New DishHD Packages to be added February

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think it is sad that you have to get the plat package to get the two HD Premimum channels. I am very new to HD but I love it. I think the HD packages should be totally different from the rest of the regular programming.

I also live in a remote area and I get the major broadcast OTA in HD so I dont need any locals. The OTA at least is not a Lite version.

Tonight will be intresting I just started my lease on my 811 last month.

steve

You don't have to get the plat package 2 get the premiums, they're just available in the plat. Nothing changed there. you still ge teh HD version of hbo and sho with the regular hbo/sho packs

Thanks

What would be good is if they offer just the HD Premiums (HBO, Showtime) and not have to get the others. I would rather pay a reduced rate for the 2 channels than have to buy the whole amount for the package.

steve

Please excuse me if this has been clarified, but from the press release in the OP:
With up to four different programming packages to choose from, DishHD customers can find an option that best fits their viewing needs. For as little as $54.99 a month, customers can access the entire 25-channel DishHD lineup, and get more than 70 all-digital standard definition channels plus their local channels in standard and high definition.
Current DishHD channels include:
VOOM Networks
Discovery HD -----------------
ESPN HD Animania HD Monsters HD
HBO HD Equator HD Rave HD
HD Net Film Fest HD Rush HD
HD Net Movies Gallery HD Ultra HD
HD Pay-Per-View HD News Kung Fu HD
Showtime HD
TNT HD
On Feb. 1, DISH Network will begin transmitting newly added HD channels in MPEG4, a signal compression standard developed by MPEG (Moving Picture Experts Group). MPEG4 allows DISH Network to maximize the bandwidth available on its satellites and offer the most robust lineup of HD channels in the nation.
New DishHD channels available only in MPEG4 include:
VOOM Networks
ESPN2 HD ------------------
Universal HD Family Room HD
HD Locals Gameplay HD
Treasure HD
World Cinema HD
WorldSport HD
Unless I'm missing something, they included the premiums (HBO/SHO) in their list of 25. Unless there is another network purposely excluded from this press release, you simply cannot get to 25. But there it is, "For as little as $54.99 a month, customers can access the entire 25-channel DishHD lineup".
Can someone clarify? Is the press release just plain wrong?

it says access not get, big difference. The DishHD pack which consists of 25 channels, has 4 different levels,

BFG said:
it says access not get, big difference. The DishHD pack which consists of 25 channels, has 4 different levels,

Wow, now that's semantics ;)

I guess that number is, in reality, 25 now, with the announcement of Scripps HD. Plus the premiums (existing and upcoming).

I currently have a SuperDish...was installed appx. 18 months ago. I currently just get the 120 package...no HD. If I were to want the new HD DVR and HD package, would I need to get a new dish as well? Or will the SuperDish be able to handle it? I know it won't matter...still $299 fee either way...just didn't know if the installer would have to get back on the roof to take down the old one and put up a new one.

fenwah said:
I currently have a SuperDish...was installed appx. 18 months ago. I currently just get the 120 package...no HD. If I were to want the new HD DVR and HD package, would I need to get a new dish as well? Or will the SuperDish be able to handle it? I know it won't matter...still $299 fee either way...just didn't know if the installer would have to get back on the roof to take down the old one and put up a new one.

You need 129 or 61.5 to get all the HD. If you still need your super dish, then they would probably add a second dish pointing at either 61.5 (if you are East Coast) or 129 (most of US). That would require upgrading switches to handle 4 satellites.

They have these new packages, gold, plat so on, but just what is included in these packages so I will know which one is right for me.

shodobe said:
They have these new packages, gold, plat so on, but just what is included in these packages so I will know which one is right for me.

All these HD packages include the regular 7 HD channels + all 15 of the Voom channels, Bronz adds AT60, Silver Adds AT120, Gold adds AT180 and Platnum adds AEP.

steve617 said:
Thanks
What would be good is if they offer just the HD Premiums (HBO, Showtime) and not have to get the others. I would rather pay a reduced rate for the 2 channels than have to buy the whole amount for the package.
steve

I have always felt this would be wonderful but I don't think it will happen anytime in the near future.

so there won't be "a la carte" anymore for JUST the HD channels? That's what I currently have with dish (HD package + voom). Now, if I upgrade to the VIP 622 will I have to add the other programming? If that's the case, forget it. I already have them through direct and I'm in a 2 year commitment already with them

Chris Freeland said:
All these HD packages include the regular 7 HD channels + all 15 of the Voom channels, Bronz adds AT60, Silver Adds AT120, Gold adds AT180 and Platnum adds AEP.

Fgsilva said:
so there won't be "a la carte" anymore for JUST the HD channels? That's what I currently have with dish (HD package + voom). Now, if I upgrade to the VIP 622 will I have to add the other programming? If that's the case, forget it. I already have them through direct and I'm in a 2 year commitment already with them

If you currently have just HD, then you must be owning your receiver

If you buy a 622 then yes you can still purchase the HD pack for $20 plus a $6 access fee, plus a $5.98 DVR fee.

If you upgrade to a lease, the lease (just like it is now) requires ATprogramming and HD (soon to be bundled under 1 named under the DishHD packs)

HBO doesn't care whether you get 10 of their channels or one of them.... you normally pay one price since the same content tends to get distributed over all the channels, with a few exceptions.....

I could be wrong, but that's the way I've always understood it.,....

ok then. thanks. Hmmm, I think I saw somewhere that the new DVR will cost the same as the 942 (around $700) so I guess it will be bye-bye dish in a couple of months!

BFG said:
If you buy a 622 then yes you can still purchase the HD pack for $20 plus a $6 access fee, plus a $5.98 DVR fee.
If you upgrade to a lease, the lease (just like it is now) requires ATprogramming and HD (soon to be bundled under 1 named under the DishHD packs)

BFG said:
This is really the first that I have heard about this. I to have the HD only pack plus VOOM and own my 811. It sounds like it would be true because that has always been the case. I couldn't lease before because I was unwilling to sub to a pack other than the HD. I'm going to keep what I have and not upgrade. If I'm forced out then Dish loses a customer.....I will not be buying another HD receiver for the price that it is available for.

SRW1000 said:
That's true. Just don't call 1280x1080i HD. And don't justify it by saying that most customer's can't tell the difference or don't have displays to see the difference.
Scott

Exactly Right, I don't see that resolution in the recognized ATSC formats for HD. Dish Network does not offer the most HD in the country just the most ED in the country. I personnally have a TV capable of 1920x1080 progressive. I can see the difference. I hope someone at the FCC nails E* and D* for misleading their customers by not offering a HD broadcast but saying they are. Just because most customers can't tell or can't receive doesn't mean that what they are doing right. Those of you who say I just want more channels, you will be paying the price six months from now after locking into your commitments for MPEG-4 receivers when cable providers are finally getting the clue about HD and start to offer at lower costs than E* or D* are offering there HD-lite. My cable comapny just started offering 16 (going to 20 by the end of the year) channels of HD for $20 less per month and I get 6Mb internet access included in the price. Now I don't have to worry about rain fade or waiting a month for E* to replace my dish (and charging me while I wait) after the next hurricane .

I'm nervous. I just signed up as a new customer on Saturday, the 14th. I got the whole HD package and I got the 942 and 811. I had to pay the non-refundable $250.00 for the 942. Now I read this chain and I can't believe this 942 will be obsolete next month. I will be calling Monday and see about either cancelling the installation or trying to get a guarantee to get a 622 when it gets here for no cost. Anyone else in my boat?

Mike

I just called DISH and they told me they could not guarantee me that there would be no upgrade charge, so I ended up cancelling my installation. I can't believe a company would noyt work harder to keep a brand new customer. This does not bode well for trying to switch from Dave again.

Mike

BobMurdoch said:
HBO doesn't care whether you get 10 of their channels or one of them.... you normally pay one price since the same content tends to get distributed over all the channels, with a few exceptions.....
I could be wrong, but that's the way I've always understood it.,....
Dish currently offers the AT120 and AT180 Value Packs that include all the HBO and Cinemax channels at some discount over adding both separately. I wonder if they'll have something similar with the HD Silver and Gold packages?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts