New Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mcraig

Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
First time post so take it easy on me:) I live outside of Wilkes Barre Scranton. Is their any news on when we will get HD locals via the dish. Also Do I even need the dish if I get great reception OTA with my stealth. What are the pro's and con's of the new dish? Also is there any possible way I could some how get the Boston, MA Locals. I miss my redsox:) I have no desire to shell out 179.00 bucks for MLB EI. I did the NFL package for 2 years not any more to much dough. Any and all advice is great.

You would also need a new MPEG4 receiver; the new dish have 5 LNBs so when new channels go on to the 99 or 102 slots, other than the HD locals, you will be ready to receive them that day. No real cons to the dish other than the time to change it; upgrades and new tech is inevitable.

There are about 20 threads with the HD LIL list, but I am not sure about Wilkes-Barre's rumored date. What is your DMA rank?

What is your distance from the Boston towers? You could try a quality high gain fringe OTA antenna.

charper1 said:
What is your distance from the Boston towers? You could try a quality high gain fringe OTA antenna.
I may be way wrong on this but I am pretty sure that Eastern PA is a little too far to receive signals from Eastern MA. Unless there are VERY strong relay towers in Western MA, I think Boston OTA is a pipe dream.

I am sure it is too, I wasn't sure just how far he really was from the towers. Anything past 120 miles would be tough to non-existant. I assume he is farther than that when you give that geographical reference. I wasn't sure exactly where Wilkes-Barre was.

As the crow flies, it's anywhere from 200-300 miles to the general area he described. It would be hugely difficult even with a really big tower in his yard...not to mention the rather hilly terrain between Eastern PA and Boston.

mcraig said:
First time post so take it easy on me:) I live outside of Wilkes Barre Scranton. Is their any news on when we will get HD locals via the dish.
According to the following list, Wilkes Barre Scranton is DMA #54. There is a good chance they will be in the next group of 24. D* has not officially announced the next group of 24, so the date is still anyone's guess. :)

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html

atp1313 said:
As the crow flies, it's anywhere from 200-300 miles to the general area he described. It would be hugely difficult even with a really big tower in his yard...not to mention the rather hilly terrain between Eastern PA and Boston.

I don't think the op meant ota from Boston, but on the dish. Virtually all of the Sox games are on NESN. Maybe he doesn't realize that.

Thanks everyone. I do relize I am not going to get OTA Boston In Wilkes Barre Scranton. I was wondering if I could Move But Not Move? And Yes I know Nesn Caries All the Sox Games ,but I only get the NY feeds (YES MSG FSNY SPRT NY) The Only thing good about that is I get to see the Sox play the Yanks.

mcraig said:
Thanks everyone. I do relize I am not going to get OTA Boston In Wilkes Barre Scranton. I was wondering if I could Move But Not Move? And Yes I know Nesn Caries All the Sox Games ,but I only get the NY feeds (YES MSG FSNY SPRT NY) The Only thing good about that is I get to see the Sox play the Yanks.

Well if you get YES, what other rsn do you need? :D :D Yes, you can "move" to the Boston area and get NESN, but you might not be in the footprint of the spotbeam in order to pick up the local Boston channels, if that matters to you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts