new dish user with a problem... hi/help!!

trinibob

Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
Midland
Well hi all jumped to a dish from cable and we are happy with all the programming but have some problems using the PPV option.
We have no phone line or internet so we must call in to dish or go online on line with our phone to order movies.
When we order a movie and try to watch it we get a error code of 890 (Hdcp) and says this event is not available to order on this tv.
Have had a technician to the house and has no idea why???
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks will try right after I get one of them cords all I have are the red white yellow cords

In the interim, you could use one of your red, white and yellow cords as a temporary fix. Just use, as an example, red into red, white into green, and yellow into blue. Make absolutely certain that this matches on both the receiver and the TV. Remember this is not the best way to set your system up, get the correct cables and you should do fine.

In the interim, you could use one of your red, white and yellow cords as a temporary fix. Just use, as an example, red into red, white into green, and yellow into blue. Make absolutely certain that this matches on both the receiver and the TV. Remember this is not the best way to set your system up, get the correct cables and you should do fine.

+1:up
You'll also need to use red/white (RCA) cables for audio--or toslink/optical cable from Dish receiver to A/V receiver.

Ed

Depending on the installer component cables were in the receiver box. Some installers scoop up all the cables but he may have left them in the box. So you may not need to buy any. Just saying..

So do you guys think that the reason for my problems dealt are that the 50$ HDMI cord is not allowing my player to broadcast to my new HD Panasonic tv?
Or should I ask for a new recover?

Well guys changed cords from the HDMI to other and ordered a movie and it worked!
So why did I buy a 1080 panasonic plasma if I can only revive in 720???
I also did a software update on the tv hooping that would work the hand shake issue out but nooooo.
Im still going to try a different HDMI cord to see if I have a cheap cord ssue but for now I can rent movies from dish network.

You can change your receiver output from 720P to 1080I if you think all you can get is 720P. Menu, 6, 8 and then change the TV type from 720P to 1080I. Next click Done and there you are.....

Describe this "cord" for me. If it is a component cable, Red, Blue, Green, it is capable of 1080I as well as 720P...... Yes, the TV is on 1080 already, but is your Dish receiver set to 1080 or 720?

Yup red green blue. But was told I could only do 720 was 40 bucks at the shack.
Dish should be set at 1080 that's whare it was setup bu the installer.

OK, just set the receiver the way I explained a few posts back and you will see 1080. The Shack guy/gal don't know shi*..... I've been doing 1080 over component cables for nearly 10 years.

Yup red green blue. But was told I could only do 720 was 40 bucks at the shack.
Dish should be set at 1080 that's whare it was setup bu the installer.

Common lie that is told by any store to get you to buy the "premium" cables. This cable here can only work up to 720p, but this one over here, made using the hairs of newborns who were baptized in the holy water blessed by the pope himself, then ran through the excrement of a unicorn, can do 1080p. It only costs $50,000.

They are all just pieces of copper with rubber around them. Doesn't matter if its the free HDMI that comes with the box, a coat hanger, or the $50,000 unicorn sh*t cables. When it comes to the "3D" rated cable, it gets worse, since you really don't need anything other than the same HDMI cable you had before.

Granted, I have seen an amazing setup with a 65" LED/LCD with $1000 surround sound reciever and Monster cables, look like sh*t because the installer forgot to switch the settings on the box from 480 to 1080... And yes, almost all broadcast is in 720p or in some cases 1080i. There is no such thing as 1080p television, only blu-ray playback and some On-Demand titles.

Just 1 little tweak to your most excellent soliloquy, almost all broadcast is in 1080i or in some cases 720p.

Fox and ABC OTA are 720p, NBC, CBS and PBS are 1080i.

On Cable/Satellite nearly all channels are 1080i, only the ESPN family and I believe NFL network are 720p, maybe a few others.

I believe you are right. I couldn't remember if the sat co's downresed them for bandwidth issues on most channels or not. The correct broadcast standard usually mandates a 1080i stream, at least OTA broadcasts.

Point still remains, there is a great difference between 1080i and 1080p when it comes to data rates and almost all cables will handle 1080p data rates...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts