New easy way to upgrade Azbox Elite / Ultra / HD / HD+ from Official Firmware to OpenRSI

Valasante

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
49n 2.2e
[h=1]Hello OpenRSI fans,

OpenRSI has done it again, they found an easy way for the people running Official Firmware on Azbox Elite / Ultra / HD / HD+

Please watch the movie:

Upgrading has never been so easy.

NOTE: This procedure is based on an installation on the DOM module and NOT on a USB stick.

And please, keep in mind: Use this at your own risk !!!

To upgrade:

First make sure the "Hardware acceleration" is DISABLED, this is very important !!!!

Make sure you have a internet connection, and please use a LAN network cable.

Then change in the settings menu the firmware download url to: http://www.openrsi.org

Click on OK and relax. Updating can take appr. 25 minutes.

After a successful installation, use the online update feature in OpenRSi. You can start this feature by pressing the blue button on your remote and selecting Software Management -> Software update.

Have fun !!![/h]

Nice and can you return to original the same way by LAN??

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

And who is going to be the first to try it out and go through the unknown as the op does not say what the new RSI firmware does or what features to even expect.
Then what happens if you decide you do not like it?
Your stuck with a boat anchor?
It is posts like these that need a lot more clarification before they come in here. Just saying "Use this at your own risk !!! " is not giving much hope of anything.

There are several people how have installed it and are full of praises. Please check on the Openrsi site for their comments. I have not done it because I want to preserve my Premium with original FW since my other three STB run enigma2

There are several people how have installed it and are full of praises. Please check on the Openrsi site for their comments. I have not done it because I want to preserve my Premium with original FW since my other three STB run enigma2

OK so lets get this straight: And before anyone says anything, remember I have 4 azboxs here and I am not saying this against anyone in particular but it has to be said!

You post an article about something others have mentioned but you have no first hand knowledge because you do not want to try it out on your own receiver.

Just how is that helping out the unsuspecting person who stumbles on this and does it and then finds he no longer has the ability to blindscan, or use the outside editor programs they have been using up to this point in time. Just how is that helping someone else?

If you are going to post this kind of thing then at least have the kuhunas to test it out yourself!

Or the op could have changed the post to say something like, "Hey, I have heard some people saying they are testing out a different firmware" Anyone know more about it?
Or they could have just posted a link to the site where this was taken place to direct those interested over there where the questions could get answered and left anything else out of here.

Instead the op posted like this was a forgone conclusion based on internet chatter that has not been tested out by the OP nor anyone else on this forum for that matter AFAIK.

Now I am not saying this is a bad piece of firmware or anything, I am saying that this is all based on hearsay and even the op has stated they have not tried this so why should anyone else try it out ?

Are YOU ready to field the questions about this firmware ? If not then this should never have been posted here.

Having gone back and forth between E2 and OFW too many time to count, I'm in complete agreement with Stargaze on this one. Releasing a method for going directly from OFW->RSI was really creative however not providing a direct pathway back is a bit concerning. Do I personally think I could recover? Yes, but there should be zero uncertainty or question about what to do should one want to return to orignal firmware. At the very least, I would hope someone would say the process to return from RSI->OFW is the same as RTi->OFW which would be fine. Showing a video of going back to OFW would be equally impressive.

For the record, I have not installed RTI E2 1.7, which is the latest version for HD boxes and is likely what RSI is using for its base code. From what I have read, there are known issues with the blindscan in 1.7 which are reportedly being addressed. Unless you are interested in testing out RSI for a drive, I wouldn't consider it as a replacment for OFW at this time, although it may be close.

on my EliteHD where is this blindscan of mine I might lose?

Also my youtube and web browser are kinda crappy. I'm running the latest official firmware.

How about the satellite list...is that fixed?

Can you take a MPEG.ts video from another machine and play it locally by just moving the hard drive?

Last edited:
While I don't speak for anyone from RTI, a good source conveyed that v1.8 is imminent which should address some of the bugs and hopefully improve the blindscan. I'd wait just a bit longer even for the Elite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts