New dish subscriber question....

broseph39

Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
I apologize beforehand if this is a ridiculous question but i could not seem to find the answer in the forums. I was curious if there is a way to get ota hd channels with the dish reciever somehow utilizing the ota antenna in my television. Bc i would love to get locals in hd which can only be done by switching back to the input back to cable input and watching them that way, and i cant seem to find a way to get them ota on the dish reciever.....thanks for all the help!!!

I'm confused by your references to "antenna in my television" and the mention of having to switch to "cable".

Assuming that you've actually got an OTA antenna and it comes into your TV with coaxial cable:

Remove the coaxial cable from your TV and plug it into your ViP612 instead.

If you're using cable television service to get your HD locals on your TV, you cannot use it with your ViP612.

sorry for the horribly worded question..... but basically I just am after getting my local stations in hd, because with dish there is no local hd coverage for tucson....and when i signed up for internet i was given free basic cable and i was able to get hd ota with that i believe...
With that said what is the best way to get local channels in hd?? completely new to dish and hd in general...def a noob....thanks

Put up the best antenna for your location.
AntennaWeb
Run the coax to the back of your Dish box.
Sub to locals with Dish to get the channel guide info.
Now watch HD at the highest quality available.

If you want to stick with an inside antenna only, try the Silver Sensor. Zenith. Sears. NO IMITATIONS! It's cheap enough. An outside antenna is better, of course, but you can try this.

sorry for the horribly worded question..... but basically I just am after getting my local stations in hd, because with dish there is no local hd coverage for tucson....and when i signed up for internet i was given free basic cable and i was able to get hd ota with that i believe...
With that said what is the best way to get local channels in hd?? completely new to dish and hd in general...def a noob....thanks

Welcome to the forums.:)
ota = over the air(Using an antenna)
If you are getting your locals from your cable company, you are not getting them ota.( Just to help you out)
As the others said, if you can get your locals with just rabbit ears, use that as it will be a better quality picture, and you can integrate it through your dish box.

OTA (over-the-air) comes from one and only one source: a TV antenna.

If they are delivered by satellite, we call them local into local (LIL).

If they are delivered by CATV, we call them QAM locals.

As I said earlier, the ViP612 cannot tune QAM locals (or any other kind of CATV offering).

ha....thanks alot guys....i think im gonna try the silver sensor and plug that into my vip612 and then i will have local hd correct?? or is it still a matter of wether or not i can pick them up in my location??

HD OTA thru your receiver

Im not familiar with the VIP612, but I have a VIP722 DVR. I watch my HD locals thru my receiver.
I get good ota hd reception with my atic antenna. I have my antenna cable connected thru my VIP722 along with my satellite inputs.
My ota channels show up in my satellite guide as separate channels.
for example: My local NBC channel is listed 3 times in the channel guide, one listing is SD, one is HD, and one is the local ota broadcast, which happens to be HD also.
The VIP 722 lists the ota channels in yellow, whereas the satellite channels are in blue.
I can record the ota as well as the satellite feeds at the same time with different programming. I love the VIP722.
Hope this helps

I am also new to Dish network (just got mine last week) and would also like to get my local HD OTA channels on my vip722 box. If I plug in the antenna to the vip722 what programing or setup is required? Or is it that simple, just plug it in and the locals apear?

Scan for locals in the setup menu. If you can't find it, I'll look it up for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts