New DTV questions ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yel-mel

Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
I am thinking of getting Direct TV. I have a couple of simple questions.
In my area I am seeing ads for DTV with service for 4 rooms ( receivers ) , however in the small print they say $ 4.99 extra per month for receivers 2-4. Is this the typical set up ? I guess if you want the basic 39.99 / month package it is $ 39.99 + 4.99 + 4.99 + 4.99 , every month , is this the best package out there ?

My other question is how fast can you flip through channels ? I like to flip-flip-flip....fast. We have Dish network at my work/business and when you change channels there is a long pause between them , very slow. How does the changing of channels compair to cable ? Sorry for the strange question but it would bug me if if I could not race through the stations like I currently do with cable. Most people in my neghborhood seem to have the DTV dish vs the DishNet , so I assume DTV might be the better one

Thanks for any input :)

Most of the times, the flipping duration is under 2 seconds. This duration cannot be shortened much, it is mostly due to how long it takes to get the signal tuned in and how the MPEG decompression works.

/Edit : It shouldn't be that different from digital cable TV. But maybe you were comparing to some analogue cable service?

yel-mel said:
I am thinking of getting Direct TV. I have a couple of simple questions.
In my area I am seeing ads for DTV with service for 4 rooms ( receivers ) , however in the small print they say $ 4.99 extra per month for receivers 2-4. Is this the typical set up ? I guess if you want the basic 39.99 / month package it is $ 39.99 + 4.99 + 4.99 + 4.99 , every month , is this the best package out there ?

My other question is how fast can you flip through channels ? I like to flip-flip-flip....fast. We have Dish network at my work/business and when you change channels there is a long pause between them , very slow. How does the changing of channels compair to cable ? Sorry for the strange question but it would bug me if if I could not race through the stations like I currently do with cable. Most people in my neghborhood seem to have the DTV dish vs the DishNet , so I assume DTV might be the better one

Thanks for any input :)

Yep, the $4.99 per receiver (after the first one) is the norm. Dish charges the same and I also think Voom does as well. It is a fine print thing that people often miss and usually winds up ticking a lot of folks off. I have done a ton of installs where the customer had no idea that the 2nd,3rd and/or 4th receivers were going to be extra. I think Directv should be a little more up front about the extra receiver(s) fee.
As for channel flipping I have noticed that the Directv Tivo's have a lag but the standard receivers are a lot quicker. If you are planning to do some speed surfing, then I suggest using the guide menu to actually see the title of the other programs before switching channels. It's a whole lot easier to guide surf during the commercials than it is to channel surf especially when you've got over 125 channels with the basic service.

Yep , I currently have standard cable ( not digital ). With no premium channels the bill is around $ 55 per month. Will I notice a quality difference with the digital signal. I have never had satellite before. Still trying to deside to make the move or not

Thanks so much for the info

yel-mel said:
Yep , I currently have standard cable ( not digital ). With no premium channels the bill is around $ 55 per month. Will I notice a quality difference with the digital signal. I have never had satellite before. Still trying to deside to make the move or not

Thanks so much for the info

well for the same 55 bucks or less you can get so much more then you have with cable

I don't think satellite channel changing will ever be as fast as analog. I remember when I first got digital cable and I thought that the channels changing were so slow and it drove me to the point of insanity. Then after a month I got used to it and I don't even notice it any more.

I have DTV now and I change channels pretty quick but I know which ones to go to and generally don't wait for each channel in between to come in.

Two of Dish Networks 322 recievers would save you $10.00 a month on the bill as you will only be charged for having one additional reciever. They can be a mess to wire. Try calling a local Dish retailer and ask him if he could stop over and explain how it would be wired. What state are you in??

What is a 322 receiver ? How is it different than the standard one they install ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts