New Episode Timer Warning: 2005 programs set to be skipped

Ned Dorsey

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2004
Reno
I was reviewing my timers this morning and noticed that new versions of "Fear Factor" and "Las Vegas" with new, 2005 episodes on Jan. 3 are set to be skipped due to non-current season episodes. I'm not sure if this will change on Jan. 1 - but it's something to look out for.

Another thing I've noticed is that I don't see skipped timers in the "Daily Schedule", and yes I have it set to show skipped timers. The only way I see them is when I select the show in the "Timers List" then I can see which episodes will or will not be skipped. Anyone else having this problem in Single Mode?

In other words... my screen would not show the skipped timer as shown in this picture by Bizzach http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=2801 The program would not appear at all in this list on my 522.

I don't know about that problem (hope they fix it before the 1st!), but on that screen in the pic, you should be able to select "show skip" and it'll show them. Then it changes to 'hide skip' when you do that.
Does that not work?

^^ My screen looks just like yours showing "Hide Skip", but it's not showing any skipped timers. Maybe it only shows with Dish Pass events (I noticed you had a lot of those in your screen shots)? I don't have any Dish Pass events - only New and M-F timers. Or it might be a Single Mode fluke?

I missed a show because it was "skipped". For some reason it thought that it was identical to one I had recorded. (Which it wasn't) :( I have to pay careful attention to ones it thinks it doesn't need. (and this was one of my old time-based recording, not NBR)

Ned Dorsey said:
Maybe it only shows with Dish Pass events (I noticed you had a lot of those in your screen shots)? I don't have any Dish Pass events - only New and M-F timers. Or it might be a Single Mode fluke?
Nope, those are all old-fashioned timers, before I set any DishPass events (I still only have a couple of DP events set!).
I believe my receiver was set in single mode at that time, but that really *shouldn't* matter... I don't know what to tell ya! :(

I have noticed this issue as well with two shows set to record news year. With NBR does it detect whether a show was previously on the hard drive such as a history list so that it knows not to record it again even if you delete it from the DVR Events screen? If so is it tuner specific?

^^ I haven't seen such a list, but I have experienced a situation where 2 of the same episodes of a New Episodes timer aired twice last week. The second one was skipped. I deleted the first showing before the second one was set to be skipped, and the show was still skipped.

Maybe they defined "current season" (2004-2005) as "current calendar year" (2004). So a 2005 episode won't be current until January, and once we reach January, episodes from this month won't be current season.

2005 New Episode Update

Happy New Year... I woke up this morning to check the status of my timers for 2005 episodes. As of this morning all 2005 episodes through Friday are still automatically skipped due to non-current season epiode. However, from Saturday Jan. 8 and beyond 2005 episodes are NOT being skipped. I'm not sure if I have received a EPG update this year (only 9 hours long as I write this), so maybe the 2005 episodes through this Friday will change to not being skipped once the EPG updates ??

Bottom Line... Watch your 2005 New Episode timers this week - you may have to manually undo the skipped timer.

A suggestion for Dish... make 2004 and 2005 episodes "New Episodes" through March, then change it to 2005 only. I wouldn't mind re-watching some "New" December episodes in February - since I was watching "New" January episodes in December. Or better yet, have the programs use the "New" tag off the EPG - like TiVo does :)

Ned Dorsey said:
Or better yet, have the programs use the "New" tag off the EPG - like TiVo does :)
You hit the nail on the head! I was looking forward to NBR because I assumed they'd implement that feature.
Instead, I'm getting shows set with "new episodes" from a year ago! Geez! How hard is it to include a line or two of code telling the box to record if "New." is in the info?? I haven't even been using 'Dish Pass' because it's recording OLD shows!

Until this post, I always assumed that was happening.

I also noticed the entire NEW ABC Wednesday Night (Alias/Lost) was being skipped, when it is completely new. What would be the technical answer for these being skipped? How could the NBR possibly think they are re-runs?

I had to re-create several timers because of this. Hopefully they'll have it fixed before next January. :)

I noticed the same thing and the eps are NOT showing up in the schedule even though "show skipped" is enabled (I even tried disabling and reenabling to no avail). I have some 2005 eps that worked and others that skipped. I have a feeling some of the formatting of the guide info may have changed and they haven't compensated for it. I've noticed the 2005 seems to move around as does the NEW tag.

The only way i've found to deal with this is to step through the guide and find all my shows, select them and then they show up in the schedule, then unskip them. what a pain.

My EPG updated yesterday as I tried to scroll past next Sunday. I waited until this morning to give it time to update the timers - yet the 2005 new episodes through Friday are still being skipped. So I have manually had to "Restore" the skipped new 2005 episodes.

strrlvr said:
I also noticed the entire NEW ABC Wednesday Night (Alias/Lost) was being skipped, when it is completely new. What would be the technical answer for these being skipped? How could the NBR possibly think they are re-runs?
Anyone check to see if this (skipping new shows) is happening on DirecTivo's? Maybe the TV channel is listing it wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts