New DTV Subscriber Install Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pratt

Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
Plymouth, WI
Hello All!,

I signed up for D** at Best Buy a week ago to take advantage of the free Sunday Ticket, the autopay rebate and other specials along with the $200 BB gift card that I will receive since I bought a qualifying HDTV and the D** package.

My question is this, I do not hav LOS from my roof but would have it about 15 ft into my front yard. Will having a pole mount in this situation cost me extra $? Just curious. I will get the service either way because I am sick of overpaying for substandard cable service.

Thanks for your help and thanks for all the great information you have on this site!

Before all the installers start to b#^^#, a pole mount IS INCLUDED at no cost if required for LOS. I forget how many feet of cable bury is included, but the pole itself does not cost extra IF there is no LOS.

Down the door is partially right. The pole is included but only trenching and cabling up to 6ft from the house (where ever they have to connect into the home). After that it is whatever the going rate is for RG6.

convem24 said:
Down the door is partially right. The pole is included but only trenching and cabling up to 6ft from the house (where ever they have to connect into the home). After that it is whatever the going rate is for RG6.

That's also incorrect. A standard 18 is $75 unless it's LOS issue then it's free and cabling and trenching is up to 20 ft after that it's a $1 a foot.

Last I heard it was a dollar a foot !

Thanks guys! I just called to confirm my installation and the guy on the phone didn't have a clue about the pole mount. Just reading from a script. Even said something like "don't worry about the tree, the installer can add an amplifier for the signal because leaves don't effect the signal...". I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying. I will let you know how it goes Wednesday between 8am and noon.

on't worry about the tree, the installer can add an amplifier for the signal because leaves don't effect the signal..

:eek:

hmmm....I can get signal on one satellite with my big dish in the winter when the leaves are off the trees yet now I get no signal because the leaves are on....

Oh how I love our call centers! Add an amplifier!? Really!? Why can't they FORCE call center employees to be vet techs or something! I hate hearing this!

Hutch1814 said:
Oh how I love our call centers! Add an amplifier!? Really!? Why can't they FORCE call center employees to be vet techs or something! I hate hearing this!

Because then they would have to pay them a living wage :) !!!

I will ask the installer today when they come. I live in an apartment and can't mount to the building. I understand this isn't LOS since they don't have the option but I an curious to what they will say.

I'll post back later tonight with any info I get.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SatelliteGuys

Tree amplifier....FREE pole..............?
Does anyone know where the FREE pole came from? I know it, like other stuff has been added......just, how do they explain that it was a chargeable item and now it is not?

Joe

Sherms24 said:
I will ask the installer today when they come. I live in an apartment and can't mount to the building. I understand this isn't LOS since they don't have the option but I an curious to what they will say.

I'll post back later tonight with any info I get.

Joe Diamond said:
Tree amplifier....FREE pole..............?
Does anyone know where the FREE pole came from? I know it, like other stuff has been added......just, how do they explain that it was a chargeable item and now it is not?

Joe, the "free" pole for LOS installs has been free since at least 2007--maybe installers got away with charging for them in the past, but It's not a new change...

As for the apartment complex install, the pole is only included for LOS issues, not permission issues. Sure you may find a salesperson or support rep to tell you otherwise, but they are incorrect and I doubt you find a installer willing to do it. I had to pay for my mount when I had D* installed in my apartment and I knew the rules inside and out back then...

Yah I knew I would have to pay for the pole stuff. But the installer said he couldn't find the right satellite, only the left. So I don't get it afterall.

Which really irritates me.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SatelliteGuys

Get a second opinion. It seems you're getting some poor customer service. You may try a local retailer as they are more willing to get it in. Keep in mind techs don't like pole mounts, so often they will find an excuse not to get it done.

As far as pole mounts go I love them! Anything from having to take the ladder down for! I have never charged a customer for a pole mount. Most people that switch from cable do it for money reasons so why would I charge them? This morning I had a perfect LOS from the roof but the guy asked if I would put it on a pole for fear of a leak and I replied with SURE! pole mounts are easy and if done correctly just as solid of a mount as any. I will prolly never understand why so many people charge for them, 10 minutes and BAM you're done!

As far as pole mounts go I love them! Anything from having to take the ladder down for! I have never charged a customer for a pole mount. Most people that switch from cable do it for money reasons so why would I charge them? This morning I had a perfect LOS from the roof but the guy asked if I would put it on a pole for fear of a leak and I replied with SURE! pole mounts are easy and if done correctly just as solid of a mount as any. I will prolly never understand why so many people charge for them, 10 minutes and BAM you're done!

Your doing them in Concrete, right ?

Yup, I put between 80-120lbs in per pole. I use to beat one end but I quit, I take a foot plate off of a mast and use 5/16 and 3/8 self rappers to put it on the pole. Build my dish, run any lines that need ran, ground it then put my dish up after the concrete has settled a little. Seems to be just as solid as a roof mount

Yup, I put between 80-120lbs in per pole. I use to beat one end but I quit, I take a foot plate off of a mast and use 5/16 and 3/8 self rappers to put it on the pole. Build my dish, run any lines that need ran, ground it then put my dish up after the concrete has settled a little. Seems to be just as solid as a roof mount

I too prefer pole mounts for dish installations.

I use to not be a fan of them but I still didn't charge, after doing so many up here it just comes like everything and I'm done before I know it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts