New equipment on Ebay

Status
Please reply by conversation.

panchopantera

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
I just bought a new R10 reciever on Ebay from a merchant that sells satellite equipment. The equipment was brand new, with a brand new sealed P5 card. Now, I've been reading about problems when trying to activate equipment not bought either through DTV or a big chain store... is this true?

If this is true, is there any way around it so that I can activate it?

Since I did not buy the equipment with them, will they waive the 2-yr commitment?

Thanks for any help..

I bought 2 IRDs off of ebay and had no issues activating and only got hit with a 1yr add-on agreement. One was an additional HD IRD added to a 9yo account and the other replaced an aging Sony SAT-A2 IRD.

panchopantera said:
I just bought a new R10 reciever on Ebay from a merchant that sells satellite equipment. The equipment was brand new, with a brand new sealed P5 card. Now, I've been reading about problems when trying to activate equipment not bought either through DTV or a big chain store... is this true?

If this is true, is there any way around it so that I can activate it?

Since I did not buy the equipment with them, will they waive the 2-yr commitment?

Thanks for any help..
They will not let you activate this if you are a "NEW" customer. Current D* subs can activate any new equipment by calling D*. They only thing that change regard to activating equipment is you can no longer do it online. As for the 2 yr commitment! There is "NO WAY" around this. New D* rules require a 2 yr commitment for any advance equipment activations ( this includes DVR's, HD DVR's and HD Receivers.)! However some long time subs have been able to get a 1 year commitment instead of 2!

Whoa back the truck up...this is the first that I've heard about D* not acivating new equipment on a new account. What gives and is there a way around it.

I think he means if you are trying to startup for the very 1st time & with non-dealer gear, but I might be wrong.

Well that might be me out in la la land... I've got an account right now but I don't know all the info used to set it up (broker from Canada). I'm going to phone D* tomorrow and try to find out my account info but if I can't I have to open a new account and I've got a brand new HR10 ready to go :no

Izzy_Asper_Sucks said:
Whoa back the truck up...this is the first that I've heard about D* not acivating new equipment on a new account. What gives and is there a way around it.
Sorry! I wasnt clear! I meant for new first time subscribers not current subs who install Hd for the 1st time!
charper1 said:
I think he means if you are trying to startup for the very 1st time & with non-dealer gear, but I might be wrong.
Thats what I ment! Thanks Charper1

Status
Please reply by conversation.