New DISH subscriber.... storm signal loss on satellite 72?

silverdiskdj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 28, 2004
So I spent a very aggravating night on the phone with DISH regarding my signal strength and the storms that went through tonight.

I have done searches, and mainly find people having issues with either the upper satellite or lower satellite, but never satellite 72. I personally am having the issues with that satellite during the latest storm. Not until the clouds TOTALLY cleared out, did my signal come back for the stations on 72 (I believe all my HD national channels are on there?). I, however, was able to get satellite 61.5 and 77 (so my locals, locals in HD, and nationals in SD) no problem during most of the rain.

I just got my national HD channels back a few minutes ago, but still notice the transponders on satellite 72 are in the teens (like 12-13 right now)....

I am not sure how this can be, since this is the middle satellite... can it really get that off center that the middle satellite would go out, with the other 2 remaining fine? I guess I am just trying to get a grip regarding how this all works....

Either way, I have a technician coming tomorrow to take a look and maybe adjust the satellite a bit. I remember satellite 72 in the 50's when the weather was dry earlier on... unless something just got moved somehow.... or a tree grew more since the satellite got put in.

I am in the southeast part of WI, by the way....

Thanks for any input you can give me regarding this! More curious than anything how this all works.....

Thanks!

Jake

Sounds like it needs to be re-aimed. Also, as long he/she is coming out, unless your locals are on 77, you don't need it. Have him just aim for the best signal from 61.5 and 72. Taking a quick look, it did not appear to me you have locals on 77.

It doesn't take much movement to go from 50s to 20s.The best signal on one satellite doesn't mean the best signal on all satellites. Its kind of a give and take situation.A properly aligned dish however will be very reliable.Since you are a new subscriber either the dish was not peaked correctly or wasn't tightened down good. Either way once the tech is done you shouldn't have any problems unless its line of site

Eastern Arc here in LA comes to about 35's. So if you are getting it in teens, you have a wrong setup or a wrong alignment. Check the dish if it is indeed a Dish 1000.4 Eastern Arc. My installer had installed a dish 1000.2 with the eastern arc lnb (3 heads) and got teens on 72.7 and 30's on 61.5. I later on realized and purchased another dish on ebay 1000.4 and reinstalled with my new AI Turbo S2 and the signals went up to 35's.

If Los Angeles gets 35's. You should surely get 40's in my opinion on 72. The weakest transponder on 72 for me is TP6 which comes at about 28 and lowest I've seen on that TP is 24's. Channels come in just fine. Weather here is very clear (sunny) so have never experienced Rain Fade. On real cloudy days. the signal comes in at 25's.

The tech told me the issue was some tree limbs coming into the line of sight from one of my trees. He said because the satellite is higher up in the sky than 61.5, this is the reason that I was having issues. I think when DISH installed the satellite, the limbs weren't an issue because it was spring and not all the leaves had filled out. I cut the limbs down, and that seemed to fix the issue. Now I am consistently in the mid 40's.... which is a very positive thing!

There were problems earlier today. My locals on 61.5 and all the Sirius channels were breaking up with a lot of pixilation. Dish was awayre of the problem and it seems to be fixed. See the thread about Sirius.
Don't know if that was the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)