAVAVOOM since 6/4/04 been having troubles since.
Finally got Voom to set up a service call for new 24"dish.

Installs refused the 30" stating 24" on voom does as well as 30 for dish.

Installer shows up with a new box. He says the box is the problem. I said fine change the box and put the new dish. He argued with me reasoning that a larger dish is not what is needed but a larger lnb as thats what captures the single.

I tried to explain that satellite is on a very high frequency with a very small frequency width. A 20% larger dish would give that much more chance to catch a good signal. He refused to see it my way and would not recommend the new dish.

This weekend has had 60% chance of rain, around here that means 60% of the time not the area lol.

I have an old prime star antenna someone gave me.
What would voom do if they found out I installed it?
Can there be legal problems say if their stb gets hit by lightning on my dish?
What should I do? Considering dropping this Hd

Sounds like they are clueless in saying that a STB change will fix rain fade, but it is true that an LNB change to a better LNB could increase the signal - but last I heard no better ones were available...

I guess the thing to see is those that have 24" dishes are you doing better? I've sat through several calls as well with clueless idiots telling me that when there are clouds in the sky I'm going to lose DBS signal. I expect comprable service to Dish/DirectTV on rain issues and they only lose signal with a nice downpour and get it back soon after.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)