New Eastern Arc install problems

jsq

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Matamoras PA
I had Dish installed yesterday and got a 722 and a 222 receiver. I am not getting my locals. It says it is the 61.5 satellite. It searches for the satellite and then gives me a message that says not to call, that dish is working on the problem. It was happening when the tech was here, but it was getting past 9 P.M. and he had a 2hr drive home. I will give them a call tommorow, and he will come back out, but he seemed kind of dumbfounded over the situation. He had a good signal on the the other satellites, and also the 61.5, but then it started dropping and coming back in. He is also showing a good signal on his meter. He said it could be dish and that it might download overnight and fix itself. Well it did not, and I am still stuck with no locals, and some other channels. Also, the guide won't download. They did pop on for about 5 minutes this morning, and looked great, but then went back out. He also claimed that the eastern arc being new, that others were having some problems.
I receive the NY locals, and am located in Matamoras PA.
Does anyone have any idea's or has anyone else been experiencing problems?
Also, I do reset the box with no luck, and it is happening on both boxes.

I have Eastern Arc and am in the NY DMA. I just checked and am receiving all of my locals (both HD and SD) over 61.5 without a problem. I have had Eastern Arc for about three months now and have never had the problem you describe.

If you're missing channels from 61.5 other than your locals, I'd say the dish isn't aligned properly.

If it were only your HD locals missing, I'd say the spotbeam for NY doesn't cover Matamoras, like the spotbeam for Scranton doesn't cover Williamsport.

I am missing channels other than just my locals, and thanks for letting me know that it is up an running bpiddle.
Jim, if it was pointed wrong, would it still have come in ok for like 5 minutes this morning?

My signal on the 77 sat is a 50, and my signal on my 72 sat is a 59. The tech seemed to think that these were good strengths, and also told me with the eastern arc dish that you had to add 30. Have I been Bamboozled? :confused:

I guess I missed the part where you said it was working before, sorry. Maybe it's a bad connection that gave out as it got cold? Just a guess.

I believe he is speaking of this screen?

2m7ev08.jpg

What I have found if you do NOT call it doesn't fix itself. A check switch will clear it sometimes permanently and sometimes it comes back. Basically I have no answer as to what it is and have seeked those answers to no avail so far. Anybody have a definite answer to a permanent fix for this and what causes it?

I believe he is speaking of this screen?

2m7ev08.jpg

What I have found if you do NOT call it doesn't fix itself. A check switch will clear it sometimes permanently and sometimes it comes back. Basically I have no answer as to what it is and have seeked those answers to no avail so far. Anybody have a definite answer to a permanent fix for this and what causes it?

That's IT !!!!! What is a check switch? I saw it in the menu. Do I just hit the button and the box does its thing or is it something that a tech has to do. Like I said, it was still doing when the tech left, so he is coming back out when I call tommorow. I just didn't have time today with the holiday and all. I love the way the message says not to call. I have the techs cell phone ##. Very good guy, and did a nice job running the wires and all. Like I said, it was after 9 P.M, and he still had another call, just a fix not an install, up the road, and he had a 2 hr drive home, so I was fine with letting him go. He didn't have that much experience with the eastern arc dishes, as they are new to the area I guess. Thanks for the pic and your reply.

this is not just with EA as I have only seen it on western arc so far

check switch is

menu
check switch
test
yes
done
let it lock onto satellite and show satellite number at green bar on bottom of screen then done then zero or yes until your back to TV

iirc

sometimes this will fix it permanently and other times it will come back. I still have NOT found a definite reason what causes it or how to fix it for good.

Ok, so I go to the screen with the check switch, and lo an behold, the satellite is showing signal, and I have all of my channels, and I didn't do anything. I guess I scared it. I know the tech did the check switch thing last night, and it didn't seem to work.
One thing that is scaring me a bit is that the signal is only 55 for strength, and it is clear out tonight. Now the tech said that with the eastern arc, that you have to add 30 to the signal number, which I'm not to sure about. He has it pointing toward a tree, but says that with his sight tool, that it clears with no problem. I'm a little nervous that when it rains or snows even lightly that I might lose signal, if the strength is to low. Has anyone heard of this add 30 thing, with the eastern arc?

which satellite is reading those numbers?

doesn't sound that bad from what EA I've seen so far. sounds about right to normal reading for 61.5 around here

Never heard of this add 30 thing tho sounds like BS to me

Sounded like BS to me also, checked again, and the 65 and 77 were reading in the 60's and the 74 ( I beleive) was reading in the upper 40's. It's still working, which was better than the 5 minutes that it lasted this morning.

Regarding the "add 30" comment, he's probably talking about the fact the scale has been recalibrated downward. The current 50 probably was an 80 on the old scale, and should be plenty strong enough. My guess is anything over 30 will be fine, though higher is better (naturally!).

fitzie

IT probably didn't have anything to do with the OP signal strength.

The message "sorry for the interruption" was prolly an uplink problem from the local station to DISH!!!!!
fred

I actually got through to American tech support. They seem to think that it is a low signal problem. I have a tech coming out on Monday. I'll let you know how I make out.

I actually got through to American tech support. They seem to think that it is a low signal problem. I have a tech coming out on Monday. I'll let you know how I make out.

Tune to your HD locals.. then go to the point dish screen. What satellite, transponder, and signal does it show? Then change the transponder to a few others that are active in your area. Let us know the signal strengths of 4 or 5 other transponders on this satellite.

I'm thinking you might be on the fringe of the spotbeam.

Tune to your HD locals.. then go to the point dish screen. What satellite, transponder, and signal does it show? Then change the transponder to a few others that are active in your area. Let us know the signal strengths of 4 or 5 other transponders on this satellite.

I'm thinking you might be on the fringe of the spotbeam.

On the 72, I'm a 59, on the 77 its 45, and on the 61.5 I am a 47. This is on a cloudy day. When changing the transponder #'s, it remains about the same. When I called tech support yesterday, she said that the signals seemed pretty weak, and mentioned that the dish may need to be moved.The guy has the dish pointed towards a tree, which he said that it clears, but I am really beginning to wonder. I have a tech coming out on Monday morning, but it is supposed to be crappy weather here on Monday.
If they have to move the dish, which is on the roof, what is the best way to make sure that he takes care of the holes that the screws made. I really don't want this to create any leaks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts